Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:15 AM

Good Boarding Kennl in Ottawa area

Good Morning:

We have a 6 year old Bernese Mountain dog (Clifford). For the 1st time since him coming in to the family, we're looking at a family vacation where he can't come with us. Can anyone recommend any good boarding kennels in the Ottawa area? This would be for 5 days (10 June-14 June), if that matters.

Thanks,
Andy Schan
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
banned user

Bekkers at Stittsville

This kennel is recommended by my friend, I have not personal experience with them. My friend would drive all the way from Gatineau to have her boxer boarded at this kennel, she highly recommends this.
http://www.bekkerspetcare.com/
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to live in Ottawa, but now Toronto. Unfortunately I do not know of any kennels in the area. But I also had to board a dog for the first time in 30 years of marriage. I found Bed and Breakfast type of accommodation through my vet and my dog's groomer (I know have a long haired dog - can't believe it - who actually likes to "help" clean the Mountain Bernese Dog who gets groomed at same place). If you do send your dog out to be groomed and he is a couch potato type of dog (i.e. sleeps in the bed, watches TV on the couch etc.) he might be happier in such an environment. My dog really likes the lady who takes care of him and she has also worked at my vet's and as a part time groomer so is well experienced with animals - and he loves her. I did look at the suggested kennel website and it does indeed look like a safe and nice facility. It would all really depend on your dog and his needs. Bread and Breakfast facilities do cost more though. Usually $40 - $45 a night which includes long walks. Just a thought.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

willing to drive?

If you are willing to drive then I can suggest in home care. Berners are pretty sensitive to change and love to be with the family so depression is quick to set in. We have a rescue here that I almost lost due to depression. She was stuck in a facility by her previous family and was so depressed that she stopped eating. Pm me if you would like in home care. You would need to travel to the west Island of Montreal. About a 1 - 1.5 hour drive but he would be well cared for.

On a side note about kennels... I would not board my dog somewhere if they did not require Leptospirosis to be a vaccination requirement. Dogs peeing through bars mean transmission of disease. Dogs can be carriers without ever exhibiting symptoms.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM

We have a kennel about halfway between Ottawa and Montreal,in Hawkesbury.We take a maximum of ten dogs.All dogs are walked four times daily as well as having access to individual covered outside runs.Inside they have a four by eight run,all runs have solid dividers so nobody is peed on.All dogs must be vacc and we require proof.We are recommended by vets in this area as well as Mtl.If you are interested let me know and I can send you info,you are also welcome to visit.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. The in-home care is an interesting idea; we're definitely going to look into that- thanks! We're also going to talk to our vet to see what he recommends. Not being able to take Clifford with us is the one dark spot in this vacation (we're taking the kids to Orlando).

Lise, nymph: if we do go the kennel route, we'll definitely investigate your recommendations as well.

Thanks,
Andy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM
banned user

No problem Andy. There is also the Bone Voyage, which is a temp foster care service provider, i.e. you'd place your dog with another family for a fee, but I have no personal experience with it.

Last edited by nymph; May 2nd, 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM

This was sent to me by a friend:

Oak Meadows Pet Resort Ltd. , 1848 Upper Dwyer Hill Rd., Carp, Ont. 613-256-0500
Excellent Boarding Kennel: http://www.matthewskennels.com -- recent experience by co-worker with special needs dog was very positive -- she highly recommends this kennel

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks again, everyone. Would anyone else happen to have any experience with "Bone Voyage"?

Andy
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Wizard of Paws

Doggie Daycare / Inn on Bank St in Ottawa

http://www.wizardofpawz.com/wizardofpawz/pawzInn.php
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Kennel in Masson Quebec

I haved used this kennel in the past and know that the person who owns the kennel walks the dogs quite often as well as lets them out during the day in the dog runs. It is in a country setting just off Highway 50 at the des Laurentides exit. It is called L'Auberge K-Nine Inn Le Yapeux and their phone number is: 819-281-2220. The owner, Leslie Whan, has many certificates for dog training, etc.

I realize you were looking for Ottawa but it really isn't all that far away.

Good luck,

Jo

Mary Engelbreit
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM

Ottawa area kennel

I use Canine College Club in Manotick (near Ottawa). My dog has been going there for over three years and she seems to love it. They do not cage the dogs, it's a free roam facility. Only social, well behaved dogs are welcome. It's a really nice place to send your dog if you don't use a kennel at home. I have included a link to their website.
www.caninecollegeclub.com
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Kennel Cough

DO NOT GO TO {edited}

My dogs went to {edited} for a week while we were on our honeymoon. Linda was extemely rude on arrival, however the dogs had a great time. But when they came back one of our dogs was coughing violently. When we contacted them to ask if they knew of any situation they first told us about a dog that failed to get proper vaccination, then blamed us for bringing it into the kennel. They would not accept responsibility for the disease spreading and yet offered us money. They failed to quarintine the other dog and allowed it to continue playing with our dogs. Even though our dogs had been previously vaccinated in the alloted time before the exposure they contracted the disease and we now have to deal with the consequences. The owners were extremely rude and I will never go back. Nor will I ever recommend a kennel that fails to keep their pets in a safe environment, or to properly disclose issues that occur while your pets are there.

Last edited by marko; January 9th, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Edited by admin
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Kennel cough is a risk ..daily. The dogs can pick it up easily through other dogs in any surrounding.
The intra nasal bordetella should be given at least 72 hours before exposing the dog anywhere. Even at that there is no guarantee.
I don't know this boarding kennel but I know quite a few who all say the risk is there regardless.
Just a fact of life really.
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs at Camp. Wonderful facility. www.dogsatcamp.com
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Visiting Bekkers

I will be visiting Bekkers this weekend as a possible place to kennel Oreo and Darwin. We are going to Hawaii in April for 2 weeks and I've never kenneled them for this long and am nervous. Usually friends have kept them but their dog is elderly and not doing well.
What sort of questions and things should I ask or look out for?

Thanks everyone and if anyone has had any experiences with Bekkers I would be happy to receive feedback.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead153 View Post
I will be visiting Bekkers this weekend as a possible place to kennel Oreo and Darwin. We are going to Hawaii in April for 2 weeks and I've never kenneled them for this long and am nervous. Usually friends have kept them but their dog is elderly and not doing well.
What sort of questions and things should I ask or look out for?

Thanks everyone and if anyone has had any experiences with Bekkers I would be happy to receive feedback.
Hi,

Any feedback on Bekkers??

Thanks.