Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

View Poll Results: What foods can be found at your house?
Organic ( meat or veggies) 8 32.00%
Grocery store ( meat or veggies) 20 80.00%
Farmed foods (farmed by yourself or someone you know) 8 32.00%
Quick foods ( pizza pockets, kraft dinner, highlander ect.) 11 44.00%
Fast food/Take out( McDonalds, Wendys, BK ect) 2 8.00%
Frozen dinners 5 20.00%
Store baught goodies ( cookies, cakes ect) 6 24.00%
Homebaked goodies ( cookies, cakes ect) 10 40.00%
Special dietary foods ( diabetic, allergies ect) 3 12.00%
My option is isnt here, I'll post below. 2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

What do you feed yourself/family?

ITs been bothering me for a little while now that many of us are very knowlegable as to what we feed our pets and voice our knowlege when ever we have the chance. However...
I have been wondering what type of food we all eat.

Myself I am a stickler for Orgaic meat and veggies but much prefer eating things that have been raised by or grown by someone I know ( farmers)

Very very few things are made out of a box here. Some stuff I do eat such as perogies, stuffing, cereals ect, just because I do not know as of yet how to make from scratch.

I dont like using Club House mixes for anything but sometimes will.
Deep fried anything a definate no go around here. and so on.

I just dont trust complete strangers who may be importing MY food from sketchy places very much.
I mean, we put ALOT of faith in companies to deliver us nutrition whether it be fast foods, or convienience foods.

What your take on this????
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Helicopter Champion

My furkids eat far far far healthier than we do. We buy our meats from a small butcher shop who carry hormone free meats. Fruits and veggies come mainly from the grocery store.

I don't bother with organic fruits / veggies as I've yet to see evidence that suggests that they are any healthier than 'normal' ones - I have read several reports that indicate they are no better / no worse than non-organic ones.
Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
owned by Tucker

I didn't see the spot for my pet eats better than I. I get some stuff from a friend with a farm, I'd buy my beef from him but my daughter shows his cattle and won't allow me to put it in the freezer, the rest I get from the store.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM

I'd buy my beef from a friend of mine whose family raises cattle (small farm) but I've never had $300 to drop on a half a cow since I went back to school... But I'd like to because I know their cows are probably healthier than anything at the grocery store...

I'm too poor for organic right now... and even if I wasn't, I'm not entirely sold on organic.

I don't buy meat all that often, but when I do, I buy the best the grocery store has. I make sure my burger, for example, is "fresh and never frozen" instead of that Frankenmeat they sell too...

Do I eat things I would never feed my dogs? Hell yeah. I firmly believe that part of a balanced omnivore diet is contained in the mystery meat in sausages.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM

You did not put a category for butcher shops, fishmongers, bakeries, specialty shops, markets, etc...

I alternate between these types of shops and grocery stores -

Organic stuff, to me, is way overrated - I don't like getting dirty, ugly, fruit and veg - just because it is organic does not make it better, just more expensive - I especially do not like the attitude of the providers and peddlers of organics - they would like to make you feel like you are being virtuous and smug by buying their stuff - nonsense.

Pre-packed stuff definitely has it's place here, sometimes there is no time to make everything form scratch -

Fast food is an occasional treat -

As a chef, and I know that there are times when you just need to take a shortcut, open a box or get take away - or make dinner reservations!!

Last edited by gomez; April 3rd, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I buy both organic and store veggies and meat. I don't buy premade foods, try to make everything as much as I can. I find that i spend most of my grocery shopping time reading labels and trying to determine how good it is for me. one thing i did do was buy a costco membershipand bought a boatload of meats, re packaged thema nd now i have a freezer full of meat. And truthfully it's the best meat I've ever bought, better than any grocery store stuff.
I've went on a health kick lately, eating lots of wheat germ and flax seed, keepin' regular

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Boss-lady!

I was on a real health kick, making almost everything from scratch, cutting way back on refined sugars and processed flours in stuff, but we haven't been doing so well lately.

I still sneak extra veggies in everywhere I can, though. And the slowcooker rocks for tasty food, cheap and easy-low on the processing.

I'm the only one who will eat multi-grain bread and stuff and we have only the fridge top freezer right now, so I can't get through a loaf of bread fast enough by myself. I've had to give in on the white bread issue.

We'd prefer to someday have a farm and raise/grow most of our own food. Someday.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM

My town has a farmer's market in the summer and fall where local farmers sell their produce, a lot of it organic. I just adore the farmer's market! Plus there are always a couple of dogs hanging out there helping sell stuff. A dog is a great salesperson!

I am a vegan, so I do eat a lot of veggies when I can. When I shop at the supermarket, I try to buy organic if I have the money. For a while, I had a list of which fruits/veggies had the highest levels of pesticides used on them and I would buy them organic and everything else would be conventional. I also will buy produce that is grown locally over produce that is shipped from who knows where.

I go to the health food store (whole foods) every 2-3 weeks, they have a great selection but are so insanely expensive, I only buy things there that I can't find anywhere else.