Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Question Dogs & Pools ...

I have a question about dogs and pools ...

I moved in October into a house with a swimming pool. It's blocked off right now by a snow fence - to keep Jersey from jumping in but it will be opened up in the summer.

I am planning on letting her swim in it as she wants to and to teach her to use the stairs to get in and out. I just wondered about the chlorine in it. Is chlorine okay for her skin or is there something else we can use in it?

I haven't been able to find much info. about it and I wondered if anyone has any.

Thanks!
Leslie
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

bromine

For our hot tub we used Bromine as I am very allergic to chlorine and it aggravates my psoriasis. Perhaps this is an option. You can also check with your local pool supply place as I believe there are many more alternatives on the market now.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:13 PM
banned user

So dogs can't go in a pool with chlorine? We got a pool last year, before the pup... I didn't think about it till this thread... can he swim in it? It has chlorine.
I'd really like the answer too!
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:21 AM
<-----nut ball

I heard that chlorine really irritates a dogs skin. It dries it out and makes them really itchy.

I suggest you consider investing in a salt water exchange system. My mother just did this. Cost about $600 to change your pool pump but no chlorine anymore, as it turns into a saltwater pool. The initial investment can be high, but the upkeep is lower. And it's not salty like the ocean, just tastes like regular water.

From what I understand, it the water is cleaned in a "micro-processor" where the salt is converted to chlorine only in the micro-processor, and is disinfected there. The result is water that has about the same chloring content as drinking water.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM
banned user

Well that's definitely not in our budget!

We just got the pool last yr, new pump and everything so changing it now isn't an option for us... I guess we'll have to hose him down instead! Or make him use the baby pool! :love:
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM

My brother's dog (Lab) used to jump in their pool all the time. He never had any skin issues. My brother had issues with the lining he tore, though! No more pool for Jaco!! :sad:
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM
banned user

Crap! I never thought about the lining... they're not cheap!
I thought we'd let him try it once to see if it affects his skin and go from there but I'm not so sure now...
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My parents used to let the dogs in the pool all the time but we never had a liner in it but she had to rinse the dogs off really well after or they would itch. This is where I learned about fish oil for the dogs coats and skin. My dad would rather have had a pool full of dogs then the kids on our street.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Is there some set rule as to how much chlorine the pool must have? I would think you could lower the amount to a more acceptable level - couldn't you?

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:14 PM
banned user

Our pool (I don't know about all pools) needs a certain amount or we'll get mold It's very gross...
With our pool, it's not really an amount, you put a tab in and when it's gone you put another in... the sun sucks it up and when it's really hot and sunny we go through alot of chlorine. When we don't keep up with it, mold comes quick!
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:30 PM

My parents have a pool and their basset hound loves it. He plays lifeguard. He has his own raft and will jump from the porch to the pavement then into the pool and glide across it. He also puts his head under the water to get the balls from your hand. He will dive in if you pretend to drown, but will quickly realize he cannot save you and climb out. My sister even taught him to use the ladder, he taught himself to use the stairs. My mom used chlorine and Sully has no issues, she just uses very little. We have a well lit backyard with no trees and barely anyone uses the pool so there is no need for tonnes of chlorine.
Here is Sully
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
banned user

Awwww, what a cutie!

I think we'll try it once and hose him off afterwards... see how he reacts to the chlorine and not slicing the liner...
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:25 PM

That's a cute Elvis jacket!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM

LOL he was Elvis for halloween because he is a HOUND DOG hahaha mom was tempted to get him blue booties lol

Sully is pretty good with the liner. He rarely goes in without us in there. Oz went in once and went for the liner but I was in there to stop him. If your dog is unfamiliar with the pool make sure someone is in there to guide them them the first few times. My neighbours have a yellow lab that swims laps with them in the pool, its hilarious. She was taught to stay away from the liner and get out when she is tired. Smart dog but boy is she a barker
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

You should teach your dog how to get out of the pool, regardless. This is advice from California where pools are common and many pets are drowned when they fall in accidentally when nobody's around. And they will fall in. I haven't heard of skin irritations being a problem, but it's a thought. Den-Den likes to swim. I rinse him off well . . . don't want him turning green! Don't know if that would happen, but a lot of blondes do. Course, he's natural . .
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:50 PM
banned user

He can't fall in our pool... it's above ground and the stairs are not on it when we're not out there!
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I have a friend with an inground pool. Her two goldens use the stairs (no ladder) and were taught not to try to climb out anywhere but the stairs. Liner is intact and no skin issues with the chlorine. Probably a good idea to rinse the dog with the hose after. Her dogs are in and out of the pool all day long. It would be a full time job to stand there and rinse everyone off everytime. Maybe at the end of the pool day??? Man, how can we talk about pools and summer while we are still up to our kishkas in snow and doggie boots ???
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope you never need to but....

chlorinated water is REALLY good for when/if they get sprayed by a skunk...(very alkaline!!) Hope you don't need that trick....

Once we were all in the backyard and I called Jake thinking he would come down the stairs of the deck...HE DIDN'T!! He tried to come across the pool cover(which was on the pool at the time )!!!! Just a word of advice because the poor little guy almost drowned as he got wrapped up in the cover trying to get out!!

I'd watch your liner, as said before and just rinse him well. Jake's hair was actually very nice and fluffy after his "bath" but every dog is different.
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

OK! Home again with my photo album!

This was Den-Den3 enjoying a swim with his ball!
Attached Images

Old February 18th, 2005, 02:32 PM
banned user

Quote:
chlorinated water is REALLY good for when/if they get sprayed by a skunk...(very alkaline!!) Hope you don't need that trick....
We chose chlorine over bromine because I think chlorine helps a lot of things! Like eczema (hubby gets in summer for some reason) it really clears it up and also poison ivy, bug bites... any kind of rash really.
Summer is really bad here with poison... and chlorinated water really helps!

Cute pic, Glass!!
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:31 PM

When we had our rott he swam all the time... the water never bothered him, although we did rinse him off pretty well when he was done. We never had liner issues either, the first time he got in he attempted but was quickly stopped. Just like with anything else you can teach them to not shred it!
Old February 19th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

A lady that lives a few miles from me has a pool just for dogs. She does aqua therapy. I'll try to get some info from her on how she treats the water.
She stays very busy.