Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old February 15th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Red face Constant Crying

I have a friend who has a Siamese (STORM..about 14 yrs old)... he cries all day and all night... I know the feeling... I used to have an elderly cat who cried all night...I got NO SLEEP what-so-ever. When a man/woman gets no sleep... one could get a little cranky.

Now, I should mention, this cat has been to the vet and other than the normal problems associated with aging cats, there is no other health related matter. I'm guessing senility. Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I've tried picking up Stormy and cuddling as much as possible...the crying will stop for me... but not for the actual owner... he's tried it too...it doesn't work anymore. There must be something one can do to discourage this behavior.....?? Can anyone help??
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Have you looked at Feliway? Noy sure if you can get it locally, maybe only from a vet, but I know a # of people who have had great success with it!

http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Never heard of it...? I'll check it out....? It is sold in Canada...apparently.
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

You can get Feliway at PetSmart, usually much cheaper than the vet.

Could also be that the cat is becoming a bit senile. There is such a thing as kitty Alzheimer's (or Feline Cognitive Dysfunction Disorder).

Quote:
Veterinarian Nicholas Dodman, author of "If Only They Could Speak" has observed that some cats age gracefully, while others show less interest in social interactions, become disoriented and sleep more, however having disrupted sleep patterns. Aging cats may forget their owners and cry out in the night or persistent vocalization. Also, fail to keeping themselves well groomed and unfortunately engage in house soiling or loss of housetraining, attributed to symptoms Feline Cognitive Dysfunction.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM

Did they check the Thyroid Hormone T4 in the blood test? Hyperthyroidism will cause loud excessive vocalization in older cats esp @ night but during the day too. I know you mentioned they check for the normal aging problems but it seems some vets are not persistant enough with Thyroid cases.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Quote: Veterinarian Nicholas Dodman, author of "If Only They Could Speak" has observed that some cats age gracefully, while others show less interest in social interactions, become disoriented and sleep more, however having disrupted sleep patterns. Aging cats may forget their owners and cry out in the night or persistent vocalization. Also, fail to keeping themselves well groomed and unfortunately engage in house soiling or loss of housetraining, attributed to symptoms Feline Cognitive Dysfunction.

Oy!:eek:
Old February 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Did they check the Thyroid Hormone T4 in the blood test? Hyperthyroidism will cause loud excessive vocalization in older cats esp @ night but during the day too. I know you mentioned they check for the normal aging problems but it seems some vets are not persistant enough with Thyroid cases.
I'll ask to see if they checked his T4... thanx everyone. I must add, that Storm was feeling much better today.... I managed to get a few pictures... this is Storm
Attached Images

Old February 16th, 2008, 10:42 PM

awwwww Storm is Gorgeous

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If not crying from any change in the home or organic sickness /change of food or anything it may well be crying from confusion or dementia.
Very adorable kitty!
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
-

Storm is gorgeous. I also think it is likely senility plus the fact that siamese are vocal to begin with.
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM

This is such a great website.... I feel I'm never alone regarding the care of my boys or my friends. Thanx so much everyone. Storm's human was feeling better yesterday too...especially since I gave him the few pictures I was allowed to take. Yesterday the sun was shining in on my south window and that seemed to have relaxed Storm (who was visiting at the time) ... everyone one seemed to be feeling better... the sun holds so much goodness...and we've all been deprived this February...especially here in T.O.