Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 31st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Kitty Consort

Sad topic.. pet burials

:sad: Is it wrong to bury your small pet in your yard within the city?

I'm sure there are different bylaws depending on where you live. A very large animal might be a concern .. but a small dog or cat? I cant see it posing any problem. What about a bird?
My sister lost one of her two cats to a coyote the other night. Hearing the awful screams.. her BF rushed out and chased it, the cat still in its mouth. It finally dropped it, but kitty was already dead.. a large puncture wound to the neck, which likely was broken.
They wrapped him in a towel, and took him home. The next day they buried him in their back yard..Felix's final resting place, poor little thing- he was only 3 years old. Coyotes are a big problem in this area.. as they are in most areas.
I only found this out today, of course she is very sad and upset. Adding to this she said her BF's sister told him that he never should have buried the cat in his yard.. Its not legal in the city, what about when they leave there,etc? ( they're renting)
The are already heartbroken about losing their pet. I dont see what the point is in worrying them how they chose to deal with their deceased cat. Its already done, it's not going to be reversed now.

I'd never really thought of this before. It's something we hate to even think about, the thought is too sad. .
She asked me -.was this wrong? Well, I dont think so. I dont really know...
I always thought it would be a personal decision...
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I know you are not really supposed to,but I have four cats buried in my back-yard.My vet did not even question me when I took them home..I wanted them where they had played and had a wonderful time and near me.
They did not all die at the same time,but they all have a spot between my flowering bushes..
If we sell the house and a new owner starts digging,they might wonder...but we'll face that if it ever happens.
I also have a few squirrells(my son used to scrape off the road)and lot's of birds,a regular cemetary :sad:
How terrible for your sister and even more so for the poor cat,I know of one incident here,where a Coyote tore half the face off a little ****zu,he was actually saved by a little jappy chihuahua.He did survive,but lost his eye..
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Shamrock,
When I had my cat pts, I told the vet that I would be burying her in my backyard, you would think that if it was illegal she would have told me so.
I buried her beside our cat cage (we have a caged in area off of our basement window, so the cats can go out) I wanted her to be near her cat brothers and sister.
I like Chico also have squirrels and brids buried in my backyard as well.

Tell your sister not to worry about it, she had to lay the cat to rest somewhere, she did the right thing.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

It is "illegal" in calgary. The vet DID tell me when GrizzyBear was pts, however they will let you take the animal to bury in your yard. They just "tell" you the bylaws so you're aware. A lot of people do this. I'm so sorry for your sister's loss, the kitty is already buried. If she wanted to do this, the bf's sister should mind her own business.
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM

When my childhood dog died, my dad buried her in the yard. She liked the yard so that's where he put her, along with about about 50 other wild critters who met their end in our yard for whatever reason. I wouldn't include it as a selling feature on the house but I'm sure a lot of people do it.

Actually, I'll give you a little anecdote that I hope will give you a laugh. When Terri died (at age 14, she kinda flipped out and ran into traffic so we think she knew it was her time as she had NEVER in her life left the yard) my dad dug the hole and placed her in it, my mom and the neighbour were also there. They were all crying and it was emotional. At the same time, they were having the bathroom redone and doesn't the contractor come around the corner and walk right into this funeral gathering. He stammered his apologies and said he'd come back. But through the tears my mom said "that's ok, we really want the bathroom done" (sniffle, sniffle). So the contractor gave a little cross sign and went inside to work on the bathroom. It lightened the mood a lot dispite the sadness.

I think it's comforting to know your pet is still near you.
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

It is illegal to bury any animal without a permit in Florida. But I have never heard a vet recommend otherwise. It is not their place to enforce these rules. They do offer disposal services. Most vet's I know either cremate their own pets or bury them on their own property..(without a permit)
In the larger city's one has to be more careful...it's easier to be caught, (usually turned in by a disgruntled neighbor)
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:08 PM
owned by Tucker

I was lucky when Travis our 120lb dog was pts last year we have 16 acres of land up north and we buried him up there. Our vet and the vet up there knew what we were doing and I guess its fine up there. But here in the city our vet said it was illegal to bury him and as he was a big dog he needed a fairly big hole. But I'm glad he is there he loved it up there and we have no plans on selling as we are going to build a retirement home up there so I don't ever have to worry about him being dug up, and we can visit his grave.
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:15 PM
Kitty Consort

Well, I visited my sister last night, brought her a sympathy card and a very sweet photo of her Felix that I had on file. My heart goes out to them, its a heartbreak to lose a cherished pet. :sad: I''ve been down that sad road too.
I saw his little "place". They have some crocus' plants they are going to plant when its a bit warmer
She's now afraid to let her other cat out, he is meowing incessantly. He' a Siamese, with their typical meow that is pretty much impossible to ignore. Sound more like a wail that a meow to me. Think earplugs are the answer
I wondered if he missed his friend..he must sense something is wrong.

As for the burials, I called the city- just out of curiosity, for my own information. They didnt know.
(hmm.... seems my city doesnt know much about it's animals.. also didnt know what to do with the do-do)... just what "not" to do.)

They referred me to the SPCA.. who said it was not permitted.
I believe many people will continue to lay their pet to rest in a favourite tranquil place , it's a reassuring comfort. It may technically be prohibited, but where is the harm, really?

Jaywalking is prohibited too, but I still do it sometimes.
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I buried a cat in my plot in the community garden last summer. Definitely illegal. I went over in the dead of night and dug a really deep hole. By spring, or shortly after, the body will probably be unfindable. But I will plant flowers above him in case there are any health issues. The law is an ass, sometimes.
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

The law on animal disposal came about in Florida only 2 decades ago. I can agree with this for the most part...we live on a peninsula and our fresh water comes from 2 aquafers below us...our highest msl point is only a tad over 100 feet.. Anything & everything goes into the water.

It is allowed to leave deceased animals above ground and let nature disperse of the remains. I can see this with large animals,i.e..horses, cattle..on a limited basis...but not a pet that shared the home.
There has been only to convictions for breaking this law that I have heard of and that was over 10 years ago. Both were in Orlando. I have observed that no one really cares about the law or has even heard of it. Both times a neighbor turned them in, with pictures.
Old February 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
banned user

It is definitely not legal here in PA, but I'm sure lots of people do it anyway.
Friends of the family, an older couple, with a lot of land, have buried quite a few horses and dogs over the years on their property... there probably wasn't a law against it many moons ago when their first horse died, but they just haven't stopped doing it, and I can't say I blame them.
I live more in the city so I can't do it, but if I had land like they do I would do it also.