Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Pete

Mooshies first day at home

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this, so please let me know.

Mooshie, came home last night, after a successfully potty outside (he's not a big fan of the cold) he was welcome to discover his new home. Right now he is being restricted to the kitchen and his xpen & den. So we had a chance to play & bond, he discovered his food & kitchen bed and toys. Before bed time he pottied outside (Wow that was good) and then it was into his den for a nights rest 11.30 p.m.LOL; he wailed, cried, made awful sounds for about an hour then settled down. He actually slept through till 6:00 a.m., my alarm clock didn't even fiz him; so I made my pot of coffee, woke up my wife for work and then put Mooshie out for potty and he did pee (potty party), I brought him in, at first chance he managed to poo before I caught him (1st day I missed the signs), so we played a little, he snoozed in his kitchen bed then it was outside for an unsucessful potty time (still cold out there). So we came in played a little, some grooming and a small piddle on the floor (Got to get to know his schedule). So I had some work to do, so he is currently having some quality den time; takes a while to settle, and the phone gets him going again but we do have some quite time till potty break and lunch.

I guess it will take a while for us to learn each others schedules and expectations. Hope Im doing it right.
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

hey , good to see you have your baby home safe and sound, potty training seems to be coming along great!! while cuddling during tv time, play with Mooshies toes and ears.....that way when little hands reach out Mooshies won't be startled. I had to do with with my pups because of my daycare children. One hour of fussing wasn't too bad!! congrats on the new addition.
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

You are, but remember that Dachshunds are very hard to train - and also they have small bladders and they sure do hate the cold. We are freezing in Toronto and I know Ottawa isn't any better.

I hope all goes well with your puppy and that he develops the temperament best suited to you and your wife - which for me would be super Alpha, but that is not for everyone.

If you haven't done so already, I would definitely look into pet insurance for your pup's back, just in case. I am not sure if VetInsurance still covers Dachshund disc disease (it is the 90% coverage you would be interested in) - as opposed to the other companies which usually offer lifetime maximum coverage of about $2,000, less about 3 deductibles (much like kids' braces) - should this be the case, a savings account would be the way to go. Problem with savings accounts is that you don't know when the problem will hit - at age 1 1/2 or 6. If your breeder has told you that none of his/her dogs has never experienced Dachshund disc disease, well, then he/she could also sell the Brooklyn Bridge! And remember - just because food is on the counter, don't think for one minute your pup can't get to it. I will be interested in knowing when he moves into your bed - favourite position being between your knees - in horizontol position.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like he's settling in well for a little tyke! You got more sleep than we ever did when there was a new pup in the house!

We will, of course, demand pictures of the little darling so start snapping!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Pete

Day 2 with Mooshie

Here are a couple of pics of Mooshie, his first day at home.

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/th_DSC02349-
Quite adorable, but last night put us through hell. I think he spent to much time in our arms and not enough time in his Xpen and den; man did he cry and wail last night. Guess the first night he'd play good puppy. Today, I will regularly let him out for potty time & play but he will spend more time in his Xpen & den, he has to get used to it and hopefully tonight will be more peaceful. I think we feel for those Daxie willies, he's just so cute how can you not pick him up. It's a learning experience for both of us but he will learnt to play by my rules, well maybe some exceptions. Right now he's had breakfast and potty break and seems to be quiet in his den.

Last edited by pwrca; February 7th, 2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: photo insertion
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Pete

Still not very talented in inserting pictures, for some reason I was only able to insert one.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Pete

SnowDancer, yes it is cold here in Ottawa also; a bit milder today. Mooshie seems to have caught on that if he pees quickly the reward in back indoors and play time. So far he has successfully peed out side most times; only a couple of minor dripples indoors. He has yet to do potty2 outdoors; he had his first #2 yesturday just after coming in from a successful potty pee outside; then during the night 2:45 a.m. he was brought outdoors to his spot and he did pee. Then he went back to his den; about 45 mins later he was frantic, he had a #2 in his den. So I was up again, ensured both him and his den were clean and returned him to bed. His morning started at 7:00 a.m. and so far no accidents in the house; outdoor potties are quick and we have a little partytime. I'm just not to familliar with his #2 needs, frequency & timing; any hints for me on the #2? Im sure we'll get it also.

Thanks
Pete
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He looks so little in the dog bed! What a cutie!

As for figuring out his schedule...it'll take a while. When he goes, try to remember how he was acting right before he went. Eventually, you'll pick up all his signals. You might have to change his feeding schedule slightly to get him to hold his poops all night--but plan on getting up at least once a night for a while for potty until his little bladder matures enough for him to get all the way through the night. Once he gets accustomed to his den and settles faster, that will help. Caterwauling tends to stimulate the bladder.

Where is his den? Any possibility of moving it closer to or actually into your bedroom?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:24 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

He sure is a cutie

I, by good luck rather than good management, have only adopted dogs that are already housetrained However, I can tell you that Hobo (my little guy) will NOT poop if his butt is not clear from "obstruction" Wherever it is that you want Mooshie to go outside make sure it is shoveled down as much as possible. I would imagine there is not much space between Mooshie's butt and the ground so, if you have snow, make sure it is shoveled flat and packed. Might help

I agree with the others that if there is any way Mooshie can sleep in your room at night it might get rid of some of the "drama"

Good luck!!!!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

diandpat is right about having a clear place for #2 - my American Eskimo is the same - heaven forbid that his delicates be exposed at the same time he is dive bombing head first into the snow scarfing down his 22 lbs. in bodyweight of snow at same time. I found with my Dachshunds that, like people, they sometimes had to do their main business at different times of the day - so much depended on time of year, what they could scarf on the street, etc. And if they felt like going outside. This was one of the hardest things. Of course, being so short, it was tough and you may find you will have better luck if the weather ever warms up. I like the picture of him peeking out from beneath the covering on his bed - they do love to burrow under things, so don't panic if he disappears and you know the door wasn't left open. I still give it a week before he is in your bed. Next step will be moving his bed to your room in an effort to stop the night crying. Next step will be you will be in a sound sleep and all of a sudden you will feel little paws shaking the mattress - at which point you will tell him to go back to his bed -which he will for 10 minutes. Eventually you will relent - probably at about 4:00 a.m. Once in your bed though and comfortable - and please note his comfort is of prime importance - he will most likely sleep until you get up or he has to go out. They love their beds. Not sure how big your pup is, but at 10 - 12 lbs. my guys could swing themselves up, no problem. My SIL said yesterday that Ottawa is still pretty darned cold, as is Toronto. I hope it warms up by May 1 as we are travelling to Ottawa for a wedding. Good thing Obama is coming on Feb. 19 otherwise the Ottawa Transit Strike would still be on. I went to Ottawa at Christmas - hadn't been in 20 years - and I picked that time to go. Not good. My husband told me there is a town called Russell near Ottawa, I was thinking Russell Hill neighbourhood. I know that everyone is going to want to pet your pup once he can get about more after his shots, but please pay attention as his temperament develops until you know whether he is a protective Dobe in disguise (and Dachshunds get along very well with Dobes) or more mild-mannered. Dachshunds tend to be very protective of their Moms and Dads (particularly Moms in the case of boy dogs - note - don't yell at your wife!) and they do not feel that they are small. Also, a Dachshund will try to take on every Rotti he/she sees.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Pete

[QUOTE=diandpat;744482]He sure is a cutie

Wherever it is that you want Mooshie to go outside make sure it is shoveled down as much as possible.

I have been faithfully keeping the Deck & Patio clear, so Mooshie doesn't have to deal with the snow. I've been putting Puppy pads down on the Patio, for him to do his business, which seems to be working (still do to get that #2 out there).

[QUOTE=diandpat;744482]I still give it a week before he is in your bed. /[QUOTE]

My wife, to this point is determined that Mooshie will sleep in his bed ''HE'S A DOG''; I reminder her that the cat slept in our bed for twelve years. I'm sure she will breakdown eventually. I'm also looking forward to spring, or at least warmer weather. I'm sure it will make the outdoor time more enjoyable for Mooshie, it won't only be potty business but play time also. Dispite a sleep disturbed night, I haven't lost patience and I know we'll get it right with time. I'll keep posting on progress.

Pete
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Pete, I fully expect your wife will be the first to decide that puppy needs to be in your bed! Remember this as you are hanging from the very edge of the bed so as not to disturb him. I found that it helps with puppy pads if you put a piece of newspaper over them - my friend who also had Dachshunds found this to help - as it did when our Eskimo was a puppy. Dachshunds are people too, just ask them! My 2 special Dachshunds - the 2 of course who had the disc disease were super smart - with military cunning. Vets said no matter how smart any future dogs might be they would pale in comparison. Our Eskimo is brilliant, but fortunately, vets were right - we are that one step ahead - no military cunning.