Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Exclamation Male Guinea Pig Ill!! Have tried many things, need new ideas.

I have a 2-3 year old male neutered guinea pig named Harvey. He has a mass on the right side of his scrotal/genital area. It's fairly firm but doesn't seem to hurt him if I press on it. He saw the vet and she said it could be an abcess or a tumor. We put him on a combo anti-biotic treatment (0.3 ml Novo-Trimmel Suspension twice a day orally and 0.3 ml Longisil injected SQ every 3 days) for 16 days hoping it was an abcess. There was no change after the 16 days so we are assuming that it's a tumor. Today i noticed bloody urine in his pen and he also smells like rotten pus. He weighs 930 g today, a month ago he weighed appro. 1100 g.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

History-
june 2004- harvey was neutered and developed a severe abcess that had to be drained several time, he lived at the vets for 3 weeks b/c he was so anorexic (his weight dropped to 650 g)

December 2004- Noticed enlarged lymph nodes on harvey and his cage mate miranda, assumed to be a Type C retrovirus (contaigous) Lymphoma. Both were put on Chloropalm for 2 weeks with no change and then put on the Longisil injections for 2 1/2 months. we stopped the treatment b/c the nodes stopped growing

August 2005- noticed lump on gential area, can no longer sex hime (penis won't come out), began combo antibiotic therapy (see above)

Sept. 11/2005- noticed blood in cage and smell of rotten pus on his body (same sent as when his abcess rutured last june)

Thanks, Ashley
Old September 11th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

You really need to have the lump biopsied. If it's cancer, then it may be time to end this suffering.

I'm sorry. I had a guinea pig named William. He lived for 8 years and I was very attached to him.
Old September 11th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Because of the stress that the neuter caused his body (a sever infection and 2 months of being hand fed Crital Care from Oxbow several times a day) I'm trying to do this without doing a biopsy. Also my vet feels that is he's going to be put under anesthesia for a biopsy then the lymp may as well be removed. I don't like that idea b/c it seems very invasive and chance of infection is very high, also he is losing weight.
Old September 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Why didn't the vet try aspirating the lump before trying meds? You seem very confidant that it's just like the last time(abcess).I would have the vet try aspirating the lump,probably needing to insert a shunt so you can drain it a couple of times a day with a solution.I would also resume hand feeding if your piggie is losing weight.good luck. Try searching on http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/index.php They have fantastic information from several vet techs and rescue people who have seen it all and then some.