Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Nutro Training Bits

Anyone like these? I'm thinking about getting some since Davy love nutro food. He is VERY picky when it comes to treats. I've tried Snausages (beef & cheese), Pet Botanics "training reward", pedigree trainer and scooby snacks. The only thing he is half way interested in is the scooby snacks. They are hard as a rock and really hard to break into small pieces w/o them crumbling. I need something better and thought maybe he would like this Nutro training bits since he likes the food??

First 5 Ingredients...
Beef, Rice Flour, Chicken Meal, Soy Flour, Modified Food Starch
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM

treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANBshilling
I'm thinking about getting some since He is VERY picky when it comes to treats.
Have you tried dehydrated hot dogs? Most dogs love them - just cut into bits and bake on a cookie sheet until they are shrivelled up. You can sprinkle a bit of garlic on them to make them even more tempting. Once they are dehydrated they don't even need to be refrigerated - just store in a tupperware or airtight container. They are also very cost effective!
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:11 PM
<-----nut ball

What our trainer said is to only feed soft foods for training, because a hard food (like cookies) the dog has to crunch, and you loose their attention while they chew and crunch the cookie.

We found the BEST treat to be those Roll Over semi soft dog foods. They come in all kinds of flavours so you can match your dogs diet. It's kinda like the texture of a dry cured salami.

http://www.rolloverpetfood.com/product_rolls.htm

also there is Natural Balance brand:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/DFRolls.html

We have tried both. We tried the Lamb one from Natural Balance, and the new Pacific Salmon one from Roll Over (not on their website even yet...VERY NEW) and Odin loved both!!

All you do is slice it up, the cut up into chunks. Freeze unused portions, or cut up the whole thing and stick it in the freezer so you can always take out a handful!

I know the Natural Balance comes in a small trial size (about 1 inch long) and the Roll Overs come in a small size too...maybe 4 inches long, but it's thinner than the natural balance.

Hope this helps. It worked the best for us!
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:18 AM

I don't know if soy in that form is bad, but I know soy in general can cause bloat. If the cookies make the dog very gassy, I'd stop.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I use nutro dog cookies for sam, and he likes them and they dont bother his sensative tummy

I dont use trainer treats much for him, or he would expect a treat everytime i asked him to do something
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus