Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
owned by Tucker

Sorry to bore you another dog food question

The local pet store near me is now carrying 6 new types of dog food that they didn't carry before, can anyone tell me which one is better in value as in diet wise and money wise? I want to change Tuckers food as he is still on Iams (I know tabo) but I have been waiting until I would be off on vacation awhile as with my last dog his stomach did weird things when you changed his food and it was not a pretty site. The types of food are Wellness, Healthy Paws, Royal Canin, Wysong, Eagle Pack, and Solid Gold. I prefer a lamb and rice type of diet I heard it is better for their skin and coat, any info would be helpful. I have heard you guys menshion some of these foods before but others I have never heard of. Thanks
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

As they are new foods to the store, they should have samples of them. Wellness and Solid Gold are both excellent foods. I would pick what your dog likes as mine won't eat wellness, no matter what version I pick.
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Coopers mom

to make the change easier on the guy make sure to mix the foods gradually increasing the amount of the new food for at least a week
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:37 AM

I've recently changed my dog's food. She used to eat Eukanuba but I switched her to Solid Gold. She loves it and is doing very well on it. She is eating Mmillenia Beef & Barley Adult Dog Dry Food. I pay the same amount for the Solid Gold food that I did for her Eukanuba, but it is much better quality and I know she will do better on it. Her coat is extremely shiney!
Old June 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Performance Spaniels

I'd also go with wellness or solid gold.
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM

Yes, Wellness and solid gold. However, fish is better for the coat than lamb. If coat is important to you, try the Wellness Fish and Potato, or the Solid Gold Wolf King.
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:43 PM
Performance Spaniels

I switched from wysong to wellness fish and sweet potatoe. Her coat always looked nice, but I can still see a little more improvement still.
Old June 21st, 2005, 02:46 PM
banned user

:)

I say Wellness or Solid Gold too. Maximus is on Wellness, but is starting the long process of switching to Solid Gold WolfCub this evening. Not because Wellness is bad, but because Maximus is allergic to something in it, and WolfCub is made of almost completely different ingredients. Some people think Solid Gold is even better than Wellness, I don't have an opinion yet- I will let you know. However, in one of the other dog food posts someone said they were surprised to see how certain Wellness Foods (not all) have a good amount of fillers.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM

"However, in one of the other dog food posts someone said they were surprised to see how certain Wellness Foods (not all) have a good amount of fillers."

I need to look around for that post. That is interesting!

My female will not eat wellness. Even when i mixed it with wet merricks food, she spit out all the wellness kibble. I know of many dogs who do not like Wellness. But my male eats wellness. I am not too sure how i feel about wellness yet. My female is the pickiest eater ever, and she enjoys Merricks food (the wet and dry). Where i go to, Merricks is slightly more expensive then Wellness. I think you should ask for sample sizes before you commit to a big bag (as i did with Wellness).
Old June 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM

doggy lover,

can I just comment on the "lamb and rice being better for the skin issue"? This is a myth that started like this: Years ago, there was no food made with lamb and rice. One company that makes prescription diets for dogs and cats brought out one type with this combination to help control food allergies. Why? Because you need to feed a protein and a carbohydrate that the animal has never encountered to be able to prove/disprove that the skin problem/scratching was caused by a food allergy. So, obviously, a bunch of dogs with food allergies got better with this diet. Other companies (not prescription diets but ordinary diets) thought: this is great! We'll make one food with lamb and rice and tell the people it's good for the skin!!! It works for the vets, why wouldn't it work for us?

Well, it just made life more difficult for the owners and the vets of dogs with food allergies because now, most dogs have had lamb and rice in one form or another. So they have to find other protein/carb sources that the dog has not been exposed to: horse, kangaroo, venison, etc

Just wanted to clear up that myth... And that being said, you have some good options, there (Wellness, Solid Gold, etc)

Lyne