Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:14 AM

Smile Newbie

I'm new here so I thought I'd tell ya a little about my pets. I started off with a Mainecoon cat, Ozzy.I got him as a kitten. When he was about 2 yrs. old we got a Jack Russell Terrier as a pup,Elvis. He now is 1 1/2 yrs. old. My problem is that Ozzy has started to use the bathroom on my 17 yr. old son's bed. He's declawed so he's a strickly indoor cat. His litter box is scooped every 2nd day. We think he's doing it out of spite because of Elvis. I'd hate to get rid of him, but it looks like I may have to if he continues to do this. I'd definitely get rid of Ozzy before I would Elvis!! I luv my puppy dog!Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'd definitely get rid of Ozzy before I would Elvis!!
And why is that, since the cat was there first??

This cat is obviously stressed by the dog. Is the dog allowed to chase or bother him? The fact that he is declawed and knows he is vulnerable certainly isn't helping.

He may also have a medical problem, so please get him checked out. Since you feel this way about him, it would really be better to find him a home where he won't be "gotten rid of" if the new owners get a newer pet.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM

The reason I'd get rid of Ozzy 1st is because he's hard to take to. There's a reason I had him declawed, he has a real attitude. He would cut you open just for walking by him. He was declawed before I had Elvis incase your wondering. Elvis doesn't really bother too much with Ozzy. Once in awhile he'll chase after him, but doesn't hurt him at all.
The other reason is Ozzy isn't affectionate at all & Elvis is. It's hard to cuddle with something that growls when you try to hold it. ATTITUDE! You can love 1 pet more than the other you know?
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,but something made this cat the way he is and it seems you are the one with the attitude.Scooping the litter every two days,is not enough, should be done every day.
He is obviously a stressed cat and you are not helping,the cat has feelings too and knows you don't like him.
I have some experience with JR's and I can just picture this poor terrified cat,with no way to defend himself.To you watching the JR chasing the cat is probably hilarious,but it's NOT to the cat.
I don't like the tone of your post,or how little you care for a beautiful Main Coon cat,he probably would be better off in a new home,where he will know what love is all about.
The peeing in your sons bed,could be a sign of kidney-problems,a too dirty litter-box or just simply stress and fear.
Another thing,most cats will react if you"hold"it,not many like to be carried around,but will jump up on your lap or just lay down beside you to cuddle,but he can probably sense the hostility in you and is not a happy cat.
Main Coons are know for their laid back friendly demeanor,if you care at all see a vet,he could have a problem,but judging by your attitude I think you've already made up your mind to dump him. Shame on you!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep Puss' litter box in our bathroom. Whenever I notice she's used it, I scoop it. Takes 15 seconds! She hates a dirty litter box. Most cats do.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Jeepers creepers!

I'd hate to get on your bad side!