Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Question cat gets stressed out in car

I took Mocha to the vet this morning for his snip snip. He was so stressed out. I put him in the car carrier and then when we got into the car he was foaming at the mouth and panting. The vet is only about a 5 to 10 min drive from our home depending on the traffic. Just before we got to the vet, around the corning, he got the dirrahea and peed all in his carrier. I felt so bad for him. I got him out of the carrier and cleaned him off with a towel that I had in the car and took him into the vet. I just called them and he is now doing great sitting happily in a cage awaiting his surgrey. How can I make his drive home less stressful and without the mess. I have to go and clean my car today it sticks of car urine and poo from him this morning even though he was in the carrier.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Ask the vet if he'll allow you to pick up the cat while he's still a bit groggy. Male cats can go home a little earlier than females (as far as I know anyway), and the vet may either let the boy go home sleepy, or give him a mild sedative if he's fully awake by the time you go to get him.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Unfortunately I can't pick him up early. I am at work until 5, so I can't pick him up until after that, but he might still be groggy cause he still hasn't gone in for the surgrey yet. They said he would be ready to go home around 4:00 or 4:30.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Ask the vet if they think he'll be groggy at the time you go for him, or if they can help out a bit in that department. I'm sure they'd rather send a groggy cat home than one who's just had surgery and is freaking out.

There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the information. I will ask them when I call to find out how he is making out.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Please let us know how the "big day" went - ok?

Old March 30th, 2005, 12:48 PM

I'd be interested in what you find out to keep your cat calm in the car. One of mine does not like going in the car. She always ends up throwing up.

Please let us know if your vet has any suggestions.
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM

everything went great yesterday with the surgrey. Mocha is doing fine now that he is home. He was still a little groggy when I took him home, but not even, just before we drove in the driveway I think he realized that he was in the car and started foaming at the mouth again. I had ask the vet assistant about what to do about him being stressed in the car and she didn't have any suggestions. She just said he will most likely still be groggy when I take him home and if he was in the cat carrier he would do better in the car. He was more stressed out in the cat carrier than he was when I just sat him on the front seat. I know he should be loose in the car, but I had to take the carrier home to have my BF clean it and I didn't have time to go back home and get it before I picked him up. Anyway he is home now, and hopefully wont' have to make another trip back to the vet until he needs his shots again.

I made an appointment to take Mac to get his first shots next week and then three weeks after that it will be his turn for the snip snip. Hopefully he won't get to stressed in the car. He seems to like the cat carrier that last time he was in it.
Mac - 1yr cat
Old March 31st, 2005, 08:41 AM

I'm glad things went well! Most cats don't like being in a car unless they've been going in it since they were babies. Older cats may not take to the car ride as easily.