Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM

2 yr old female pug pooping on beds

Hi, I have a just 2 year old female unspayed pug. For the last few months approx 3 she has started wetting and pooping on my bed and my children's beds. She lives with me and my 2 children, and my sister, we also hae a female 4yr old chihuahua. We did look after 2 male pomeranians for about 12 months and they went back home 6 months ago. I was wondering if it was because when the 2 poms went home she was trying to become the alpha and was showing ehr dominance by wetting on our beds, but it has been going on way to long now, I have kept the doors shut but they second I have left them open (which is hard with2 preschoolers) she sneaks in an goes. I have left her outside for much longer but she then seems to hold on and goes once she gets back in. It is becoming a major problem, to the point that even though it would be devastating I would have to think about re homing if it continues, any help would be much appreciated, thanks Anne
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:29 PM
-

Have you taken her to the vet yet ?
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried staying outside with her until she goes, then offering tons of praise (as you would do with a puppy that is being house-trained for the first time)? Maybe it's time to go back to square one (if there is no physical problem that is). Use an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell; even if you clean it thoroughly, she may still be able to detect an odor, dogs' noses are so much more sensitive than ours, and a detectable odour would be a trigger.
Could you put a simple hook and eye latch on the door, out of reach of your children?
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

2 yr old female

Does Bella get to go for a daily walk or run in the park, fields? Besides the benefit of exercise dogs eliminate on these excursions, so maybe she's telling you she's bored and trying to get your attention.