Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Rabbits

Can they be trained to use a litter box? Does anyone have them as house pets? I was just wondering, because I am thinking about adopting one. But with the heat, I wan't to have it as an indoor pet, and let it run around the house, like my sister's cats. I have had many rabbits before, so I know what I will be getting into. I just have never had one that was indoors, and wanted to know if it would work, before I went and adopted one. It won't be until James gets his pay raise next month though.
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:45 PM
<-----nut ball

aparently they are really easy to house train. I heard you just put some of their droppings in the area you want them to use, and they start using it.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great! I asked James about getting a rabbit. He said he would let me get one today, if we had the money, and if we were allowed to keep him indoors. Beint that it is privatized housing on a military installation, he would ahve to be kept outside at all time. I think that is just cruel. So I have atleast a year (may move off the installation) before we are going to get one. So I have plenty of time to find out the best way to train it, to be indoors.

I am thinking about getting a baby one, or one that I know has been around alot of people, including children, and has been handled alot. Las thing I need is a rabbit that bites all the time. Had one of those growing up as a kid, becasue we got him off a farm, where he didn't get much attention...... I think it will be easier for us and ths small space, and moving to have a rabbit, than it would be to have a dog, and from the sounds of it, Morgan and Spooks may be going back with my sister in the next year. And James and I want our kids to be around some sort of animal alot, so they know how to treat them failrly, if that makes any sence.
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

My bunny was easily litter trained and he had the run of the house, after it was rabbit proofed of course, lol Bunnies make absolutely wonderful pets!! You can find more info at the House Rabbit Society - http://www.rabbit.org
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Cat Whisperer

When I was in college, my roomate adopted a bunny. Honestly, I thought our rabbit would be a "boring" pet. Boy was I wrong! She was always on the move, and was very smart. She could also be a huge brat at times.

When we watched scary movies, she'd jump over the back of the couch and thwack us in the head to scare the bejesus out of us! She constantly stole my socks (loved my room), and before she was fixed like to romance my stuffed animals.

She was fairly reliable with her litterbox... every once in a while we'd discover a few little pellets here and there, luckily they weren't smelly and were easily cleaned up.

She chewed everything, a LOT. Our baseboards were trashed by the time we moved out. If we squirted her, or fussed at her for chewing on things, she'd put her ears back and stomp the ground at us, just like a little kid!

We always joked that she didn't know she was on the bottom of the food chain because she was so spunky.
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Great. I am glad to hear that they can be trained. So I guess until we get the little guy, I can educate myself on indooor rabbits, and what you need to do for them, being that I only had outdoor ones before.

Another thing, what do you guys do with the power cords to electronics? Is it just best to block that area off so he couldn't get near the cords? It is only in the living room. And the computer, TV, and all of James' game systems are in the same area.
Old June 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Cat Whisperer

We were able to block off the area behind the entertainment center to protect it. The cords that we couldnt' block off, we bought wire covers for (we found them at Home Depot) that were made of hard plastic.
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. YOu guys have been so helpful....
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

another question....

What would be better to get, a baby, or an adult. I don't want issues with biting. Do alot of SPCA's or other anminal shelters have rabbits/ bunnies. Would I be able to find one that wouldn't bite my kids, like the ones I had. I know what they will have to be held alot for that reason.......
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cat Whisperer

It's an area thing. Around here, every shelter has at least 2 or 3 bunnies. Most are happy to let you come by and meet them, as well. Ours encourages you to bring along your children in order to meet them as well.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Don't have any suggestions about where to get one (or if an adult is better than a baby) but I have to say that a friend of mine had a rabbit. She was so cute - was crate trained and loved to play with balls. She would roll them back and forth - and could actually move pretty quick for such a fat bunny!
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I just want to make sure that I don't end up with one that bites. James and I have chosen to get a rabbit, because we are going to be moving alot, and getting anything bigger, would be difficult to move with, even a small dog.... Plus we want something that is small, not noisy, and won't be rough with our children, because they will be very small yet. And I do know that our children can't be left unattended with the little guy out, and that we will have to supervise all petting, so they don't hurt him or visa versa. And that I am willing to do. I think this is a perfect starter pet for the kids, being that they won't get knocked down my a dog jumping, or being bit by play. Nor does it have the risk of getting scratched or bit by a cat. Yes rabbits will bite, sometimes. But I think they have a far less of a chance of gettin hurt buy one....

I bet you anything I could find one on pertfinder. I forgot all about that place.....
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

If you are waiting for a year, wait until a month or two after Easter 2006. All those inappropriate Easter presents will be looking for new homes then. Sad, cynical, but true
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I would never thought of that. THANKS. I am sure I will find the perfect on that way.....
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I found the rabbit I would love to get.... He seems perfect.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Cat Whisperer

Well, rabbits can scratch, I've still got a rabbit-scratch scar. But, I was trying to hold her while we clipped her nails, so I'm sure she feels that I got what I deserved.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I just scrolled quickly through this but yes, block off the electronics section unless you enjoy buying cords. I got to the pt where I bought telephone cords at the Dollar Store - he chewed them. I;d be on the phone and the line woud gp dead, lol Then there was my cell phone charger the day I brought home the cell phone.. it is an endless list. Also for the safety of the bunny, keep him or her away from items pluffed in - you do not want to electrocute Flopsy.

Almost all rabbots bite and they do scratch, especially when they want down. Mine was a love bunny but when he wanted down, he wanted down NOW!

And yes, they are very very smart!! I always thought mine saw the telephone as competition and so he ;earned wuickly that if he chewed the cord, I was no longer talking to it. I went wireless and shopped at the Sollar Store, lol
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:40 PM

I love bunnies. I had a couple growing up, but they were all outdoor bunnies. My first rabbit was a nasty red velvet flop, very beautiful but not so nice. Got scratched by it a couple times. But nothing was as bad as when I got bite. I had a friendly rabbit and got bite by accident, I was feeding him a carrot and he thought my thumb was part of the carrot and took a chomp. Lost my nail and have a nice scar on the bottom of my thumb. I love rabbits, but those little teeth scare me.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

That will be one thing we will have to watch out for. I think that our kids won't feed them at all, they will just be able to pet him and what not.....Maybe I will allow them to put carront peices into the food dish, but not feed them by hand....