Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:52 PM

Question post-op Sheltie leaking poop

hello everyone!

I'm looking for some second opinions I guess. Benny is my 13 yr old sheltie and we just had him at the vet to get rid of some abcessed teeth and a small tumor around his anus (hepatoid/ perianal tumor).

at first we noticed nothing concerning poo because he was reluctant to move around too much. Since he has started being more like himself we have noticed little smears of poo throughout the house.

apparently with this type of tumor, I guess it is close to nerves that can cause fecal incontinence. Because he also had some teeth removed, he has also been on a diet of strictly soft food for a few days. I am thinking this condition may be a result of his rapid diet change as opposed to sugical trauma, but i'm really not sure.

The vet also said there may be some leaking. We assumed she was talking about pus and such....but maybe this was meant as well?

I'd love some opinions. I'm trying to ease my mind slightly. He's on the mend though! It's been a difficult few post op days. But my Benny is on his way back!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you mentioned this to the vet? I know with some surgeries in the perianal area there is fecal incontinence for a few days that clears up as the nerves heal.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM

If it continues for more than a few days we will call the vet.

After researching a bit more about it I am less worried. I was just wondering if there was something I was maybe missing. His healing progress has been pretty great so far. He's about to go back on his regular food...which may also see an improvement.

thanks for the reply though!

I'll post if he improves

Tags
incontinence, poop, post-op, sheltie, surgery