Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM

sick daschund

my puppy is 6 months old or so... my mother took him out for a walk while i was at work and said everything was fine jus untill he got home thats when he was acting strange he started throwin up and had a little shake goin on ..anyway took him to the vet asap he had an IV 2 injection but 2 days later hes not lookin to much butter although hes not shakin as much hes still throwin up what seems like saliva and water and he hasnt eatn all day all the vet thought maybe parvo or dehdration i mnea i really dont know i jus want him to feel better and be energentic like he once was...do u think maybe he jus needs time to recover if so how long?
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
-

I would take him back asap to the vet , puppies dehydrate very quickly and that is not good at all.

Last edited by Frenchy; June 30th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree with Frenchy--another vet visit is in order. It almost sounds like an intestinal blockage. Does he have a fever? Has he been peeing and pooping?

Dehydration can be very dangerous, especially in small young dogs. Until you can get him back to the vet make sure he gets plenty of water.

for a quick recovery for your dachshund!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM
-

I also agree.....please take him back to the vet and post with an update. Good luck.
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM

i took him to the vet yesterday morning as soon as they opened and he immeditaly did everything the first vet didnt he took xrays blood tests and from the xrays he said he mite have some blocking because he saw air pockets in some places he should be on IV rite now he called me up this monring to tell me how he was doing and hes improving somewhat but he recommended i leave him until tomorrow i have to call back later to find out more info he called i was half asleep...thank you all for the info you've been extremely helpful this site is great...hopefully hell be ok i love my lil puppy .....does anyone think he can really recover from this regardless of how much medical attention hes getting im really worried him..this has been going on since this past tuesday
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It sounds like he's in good hands now, blazedpr8! What did the vet say about his prognosis?

Dogs can and do recover fully from intestinal blockages--sometimes they require surgery, but sometimes dogs pass whatever is blocking the intestine on their own. The body has a tremendous ability to heal itself.

At this point, you've done what you can. Stay positive!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:43 PM
-

Glad you took him back to the vet. Did the vet say if her performed surgery? If he did perform surgery most dogs recover fine.

If the vet did not perform surgery to remove the obstruction then he feels it was small enough for your dog to pass it out in his poop.
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:35 PM

i got him back today as soon as i got out of work he was so happy to see he couldnt stop crying lol happy cry of course but right now he just seems so exausted and tired he jus wants to sleep....this is to be expected rite i mean he was there for 2 days and he had the IV so maybe im being paranoid (i hope)...rie now im jus lettin him rest and hopefully hell have some energy when he wakes up....oh and he actaully ate jus a little bit tho like 3 bites or so and he did number 2 ...he didnt do any of that since he got sick hopefully thats a good sign
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM

the doctor also couldnt figure out what was wrong exactly but he was exremtly dehydrated for sure he says but other than that he couldnt see anything wrong he also said if he begins throwing up again hell have to take sonograms i belive he said and/or do exploratory surgery ....im payin more for the medical things than i did to actaully buy him lol but i dont care one bit im going to make sure he gets better
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedpr8 View Post
right now he just seems so exausted and tired he jus wants to sleep....this is to be expected rite
Yes it is , my guys always sleep more when they come back from a stay at the vet , I'm glad your puppy is doing better I'm hoping it was nothing and you won't have to take him back , we know how expensive these things are.

keep us posted ok ?
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazedpr8 View Post
the doctor also couldnt figure out what was wrong exactly but he was exremtly dehydrated for sure he says but other than that he couldnt see anything wrong he also said if he begins throwing up again hell have to take sonograms i belive he said and/or do exploratory surgery ....im payin more for the medical things than i did to actaully buy him lol but i dont care one bit im going to make sure he gets better
So your vet hasn't performed any surgery yet to remove an obstruction. Did he say if your pup pooped anything out? If he hasn't yet then you should check all his poops closely for anything undigestible.

Good luck.....I hope he recovers quickly.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The fact that he did poop is a very good sign, though! A dog with a blockage can't move stool through the intestine!

that he doesn't need surgery!

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM

hes finally eatin some food but its boiled chicken and tomrrow im going to throw in some rice i read somewhere that its good for the dog and its the only thing hes really just devouring it unlike the other foods i tried ...should i just give it to him till he gets his fill or should i feed him some other way? i dont want him throwing this up to ......he seems to have lots more energy now so i assume hes getting better but he just seems so tired overall does anyone know how long hell be like this?
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Keep the portions small but fairly frequent. You don't want to overtax his intestine at this point. If you're unsure of how much, call the vet's office and see what they recommend. Our dogs get tired of rice pretty quickly, but pasta (like elbow macaroni) works like a charm, too.

Is he still pooping and peeing? When does he see the vet next?

If he's getting some energy back and there's overall improvement then you're on the right track.

Old July 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
-

And don't forget to overcook your rice , or pasta if you want to try that. Small portions.

I'm glad he's doing better