Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Owned by goldens

Distemper

My daughter adopted a beautiful 1 1/2 year old Golden from the SPCA. He had been found abandonded in a gas station bathroom. Before she was allowed to take him home he had to be neutered so he ended up spending two extra days there. He is very thin and a few days after ariving in his new home he developed kennel cough. The SPCA said to expect it so we weren't surprised. She did bring him to the vet about a week after adopting him to make sure everything was okay with the KC and the vet told her if it worsened to bring him back but he didn't have a fever. It has not worsened however he still has an occasional discharge from his nose. He is eating normally but my daughter says she thinks he is quiet. She was a bit panicky tonight and asked me to come over. I did and he seemed fine to me. He was happy to fetch the ball and wrestle. He is eating well. My daughter said that he the discharge from his nose is sometimes yellowish. The discharge is not frequent.
On top of everything else this poor boy had he is being treated for an intestinal parasite and is on a 10 day round of meds. His stools are loosely formed but he doesn't have diarrhea. The vet said the loose stools could be from the medication.
My question is could this still be kennel cough? It has been almost three weeks since she brought him home. He is no longer coughing and when he did it was mild. The only symptoms seems to be the nasal discharge.
While he was at teh SPCA he was vaccinated for distemper.
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How far into the meds for the parasite is he? What is he being treated with?

Symptoms from KC can linger for a while. Three weeks is getting out there, though. Is the discharge from both nostrils?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I stand corrected--I just talked to hubby about our various cases of KC and he reminded me that in a couple of the dogs, the symptoms hung on for 5 - 6 weeks...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm a softy

Symptoms can linger, but i think a vet visit is called for, there could be a bacterial infection or something, if the discharge is not clear i would have a thourough check, good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old September 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Owned by goldens

I have only seen the discharge once and it was clear. Most of the time it is and only occasionally is it yellow. The dog has been to the vet but didn't have a fever so he didn't give him anything. He hasn't coughed in a while, it is just the occasional discharge.
I don't know what parasite he is being treated for as my daughter can't remember what it was. My daughter questioned the vet about his loose stools and he told her it was probably because of the medication. The stools seem to be more formed in the last few days.
He spent last weekend with me and only once did I have to clean his nose and what I wiped was clear. Despite the occasionally runny nose he is eating well, playing and being a typical goofy golden.

Thank you for the information.
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM

Just a thought, but Goldens are prone to allergies. Fira's are acting up right now. Maybe ask the vet if she could give him some Benedryl and see if that helps.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Owned by goldens

Distemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsmom View Post
Just a thought, but Goldens are prone to allergies. Fira's are acting up right now. Maybe ask the vet if she could give him some Benedryl and see if that helps.
I thought of that also. My daughter says he is still the same, eating well etc...