Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodsgn View Post
I have 6 cats, one has had blood in his urine. Am I hurting him by give him ground venison raw?
Hi autodsgn,

We need a bit more info on your situation before commenting on the venison. First of all, has your cat been to the vet? If so, what tests were done and what was the treatment? Does he still have bloody urine or is it gone now?

As for the raw venison, are you just feeding ground muscle meat or do you include bones and organs or any supplements? Does he eat anything else?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wouldn't think so, venison is very good for your cats as long as you are feeding cat food or organs and bones along with it. Is your cat under vet care for the blood? What is the diagnosis?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Please Help!

I am new to this forum. I have a 16 year old cat with was just diagnosed with renal disease. She has a very mild case. The vet recommended Purina NF, but since this happened, I have been doing research on food ingredients in cat food and I am unhappy with what Purina contains. I have tried contacting wellness and blue buffalo to see what they have for low phosphorus food but upon learning that I have a cat with renal disease, they refuse to give me any information and say I should contact my vet. I contacted my vet who would only recommend what they have on their shelf, which if Science Diet (Which I will never feed) and Purina. I have fed my cats nothing but dry food (and canned food for a treat once in a while) for their entire lives, only to find out that it should have been the other way around. I am starting pretty much from scratch and I don't know what to do. I don't want to feed her a poor diet, she has already lost almost 4 pounds in the last year and a half, and thats mostly muscle, she has been having problems jumping or even if she tries to run, her back end can't keep up with her. I hate to see her decline and I want to put her on a nutritous food that will keep all her levels where they should be but also help her get to a healthy muscle mass. I know she is supposed to have low phosphorus levels, but I don't know how to go about calculating how much she should have or what she shouldn't have. I have read that I should stay away from fish products, and that chicken or turkey is the best. I am already feeding her an all wet canned food diet (which she prefers). If someone could help me to figure out what would be the best for me to feed her, I would greatly appreciate the help. When the vet turned me away I was in tears because I feel helpless. I don't want to see my best friend waste away. Please Help!
Old February 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryPaws View Post
I am new to this forum.
Hi FurryPaws, and welcome to the board.

Quote:
I have a 16 year old cat with was just diagnosed with renal disease. She has a very mild case.
Do you have a copy of the lab results, including a urinalysis? I'm a little concerned about the amount of weight she's lost, considering the CKD is supposedly mild. Was she overweight before? My own cat has had stage 3 renal disease for almost 3 years and he hasn't lost any weight.

Quote:
The vet recommended Purina NF, but since this happened, I have been doing research on food ingredients in cat food and I am unhappy with what Purina contains.
Good for you for doing some research! Unfortunately most vets don't have the first clue about what cats should be eating, especially when a chronic health condition is involved.

Quote:
I have tried contacting wellness and blue buffalo to see what they have for low phosphorus food but upon learning that I have a cat with renal disease, they refuse to give me any information and say I should contact my vet.
Just covering their @sses. Lots of people have already compiled the info from various companies though, which can be found at these links: http://catinfo.org/ (click on "Phosphorus in Cat Food - Chart" on the right hand side)
http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Now I wouldn't just focus on finding the lowest phosphorus food, there are other factors to consider. First and foremost is what your kitty is willing to eat. Also the quality of the ingredients, the amount and type of protein (lowest isn't best, and plant protein or by-products aren't great either). I think variety is important, so rotating several brands and flavours is a good idea. If your cat (what's her name, by the way?) has normal serum phosphorus levels, you may not need to limit the food phosphorus levels dramatically anyway (just keeping an eye on not feeding anything too high).

Is a raw diet an option? My cat has thrived on raw and will be turning 20 in a couple months, despite having diabetes for the last 10 yrs (which he got eating Science Diet kibble, I should add).

Quote:
she has been having problems jumping or even if she tries to run, her back end can't keep up with her.
She quite likely also has arthritis, as so many cats do over the age of 12. Is she on any kind of supplements? Glucosamine/chondroitin (such as Cosequin or Dasaquin), Adequan injections, MSM, Omega3 fish oil, green lipped mussel, etc, are some possibilities to consider.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM

Test Results

Hemogram

Red Blood Cell Count 7.78
Hemoglobin 12.0
Hematocrit 29.4
Mean Corpuscular Volume 37.8
Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin 15.4
Mean Corpuscular Hgb Conc. n/a
Red Cel Distribution Width 18.7
Platelet Count *
White Blood Cell Count 7.6
Seg. Neutrophil Absolute # 4.71
Band Neutrophil Absolute # 0.00
Lymphocyte Absolute # 2.13
Act Lymphocyte Absolute # 0.00
Monocyte Absolute # 0.23
Eosinophil Absolute # 0.46
Basophil Absolute # 0.08
Other Absolute # 0.00
Blast Absolute # 0.00
Promyelocyte Absolute # 0.00
Myelocyte Absolute # 0.00
Metamylocyte Absolute # 0.00

Differential, Vet. (VDIF)

Segmented Neutrophils 62%
Lymphocytes 28%
Monocytes 3%
Eosinophils 6%
Basophils 1%

Animal Profile 1

Glucose 93mg/dL
AST(GOT) 43U/L
ALT(GPT) 108U/L
Alk.P.Tase 18U/L
Total Bilirubin 0.00mg/dL
Cholesterol 205mg/dL
Total Protein 8.6g/dL
Albumin 4.1g/dL
Globulin 4.5g/dL
Urea N 58mg/dL
Creatinine 24mg/dL
Phosphorus 4.4mg/dL
Calcium 11.2mg/dL
Sodium 152mmol/L
Potassium 4.8mmol/L
Chloride 113mmol/L
Bicarbonate 15mmol/L
Anion Gap 29mmol/L
GGT 1U/L
A/G Ratio 0.9
Urea/Creat Ratio 24
Sodium/Potassium Ratio 32

T4, Total (VT4)

T4-VET 1.6ug/dL

Notes:

1. Platelets are clumped but count appears to be 100-175 thousand.
2. No significant poikilocytosis or polychromasia seen.
No Mycoplasma haemofelis (formerly Hemobartonella felis) seen.
3. The sample is slightly hemolyzed. Lipemia and hemolysis may skew serum results.

Urinalysis

Color: Light Yellow
Spec. Grav: 1.015
Protein: Neg
WBCL None
Bacteria: None
Sugar: Neg
Ketones: Neg
Blood: Neg
Bile: Neg
Urobiliogen: Normal
pH: 5
ABC: None
Crystals: None

My cat's name is Tilly. She has always been over weight. Between 12-14 lbs all her adult life. She is normally an eager eater, and eats most of her food right away, or heads back soon to finish the rest. I resently started feeding her Nature's Variety Instincts Duck and Rabbit Varieties. She seems to like it better than the Purina NF. With Purina NF she wouldn't even come to the bowl when I would feed her. I would have to go get her and put her in front of the bowl. and even then she wouldn't eat but a little bit and then leave it to waste. She is currently down to 11 lbs. if not more. She was in to see the vet in August, and at that time weighed 12.5. When she went in a month ago She weighed in at 11. most of the weigh she has lost is along her spine and hip region. She does have hip issues as far as arthritis, but it has never hindered her in the past until this problem reared it's ugly head. Its only of the reasons I knew something was wrong. She has been acting lethargic and doesn't have much of an appetite or a lot of energy. She seems a little more excited about the Nature's Variety, but not like she used to. I feel like she is trying to tell me something is wrong. She just wants to sit in my lap and be held all the time (which I love) but it's not like her. Don't get me wrong, she is a very snuggly cat, but it's to the 10th degree. She won't be in any room without me. I just feel like she is trying to tell me she doesn't feel well. I read somewhere that you can give Pedialyte to give more electrolytes, so I thought I would try that. She is not on Cosequin, although she was in the past, it didn't seem to help her though. But that was when she was 12 or so. I haven't ever considered a raw diet, I don't know much about it, and I always thought it was too high in protein for an older cat. I guess I'm not sure how much of protein and other nutrients that she is supposed to get. I've read a lot of things on both sides of the fence. Some say more calories to help build muscle and keep on the weight. Others say less. I'm just so confused. I only want what's best for her. I've had her since I was 10 years old and she is my best friend. I appreciate all the help I can get!
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:30 PM

In the second link you provided, are those up to date? Because on the back of the can the Crude Protein is 10.0%, Phos. .20% and moisture is 75.0%
Which would make the dry matter for Protein 40.0%, Phos. .8%. Is that right? I kind of self taught and I guess I'm not sure if I am doing it right.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:34 AM

Unhappy Looking for a good Low Phosphorus food.

My Missy was diagnosed with CKD little over a weeks ago. Her doctor could only see one kidney by way of xray. She was very ill, so she spent 4 days hospitalized. During her stay she received fluids through IV. However, we could not get her to eat. They eventually syringed fed her. She looked so much better by day 2 of her stay. Upon her release her doctor recommended sub cutaneous fluid treatment twice a week and be placed a special diet and something to bind the phosphorous.

She's been home five days now and I cannot get her to eat. I've tried Prescription K/D and Felin Renal modified, in dry and wet formulas. The most I get her to do is a couple of licks of food. So, I've been giving her old food, which she eats only a few kibbles.

I don't know what to do. Can anyone recommend food low in phosphorous that cats seem to like.