Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM

CRF kitty constipation

Nanuk is 16 yrs old. He was diagnosed with CRF 3 years ago. He has done amazingly well (especially compared to Oracle, my other CRF kitty who passed away 3 yrs ago Oracle was a rollercoaster of ups and downs, and on sub-Q fluids frequently).

Nanuk has never been on sub-Q fluids. He gets lactulose daily (2ml twice a day), and Fortekor once a day (which he's been on since he was first diagnosed).

Nanuk's main issue is constipation. He drinks copious amounts of water throughout the day and urinates large amounts. But we still have to make an urgent vet visit once every few months to have a hard-poop blockage removed. Other than that his health is fine - he's an indoor cat (he's been almost-blind his whole life, but sees well enough to get around).

What else can I do to keep his bowels functioning? I have started using a bit of canned pumpkin puree in his food (he loves it! ), but how much should I be using? Are there any other cat foods out there that are good for constipation? Any other stool softening ideas?