Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

View Poll Results: Which do you use, a split or standard keyboard?
Standard 13 76.47%
Split 2 11.76%
What the heck is a split keyboard? 1 5.88%
Neither, I type by telekinesis 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Split or Standard Keyboard??

I have so many people that come into my office comment on my keyboard. I have a split keyboard that is more ergonomic and is better for carpal tunnel than a standard keyboard. Everyone is like "how the heck do you type on that thing?". I actually have a hard time now with a standard keyboard - I definitely make more mistakes on a standard one. So, I was wondering how many people use a split one?
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM

Not me. I still use the old-fashioned kind. Hey, you should ask the mods to put a poll. LOL I wrote it before the poll was up-- how's that for timing?
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I was working on the poll, I was just playing with the options. You're just too fast Prin!

We were typing at the same time! LOL

Last edited by kandy; July 21st, 2005 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added comment
Old July 21st, 2005, 03:59 PM

I have both..

My favourite is the split keyboard - soooo much more comfortable! It doesn't take long to get used to typing on them, especially if you type by touch/memory. But right now I'm using a standard black one that came with my new computer because it's prettier I plan to change back soon though!
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't like the split - maybe if it was custom designed to fit my hand size it would be different. I type about 120 wpm on a standard - with relatively few errors. My speed declines and error rate increases significantly if using a split.
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM
Meowwww!

:sad: Thanks. I miss my ergonomic keyboard. I remember it fondly and have yet to send it to the great beyond. Even plugged it into my laptop. :sad: I miss my laptop. It lies in the same pile as the keyboard.

Seriously, though I use to actually get between 80 to 90 wpm on the natural keyboard and 40 to 60 on the regular plus my wrists/forearms don't hurt.

Coffee + keyboard = baddd!

Note to self: Use thermal mug with lid.
Sport aka "Sporticus" - 4 year old black & white kitty
Clio aka "Baby" - 4 year old grey kitty
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

The first time I used the split keyboard, I couldn't figure out how the heck people use it. I'm talking the Microsoft one that's all lumpy! After using it a few times, I found it amazing. But I've never gotten one myself. Too cheap! However, I think if I start working on my novel again, I might be able to loosen the purse strings.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I prob should use an ergonomic one but I have several different computers - 2 laptops (one is owned by the univ and it is just for research and work) - and they are all regualar keyboards - enhanced I guess is the term. I prefer the larger keyboard than my laptop but then I can't use the desktop in bed, haha I could I suppose use a wireless kbd with it?

Anyway - to reply and stop meandering - straight!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I worked at a place that only had split keyboards years ago and then last year I had to have physical therapy for my carpal tunnel. The first thing that the therapist recommended was a split keyboard. My boss was kind enough to buy me one and when I got promoted, no one else wanted my keyboard, so I took it to my new position. I have a straight one at home and find that I cannot type nearly as fast or with the accuracy that I get from my split one. Not to mention that after typing for a bit, my hands and wrists really start to ache at home. Don't have much problem at work anymore.

I noticed that someone chose the don't know what a split keyboard is, so here's a link: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...boards&An=text
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
Crazy About Chow Chows

Thanks. I'd probably type horribly on that. I'm used to a standard and can type of to 300 wpm- usually about 200-ish though. I'd be lucky to type maybe 100 on that...

I have a curved keyboard- like the shape of the split one, but laid out like a standard. I've never gotten carpal tunnel with it though.

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Standard for me. I am a pc tech and some of my users have the split ones, I have to hunt and peck on theirs. If I had to use one, I think I could get used to it though, but hopefully won't have to

Diane
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM

I have a split keyboard and I find it more comfortable than a regular keyboard when I'm doing my homework. Since my homework include programming assignments, I have spent many many hours on the keyboard. I don't think I could for for the same length of time on a regular keyboard.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:49 PM

We go through keyboards like dirty socks around here... I wear the letters off, wear gouges into the keys from my fingernails long before the things stop functioning all together.. BUT we go through plenty of them nonetheless. Therefore, I end up opting for the cheapest deal at the time and buy three or so at a time so we always have spares.

Hmm.. as a matter of fact the E S A and C are worn completely off on the one I'm using right now. And I'm quite sure it was replaced before the beginning of summer.

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:27 PM
owned by Tucker

Ahh carpel tunnel had that been there, surgery hurt more. They don't knock you out just freeze you hand with big needles ouch.