Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 30th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Taking a dog on a trip

My hubby and I are thinking about a trip to Newfoundland. No date or details as of yet but I am already stressing over what would be the best thing for our dog. The thought of NOT taking him with us breaks my heart. (He is 2 years old, 100 lb)

Has anyone taken their dog on a long trip with them? We don't know if we would fly or drive. I am very nervous about taking him on a plane But he is a large dog and that's an awfully long car trip (of course we would stop to run and stretch, but still...) I think its about 24 hours drive if you don't stop.

Hubby has lots of family down there and they have already said he would be welcome.

Or would it be in HIS best interest to keep him at home? We are thinking of going for 2 weeks. I don't think I could bear to be away from him for that long. I don't know what to do. But whatever we decide will be what is in his best interest.

(Sorry, one more question: I have heard that dogs have no sense of how much time passes. I have a hard time believing this. Any opinions?)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it would depend on the dog. My parents dog couldn't go anywhere in the car. They would have to give him Gravol to calm his stomach. Daisy, on the other hand, will go anywhere. Cheryl has driven with her to Thunder Bay several times, and she's fine. She usually watches out the window until they get on the highway, then she lies down and sleeps. But she just loves the car, for the most part.

As for dogs having the concept of time...the way Daisy greets me when I come home from work, run down to get the mail and then come in again, I'm going to agree there. I have to remind her she just gave me a tongue bath 5 mins ago!
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Go by land and enjoy the scenery. Your Rotti would stress more being without the family..and the family would stress because of all the worry...

Who will have any fun?

Dogs travel all the time...I live and work in an RV resort in Florida...trust me..dogs travel well. So do cats and we even a pig snowbird.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband and I used to sometimes take our big dog on trips with us. He loved it,and was well behaved. We had no trouble finding motels who would allow him.

If you're driving and your dog is good in the car - bon voyage!!

Your dog will be happy wherever you are.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:46 PM

LOL Schwinn funny mental image. But don't you think a dog would notice if "Mommy and Daddy" were gone for 2 weeks? And get depressed? And not eat? LOL I am well aware that I am a PARANOID FREAK when it comes to my baby!!!
BTW: Is there a max. weight for a dog on a plane? And how secure are the kennels? Herc chewed his way out of his kennel at the vet when he got neutered and was under sedation! He ate all the food and terrorized the poor kitties that night! (sorry off topic)

He is good in the car. Has grown out of his puppy car sickness. Any other thoughts on whether to take him or not?
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Just read Karin and LR. Thank you thank you. Thats what I want to hear I really can't imagine leaving him behind
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM

We just took our dog on a long car trip, because we couldn't bear the thought of leaving him. We both have small cars, so we rented a minivan (with the removable back seats), put his crate back there, a bed and a water dish. He had a blast, he wandered around, slept in his crate, and played in his "bed". It was sooo cute he would sit on the "bed" (donut style) and look out the windows, play with his "mousey". He really had a blast. We stopped fairly frequently at the big rest stops and let him (on a long lead) run around, play with a tennis ball etc... It took a little longer to get there, but for us it was well worth it!!
(PS- we "negotiated" with numerous car rental places, until we got them to agree to unlimited km's... hehe )
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
owned by Tucker

If he travels well I'd say take him. We left my last dog at home when we went down east one year, I had a friend stay at my home with him and he refused to eat for the whole week we were there. He would only eat treats or human food that she gave him. He lost a few pounds and sulked the whole time we were gone. He didn't travel that well and my in-laws already had 3 male and one female dogs there so I didn't want to add one more.
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

We like to take Daisy when we can, but we've gone away a few times and not been able to take her. We did go away once for two weeks, and were both missing her pretty bad. But we left her at the vet (who also used to do our doggy day care), and they love her, and she loves them. That made it easier. We're now about an hour and a half away, but we still take her there because she loves it there. When we pull in thier driveway, her tail starts wagging and she starts whining.

But I digress. I agree, if you can take him, do it. If he's fine in the car, so much the better. That will be less stress for you, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip more. But if you do have to leave him, find a kennel you really trust, and he seems to like. You could have a "trial" run. See if they'll take him for doggy daycare a few times. That should give you an idea of how he'll be.
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottimom
LOL Schwinn funny mental image. But don't you think a dog would notice if "Mommy and Daddy" were gone for 2 weeks? And get depressed? And not eat? LOL I am well aware that I am a PARANOID FREAK when it comes to my baby!!!
BTW: Is there a max. weight for a dog on a plane? And how secure are the kennels? Herc chewed his way out of his kennel at the vet when he got neutered and was under sedation! He ate all the food and terrorized the poor kitties that night! (sorry off topic)

He is good in the car. Has grown out of his puppy car sickness. Any other thoughts on whether to take him or not?
He would be caged in the baggage hold of the aircraft. In your kennel, that you supply. The compartment is pressurized at the same rate of the passenger cabin.
You will need a "letter of acclamation" along with current vax records from your vet.
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that you should take him if he travels well. Go car, it is usually cheaper, plus you get to do a little sight seeing. I am planning on visiting family for only 4 or 5 days next summer, and I can't stand the thought of leaving Cano at home. Sure he would stay at my friend Jennifer's house, where there are 2 of his fur-buddies, but still..... He has never been away from me for more than 8 hours!

I too would like to know if there is a weight limit on pets. I wouldn't have a vehicle nor the money to rent one, to go back home with.

Has anyone had a pet put on a plane before?? Did they do alright??
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Thank you so much everyone. I would definitely be miserable and a nervous wreck if I left him home. I have never travelled with a pet so I wasn't sure if it would be too stressful for him. It's reassuring to hear that dogs can have a fun time on a long trip! And it's true, I know he will be happier where we are. As will I.

You guys rock!!
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM

My two cents' worth...

It depends also on what you plan on doing while you're there. If all you'll be doing is visiting with family where he'll be welcome, then go ahead and bring him. BUT, if you're planning on seeing the sites, visiting some museums, or going other places where dogs aren't allowed, then maybe you should rethink (unless the family would babysit while you went out).

We drove from Montreal to Calgary a few years ago. We knew we'd be doing the whole tourist/sight seeing thing, and Murphy wouldn't be allowed to come. We left her with my brother, his gf and their new Lab puppy. She didn't have a problem eating and enjoyed herself thoroughly (we called nightly for updates). The good thing is that my brother and his gf decided that their pup looked lonely after Murphy left, so the adopted a friend for him from the SPCA!
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:16 PM

I also agree that you should take him if you're planning on being around most of the time. The dogs I've watched tend to be VERY lonley for the first few days and miss their mummy's and daddy's. I just had a dog here for a test visit, and she was so sad missing her mum. She even made herself sick! She's going to be here for a few days over x-mas and her owner's are gonna worry about her, but now that she has been here for a night, and her mum came back for her, she'll hopefully settle in a bit better. Most of the dogs I've watched, with the exception of one golden retriever, didn't eat for at least the first day or two, and then only ate a little bit until they went home. The retriever on the other hand, gobbled up her food and didn't seem to care that her parents weren't around! It all just depends on the dog. If you know he'll be good on the road, and with the family, then I say go for it!
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
I agree that you should take him if he travels well. Go car, it is usually cheaper, plus you get to do a little sight seeing. I am planning on visiting family for only 4 or 5 days next summer, and I can't stand the thought of leaving Cano at home. Sure he would stay at my friend Jennifer's house, where there are 2 of his fur-buddies, but still..... He has never been away from me for more than 8 hours!

I too would like to know if there is a weight limit on pets. I wouldn't have a vehicle nor the money to rent one, to go back home with.

Has anyone had a pet put on a plane before?? Did they do alright??
I had a cat that traveled to Germany & back with me in the sixties. My father worked for Pan Am ..He flew from MIA at first while we lived in the Keys and later transferred to NY.

Mittens was a world traveler and loved it!

I fly too and have been in & out of aviation for many years. Animals do travel well if given a chance.
You have to put yourself in their paws..sounds, smells, etc...and of course, their emotions.
Air travel can be very tough on them. Trains can be too.
Cars are not so bad. Being left alone can be bad. Seperation depression is ugly for our fourlegged family members.
If I was a dog or cat family member..I would rather be a little carsick with my family to console me than be heartsick or scared and heartsick all alone.

Times have changed since Mittens flew..she had the run. This does not happen anymore.

Take the ground route. I have seen everything from up there, it all looks the same. I want to see what's down here for a change. Your dog will too and you all will enjoy it more.

*Note: Never travel without all vet records.
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
owned by Tucker

I don't think there are any weight restrictions on planes, I was on a flight to England about three years ago and there was a horse in the back compartment. A trainer was seated with us and everytime they opened the back doors to check on him he seemed quite happy. My kids thought it was great. I also know that they ship all kinds of animals. You can rent crates at the airport.
Old December 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor

If you decide to fly please be very careful. Make sure that you tell the flight attendant that you want to know when the dog has been loaded on the plane. And you don't want someone's word for it, you want part of the luggage tag. Also, dogs are luggage and unless there is someone on the ground crew that cares, your dog may well be treated as luggage.

I have flown all over the world with my pets and while most of my experiences were positive, I can not tell you how scary it is to get to your location (or a layover) and find that they can not find your pet.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:05 PM

My parents take make a trip to Texas every November and then back to Nova Scotia in April...and their dog loves the drive. She isn't really fond of rough roads but she toughs it out.

They got her used to the idea of spending time in the car by taking her on long drives before they started their retirement.

Cookie sleeps/lays down most of the way, except when Dad puts the brakes on or signals to turn then she pops up like a jack in the box to see where they are.

They stops a couple times a day so everyone can strech their legs and make sure Cookie gets a good walk at night when they've stopped for the night. They only drive for about 8 hours a day..but that's because that's all they want to drive, not because Cookie can't handle longer drives, on the odd times they have driven longer she's had no probelms.

Just think of all the new people and adventures she can have if Newfoundland!
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

As for time-frame, my wife drives straight through to Thunder Bay, about 15 hours. Daisy doesn't mind the drive at all, as long as she stops once or twice for a little exercise.
Old December 1st, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

my girl charlie loves a road trip and she thinks the car is just one big moving kennel, when we get to our destination she will sleep in the car in our families backyard ro similar (not on the streets) and she really likes it and has never had a problem, although once i was driving alone and got lost, i was late for a very important appointment and drove really really fast up a mountain, sadly she got car sick (totally my fault) so now i just make sure i give her a light breakfast before we go and the rest when we get there.

but i do leave her at times to i dont like it but i do, like our honey moon (hubby would not let me take her) so she stays with my mum and her pup, charlie likes it there as well, given she would prefer to be with me, but like this coming week it is not possible so she will stay there, it jsut depends on what i am doing. and here in aus there are some great books siuch as holidays with dogs that list all the dog friendly hotels, motels and caravan and camping areas and doggy day care centres everywhere., there are so many we cna take her anywhere. we took her on a lovely camping trip a few yrs ago. can you find similar books onver there.

so essentially it depends on what you will be doing, if you will be away doing holiday stuff with family on the holiday it may be best to leave him but if you will justbe hanging out with the family take him.

i am not taking my girl with me nest week as there are alot of paralisis ticks in the area i am going and she is not allowed on my uni campus so she would have to be tied up at a friends place where they have lots of snakes so it is just best i leave her, and she will be a bit miffed but will be fine.

so it just all depends, but have fun if you do take him, its always a bit m,ore special.
Old December 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Relieve the stress for everyone and take your baby with you. He will be much happier and my choice is to drive with him. I am not a huge fan of flying them if you don't have to.Especially the large breeds. I have heard good and bad about airlines but you will have fun driving with him. Go and have fun and post pics when you get back. Buddy gets depressed if he has to stay at the vets overnight I cannot imagine how depressed he would get if I was gone for 2 weeks.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:13 PM

Sounds like driving will be the best way to go. I know I would be terrified if he were on a plane, as would he. We plan to hang with family (who I've never met yet ) I'm sure Herc will have a blast! Will also look into renting a van.
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:33 PM
owned by Tucker

Tucker loves the truck. He wants to go everywhere with you. He travels better than my kids at least he can't say are we there yet!
Old December 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM

When we went on our trip this past year, we also looked up and called local vets to find a very reputable doggie day care. This worked out great, Sheriff got to have "playdates" at the day care, and mommy and daddy got to have some alone time/sightseeing time. It worked out great!!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM

Road trip dog

My Rottie is 120 lbs and if she had her druthers we would all stay home. I happen to like road trips and she comes with me. She lets me know that she would rather be at home but she is great on the road. She understands hotels and is very patient when I have to get my shoes on to walk down 3 flights of stairs so she can go outdoors at night. I feel much more secure with her in the car with me. 3 years ago, when I turned 50, she and I took a month off from our lives and hit the road. We worked our way from Washington State down the California coast and then to Nebraska and Yellowstone and home. She needs to be with me at all times and she trusts me totally. I never leave her alone and I spoil her rotten on the road. You will enjoy going.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Friends of ours moved from Pincher Creek Alberta to Cape Breton,Nova Scotia and they drove all the way,together with their Doberman.....
I think the dog loved it,could not say the same for our friends it's a very looong drive!
I don't know where you are starting off from,but hubby and I drove to Nova Scotia from Oakville Ontario and it was a beautiful drive,so take the dog and enjoy your drive
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

travel

I did not notice if someone else suggested this, but take poochie for a test drive. See what he is like for 4 or 5 hours in the car.

travelpets.ca and some other websites can give you lists of motels where your four footed traveling companion will be welcome along the way.

Take poochie's health records with you and pack a small "first aid kit" with things like Immodium, gravol and non-flavoured Pediasure. These should help you if your fellow has any adverse affects from travelling, etc. Is your dog food easily available at your destination ? At least that will save packing 2 weeks worth of kibble.

All my dogs have gone everywhere with me, road trips throughout Ontario and Quebec. Only once did I have a campground refuse us entry because of the dog (and my golden looked down her nose at the fellow as if to say "I wouldn't stay here with YOU ! either. Kitty could be a snob sometimes )

Happy tails, er I mean trails lol
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

misprint

sorry, Pedialite not Pediasure

Helps against dehydration if the dog gets diahrea, etc

Most dogs prefer the non-flavoured variety. I usually add it to their water.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile

I was not going to post on this topic - so much has already been said that I agree with. It may depend on the dog but it is an enviornmental thing really - if the dog has travelled since he is a puppy, he can probably go practically anywhere. And even the most seasoned canine traveller can sometimes become ill on a trip!

When I was growing up, my family always took our dog on road trips with us. (not plane trips though but I am talking about the 60's and 70's). She loved it and was a great traveller! My rabbbit - who some of you may recall lived to be 13, was also a good traveller - motoring from the Maritimes to Florida to Washington state!! (He even kept a log, lol - A Bunny Digs Seattle! , OK so he had some help from his admin assistant )

(I almost typed well seasoned there but some non vegan type and I am not a vegetarian but I'd be ill if I ever ate rabbit, ughhhhhhhhhh!!!) might take that the wrong way.

It is easy now to travel with pets and I see them everywhere. Holiday Inn is great and I use them quite often. That web site mentioned probably lists pet friendly places - baby boomers and the following generations have so many furbabies that the market has to pay attention to us, lol
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Senior Contributor

We went to Japan for a month and paid my sister-in-law to housesit and take care of Den-Den3 and Puss-Puss. She's single and has housesat for a number of people. It worked out really well. They knew her and they were able to maintain their normal routine. We brought back lots of goodies from Japan for her too.