Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I just find this all so sad!! NB at least rejected this route tho certain counties in NS are prohibiting certain dog breeds. Imho, usually when accidents occur especially involving children (and I know ALL too well how emtional that is), it is b/c the child was left alone with the dog. So why arn't the parents called into question for child endangerment? It's not the dog's fault!

I do realize that comment is being preached to the converted. It seems to me that legally, this issue is so far from over!! It's yet to even go before the Supreme Court (and it WILL!) so how can these piddly little officious municipal lackies tell you to destroy an animal that you love? That's horrendous! Don't yell at me for not comparing it to the Halocaust (I think that is a biot extreme - speaking as an Irish person whose bf's grandparents were murdered by the Nazis) - think that's a bit much. The Halocaust victims had no courts available and that I think is still available as well as is public opinion, tourism dollars, your own business, supporters.

If I lived in Ontario, I would be working to make sure those opportunistic politicians who voted for this are ousted!

Anyway, my thoughts are with you!! I hope you win your case. Re something else you said, how could they arrest you if you move? I don't understand that.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Long Term Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSteele
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 4:37 PM
To: 2 Go Group - Admin
Subject: Fw: Complaint - Please Respond

I was reading your reply and would have continued to do so until you mentioned the Nazi's and the comparison. That's when I turned it off. If you wish to continue this discussion you should look at your choice of euphemisms and choose them more carefully. You also should be ashamed of yourself for mentioning the word Nazi, I have good friends who have had relatives fall at the hands of the Nazis, and they would be appalled at your comments.

Maybe you should direct your emails to the City from now on.

Thank You

Ward McAlister

---------------------------

Our response........

I’m posting your responses to all of the people who are going to fight against what you’re doing. It is you who may wish to choose your words more carefully. Taking the time to lecture us instead of making sure you didn’t make a mistake is wasting time in SAVING OUR DOGS LIFE if that’s what you people still do.

Maybe you should get educated on how to identify dogs and stop condemning harmless dogs.

I’m Jewish Mr. Ward, and I’ll have you know that blindly following something because you were told without a conscience is Nazi, and I’m not the only one in this town, province or country who feels that’s exactly the mentality of the Humane Society clicking their heals and following this. “I’m only following orders” is what came out of your by-law enforcer today. Doesn’t get any more Nazi than that.

Jennifer Mitchell
I would like to see the responce to that good job.
What an uneducated... person. He needs to look his facts up more carefully. I think you worded yourself very well, and I dont understand his... being an ass-hole.
I can't comment further because I may offend too many people. I hope it gets better... feel free to chat with me whenever. Good-luck
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, Ive been off the board for a few days so Ive just caught up to your posts, I can only repeat the words of encouragement from everyone else. Im glad you have been in touch with Advocates for the underdog, as they are part of Banned Aid and are the organizations that we have been supporting. I am so sorry you are going through all of this and it certainly is giving us a glimpse of what may be instore for all of us come August 29th! It is great that you are taking such a strong stand against this inhumne and anti-democratic law. Best of luck ,we are all behind you and we will help with whatever we can.
By the way Toronto alleged pittie owners, when I spoke to the manager for the Toronto pounds, she told me that no matter what breed I say, or my vet says, Rocky is, if they think he looks like a pit bull that is what they will regiser him as. On his vet records hes an American bulldog X. I thought that would give me options when the time came to register him, but now I dont want to take any chances, its safer to have him registered as a "pit bull"
incase a scenario like this were to happen. On the other hand, Im hoping that because the designation is the "pound keepers" and not mine, I can say that I never agreed, it was thier hopefully "illegal determination"
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Hi Everyone. Sorry we haven't been updating you. We're in the middle of erecting a site for the "Lily-Legistlation" and we have our first on-camera interview with CKCO TV in Kitchener today. Thanks to all of your leads, we may just change this for everyone. I'll post again this evening after the interview and after we've had a few more meetings.

Thank-you again for helping us have the strength to do this

Sam & Jen
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Lily

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenSteele
Hi Everyone. Sorry we haven't been updating you. We're in the middle of erecting a site for the "Lily-Legistlation" and we have our first on-camera interview with CKCO TV in Kitchener today. Thanks to all of your leads, we may just change this for everyone. I'll post again this evening after the interview and after we've had a few more meetings.

Thank-you again for helping us have the strength to do this

Sam & Jen
No Jen, THANK YOU!!!! Thank-you for having the courage to put up a good fight. You will be a part of history when all this is done and over with. And all dog-owners will have you to thank for standing up and challenging a law against dogs of any breed. THANK-YOU!

And good luck with your interview!
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:38 AM
banned user

THANK YOU Jen! I've been following this thread since the beginning and am so glad to see that you are not backing down. My only suggestion is to stop dealing with the KWHS, in particular with Mr. McAlister, since he doesn't seem to understand the gravity of the issue: a dog's life is at stake!

I wish you good luck and we are all behind you on this! You go girl!
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:16 PM

This is where we'll be posting the Lily site. www.savinglily.com Hopefully it will be up soon.

Sam - Sandra is doing the interview with CKCO. We're hoping that it won't be a case of yet another anti-pitbull story that comes out of this area.

Thanks!
Jen
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Long Term Member

aww... you are doing so well. This is amazing... the effort. I'm with you on this one. GOOD LUCK!
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got into this thread and I am appaled but also incouraged.
I applaud you in your thinking and the fact that your exausting all avenues and not leaving a stone unturned.
This can't be considered the right thing to do. It just cant!
That guys response obviously using your nazi reference as a scapegoat not to answer. I would encourage you not to mention that as when the media gets a hold of that they focus on that and nothing else. One lady mentioned this during the hearings and instead of reporting on the hearings and our overwhelming evidence agaisnt this ban they debated the use of a nazi reference. I will be writing to this fool also and calling if I can....

I feel so bad for you! I really am hurting just thinking about it. I encourage to do anything you can. ANYTHING! Put 50 people on the lawn... If the media holds on to this story like we do then I am sure people will see your passion and you will gain some more support. Were here with you just let us know who to call, who to email and who to egg.....oh were not doing that? Ok then...
But seriously I have a feeling you may just be the face we need for this.... no pressure ok? One case overturned is one case closer to denouncing these bylaws.
I really hate Canada for this. I hate the majority of people who think this is a viable solution. .... Even if you were terrified and believed all the hype I still dont understand how death is a solution.... How people could feel ok with supporting this.
I wonder what would happen if all spca's and city pounds just refused to do the politicians dirty work?

As for you JEn, YOU ROCK! This is gonna be hard for you but soooo worth it. You believe in something and your taking it to the airways... Your doing all you can. I wish more owners where more like you and then I think if they recieved this kind of stink from everyone who got a death warrant then I believe they would have no choice but to get rid of this peice of crap bylaw.
Were with you ... I hope you know you have friends at pets.ca!

Good luck! If this if were the case with my dog I think I literally would chain myself to him.... I am just that nuts about him!

Lily is very very very very lucky to have you!!!!

Last edited by Luvmypit; May 26th, 2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Maybe I can help?

I live in London Ontario and on June 5,2005, the London Humane Society is holding its' annual Bark In The Park fundraiser, where 100's if not 1000's of dogs and people will be in attendance. Is there some sort of petition we can get going or some sort of flyer, sticker, whatever that I can be handing out or getting people to sign to assist you with your situation? I am a on the executive of the London Dog Owners' Association and we will have a booth there that day. Perhaps I can have a petition that you have designed and worded there, if my group will allow, and garner a pile of signatures for you and mail them on to the recipient that would be the best candidate to recieve such documents. Just a thought....but there is strength in numbers and this most certainly affects ALL dog owners, as you are now too well aware. If you or anyone out there thinks that this might be a good idea, let me know and co-ordinate it and it will be done!
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Lezzerpezzer,that sounds like a great idea!!
I am so proud of everyone,especially Jennifer Mitchell...people power will hopefully save Lilys and all other dogs lives
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Yes please please do this. Here's the wording we sent to Mr. Bryant:

Save our Dog and lives of 100s of 1000s of innocent animals by enacting the:

Lily-Legislation that calls for the immediate stop of Kitchener-Waterloo’s by-law and Windsor’s by-law, requiring the burden of proof to be upon the accuser, as it is for humans in this Country, and requiring a vicious act from a dog before it can be considered a menace to society.

Stop this before this becomes the blackest mark on Canadians in the new millennium.

Please include the website www.savinglily.com and the email info@savinglily.com as well.

Thank-you for joining us in this fight.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Jen, I just want to commend you for what you are doing. Your email back to the KWHS was awesome. Way to go! I will help as much as possible.
Old May 26th, 2005, 01:57 PM

save Lily petition....

My pleasure. Consider it done. I will speak with the Prez of my group and get the OK to proceed. I do not see a problem with having a petition with an accompanying placard on our table. Just need to put the bug in her ear and I am sure this will be no problemo.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Kitty Consort

That is a wonderful and helpful idea Lezzerpezzer, kudos to you.
Kudos to you all for helping to fight this fight, and to change this draconian legislation.

You are a true inspiration, Jen!
When a person, or group of people, stands up to fight against such appalling persecution, we all benefit and are strengthened.
The line is drawn in the sand ...

Good luck to you and Lily - will be following your campaign closely
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Wonderful thank-you!

If everyone who is the email mood could send an email to:

mbryant.mpp@liberal.ola.org

The is the man who is responsible for trying to put the BSL through in Ontario, and it is the provincial government who can stop or stay a municpal law. Only when the province formally refuses will we move to the Federal government.

Please Subject your email: Please envoke the Lily Legislation

Please address him as Mr. Bryant or the The Honerable Mr Michael Bryant

Please please be curtious, and level headed.

Please use this phrasing:

Save Lily and lives of 100s of 1000s of innocent animals by enacting the:

Lily-Legislation that calls for the immediate stop of Kitchener-Waterloo’s BSL by-law and Windsor’s BSL by-law, requiring the burden of proof to be upon the accuser, as it is for humans in this Country, and requiring a vicious act from a dog before it can be considered a menace to society.

Stop this before this becomes the blackest mark on Canadians in the new millennium.

Thank-you so much!
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I sent my email!!

ver batim, as requested. Keep 'em going, folks!! :love:
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Kitty Consort

Sent verbatim!
Couldnt bring myself to use the word "honorable".. "Mr Bryant" is all he gets from me.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM

possible petition

FYI...I have emailed the Prez of the LDOA and requested permission to post petition, stickers, flyers, poster or anything to aid in Lily and her family's plight. It occurs to me that the event I am participating in is a Humane Society event and the issue at hand is also involving a Humane Society, and I would not to cause a conflict. I want it looked at as a "dog" issue, an "inhumane" issue and NOT a way to slam the Humane Society. Mind you, the KWHS needs a good slamming, but I don't want to pizz of the London HS in any way. Do you see a possible dilemma or do you feel it is safe to proceed if I get my groups' blessing? Please, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciate.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Jen,I do not think anyone here holds any hope that a Pit-Bull hater like M.Bryant would ever be of much help,but then again this might be a chance for him to redeem himself,although the BSL-legislation he advocated in Ontario is not quiet as inhumane as K-W,it's bad enough,especially for little pit-puppies born after August and I believe even now.
We all wrote him e-mails when BSL was about to become law,but to no avail,but another e-mail certainly does not hurt.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I wonder what would happen if the daughter/son of one of these politicians wanted a "pit bull" or if they had owned one in the beginning. I bet things might've been different.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

sent my e-mail

Good luck Jen, keep it up. Wasn't it on this board that I read recently about the laws they've enacted in Italy that require people to walk their dogs three times a day, no tail docking, etc.? What a difference huh!!! Kinda makes ya all warm and fuzzy to be a Canadian! Anyhow, Lezzerpezzer I can't see why or how the Humane Society should take issue with your petition. Freedom of speech and all that too you know. If it's wrong it's just plain wrong. Go for it.
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM

In aid of Lily

Thanks Dog Dancer. I want to make waves but not the wrong kind of waves. Our HS here is fantastic! And Lily sure needs our help! I will press on.....
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:00 PM

I have no doubt that the London Humane Society is a fine organization. I used to think that about the KWHS until they forgot what their mission is. We are in no way bashing the Human Society as an Organization, but just one chapter in Kitchener. Don't hate the group because one person is an idiot.

We're not talking about the HS as a whole, we're talking about the KWHS. The Toronto Humane Society is an organization that has publicly spoke out against the BSL and absolutely deserves your support, your money, and anything else you can do for them. The Kitchener-Waterloo Humane Society on the other hand should have it's funding revoked until they understand that their mission is not to assist in the death of innocent animals who already have a home.

In other news....

We have a commercial that has been done pro-bono by the florida voice talent artist Paul J Warwick - www.pauljwarwick.com .. If you would like to hear this commercial or you would like to download it and try to talk radio stations into playing it... this is the link http://www.savinglily.com/savinglily.mp3

There is also a banner - http://www.savinglily.com/savelily.jpg to use on websites.

Thank you again for all the warm comments and carrying.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Great commercial!
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Just a thought:

If you are going to send emails to Bryant - it would probably be a good idea to send a cc to the opposition party. I think Joe Tascona is the critic to the AG (not 100% sure).

That way Bryant can't deny recieving them - Or worse, just count them, and then claim that they are letters of support for his ban.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM

The CKCO interview has aired. While they let Sandra get her point across about Lily being guilty before being proven innocent they cut out ALL of the proof she offered about what the Vet Medical Association said, what the CKC said, and what Dr Gary Goeree offered us for information. They also let the City Council of Kitchener lead people to believe that they're fine because they have a CKC member on the appeal board, even though the CKC themselves said nobody in Canada is qualified to determine what a pitbull is.

CKCO interviewed Sandra for an hour and give her about 10 seconds of clips. They cut out the website address and every thing about the Lily Legislation and Sandra saying the BIGGER issue is that these by-laws are being enforced by untrained people and that BSL is NOT going to save people from dog bites leash laws will. What looked really bad, in our favour, the Humane Society declined any comment. Interesting huh?

We'll have the CKCO interview posted on the website by tomorrow for what it's worth. In a city where both the newspaper and the television station are responsible for only reporting bitpull related attacks, you can't be too surprised.

What they did put in which we were very pleased with but unfortunity it got cut off in the panic to record it, the newscaster said "A local woman is going to move her family and her business out of Kitchener before she'll put her dog down"

There is an interview going on, on the Roy Green show AM 900 CHML Hamilton at 10:05 tomorrow morning ( listen live link http://www.900chml.com/ ) with Stever Barker of the DLCC who will be bring Lily's story to the Hamilton/Burlington area.

By the way, Brantford Ontario City Council, just passed similar legislation today. If you have a dog that even remotely resembles a pitbull, go to ANOTHER sympathtic city NOW and have your dog registered under whatever you can get that city to put down on the license by a friend or family. Do what we should have done the first time somebody said "Does that dog have some pit in her?"

For the bitpull owners, get the heck out of dodge now.
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Loki

YES YES you're right!! Write the opposition at the same time!

Also, by law, government officials are required to respond to your letters an emails. If they do not, complain or keep sending with a response request.

BoxerRescueMTL - your inbox is full! PLEASE send a banner for your company that we can post under "People Saving Lily" to jen@2gogroup.com .
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I believe in order to get an audience to sympathize with your plight, you have to show the emotional side of this fight. This dog who "may" look like a pit bull is a loving and valuable member of your family, and if there are children involved, Lily is their best friend, and maybe their only friend!
And to rip Lily away from her family and destroy her would be very detrimental to your family, and will have a life long phycilogical (sp) effect on a young impressionable child!! How can this family especially the child ever respect or feel proud of the government or this country, if they come in and kill it's family member??!!! How will this child grow up to be a upstanding law abiding citizen, when this childs government rips this childs heart out by killing his best friend!!

I may be getting carried away, but maybe someone may want to talk to a child phycologist to find out what effect something like this would have on a child (taking the childs dog and killing it). I believe the public would listen if they knew this could have an adverse emotional effect on a child!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Closed Thread