Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Smile Hello, New Here!!

Hi Everyone!

My name is Elizabeth, and I have come here in hopes to learn more about Hybrid Cats and breeding as well as share the knowledge that I already have.

I want to introduce myself because I have read some of the posts here and I know a lot of people have opinions (myself included) about breeding cats, especially because of the living conditions cats must endure in order to be kept as breeding animals.

I also hope to talk LOTS about small animal nutrition. I have taken several seminars from the regional manager at Boyer's Best Pet Distribution Company. Although I cannot name drop, he created the formula for Nutro back in the 1980's and has worked closely with other pet food companies to come up with recipes for non commercial dog and cat foods. He has taught me a lot about AAFCO terminology, commercial dog/cat food production, how to read and decipher labels, as well as how to formulate and create my own raw food diets for my pets. I want to share what I know and hopefully learn lots more about the new emerging trend of GOOD animal food. I also used to work for Blue Buffalo pet foods and can answer any questions you have about that line of food.

Please just know that my pets are PETS first and breeding animals second. Due to the economy and time constraints, I am not breeding nor will I breed for at least another year. My fascination with the Bengal breed and other hybrid cats is what leads me to my decision to try and breed them. I see incredible, amazing cats out there and it makes me want to create and improve upon the breed. My ultimate goal is to find a favorable mix between a Savannah and a Bengal that will have the size and temperament of Savannahs but with the wild rosetting of the Bengal. Of course, this dream is a few years away and may never happen due to the genetic differences, but I have seen a few of these cats and they are AMAZING!

So hopefully I can learn a lot while I am here and meet some great people in the process.
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceyf53 View Post
My name is Elizabeth,
Hi Elizabeth, welcome to pets.ca.

Quote:
and I have come here in hopes to learn more about Hybrid Cats and breeding
Can't help you there.

Quote:
I see incredible, amazing cats out there
Me too, so so many of them. They're everywhere! Like here, and here and here.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Hi Elizabeth, welcome to pets.ca.

Can't help you there.

Me too, so so many of them. They're everywhere! Like here, and here and here.
Thank You
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:36 AM

Hi,

Welcome!

Bengals and Savannah's are so beautiful!
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:23 AM
-

Quote:
to learn more about Hybrid Cats and breeding as well as share the knowledge that I already have.
Hi Elizabeth , I'm afraid this isn't the right place to learn about breeding as many of us here , rescue. Because there's so many unwanted cats and dogs in shelter getting put to sleep every day , we are very pro spay & neuter.
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Welcome, Lacey. You have come to the right place for info on cat nutrition, the importance of raw diet for cats .

However, as for breeding you won't get much help here. As others have stated, we are actively into rescue all those poor cats and dogs who don't currently have homes, including purebreds. Adding to the already overpopulated world of cats and dogs is not really "sanctioned" (for a lack of a better word) on this forum. Many give up their lives to help out the homeless animals.

Stick around, though, we may convince you that starting a Bengal Rescue would be a great hobby and more rewarding than adding more cats to this world .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hi Elizabeth , I'm afraid this isn't the right place to learn about breeding as many of us here , rescue. Because there's so many unwanted cats and dogs in shelter getting put to sleep every day , we are very pro spay & neuter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
However, as for breeding you won't get much help here. As others have stated, we are actively into rescue all those poor cats and dogs who don't currently have homes, including purebreds. Adding to the already overpopulated world of cats and dogs is not really "sanctioned" (for a lack of a better word) on this forum. Many give up their lives to help out the homeless animals.

Stick around, though, we may convince you that starting a Bengal Rescue would be a great hobby and more rewarding than adding more cats to this world .

Ahem sistas! With approx 8 to 10 million cats a year being killed because no one wants them the last thing we need is another designer breed.
We welcome your input as to all other things. I'm sure you and SCM and L4H can have many discussions on nutrition.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

hi, welcome to the forum, those are both gorgeous cats, do you have pics of yours?
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Elizabeth! I'd love to see some pics of your cats and dog. Do you have horses, too? If so, pics of them, too, please

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Welcome to pets. I would love to see pics of your pets.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
WOW - what an amazing suggestion since I lost one Bengal as I could not place. !. Great suggestion!

Welcome to the forum. There are many cat savvy people here that have an abundance of information on temperment, food, and of course lots of experience.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Welcome, Lacey.
Wonderfully said!!!!