Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Owned by goldens

Rodent poison responsible for Menufoods recall

http://www.columbian.com/news/APStor...news118491.cfm
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

Another article was posted here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38148
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Formerly hgd24

Rodent poison responsible for Menufoods recall - Pet Food Recall - UPDATE

The link below takes you to a story at cnn.com stating that there will be a press conference later today announcing that rat poison was found in the food! Those poor animals and their owners. My heart goes out to them...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/23/pet....ap/index.html
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Live well, laugh often

I am watching the CNN news conference and bawling as I watch the pictures of all the animals at the vets :sad: :sad: .
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM

I don't have CNN!! :sad: I saw the beginning of the news conference though. Just devastating. How could they not tell the lab that a recall was imminent and that this was a priority issue? :sad:
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
-

Hopefully, now that the vets know the cause, they will be able to help the pets better.

What also ticks me off is the fact that Menu Foods is importing wheat from China.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:42 PM

They're not sure it's the only cause, or that it was really in the wheat though. That's just speculation... They're sending samples of the ingredients to the lab... It could have been anything in the food, but I guess since others aren't affected and they don't have wheat, 1+1...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM

Pet Food Recall

I'm not sure but CNN later seemed to say that it was in the wheat gluten. I think we just need to keep watching the news conferences today. Another one will be coming at 4:00 Eastern time.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
-

I am also just so ticked that they always release important information on a Friday. I bet they knew this earlier this week.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

Pet Food Recall

I can't believe that some of our pets have been eating POISON since December!!! How can that happen? It really ticks me off that the news has been telling people not to make homemade food for our pets because they won't be getting the nutrients that they need. Animals used to eat just meat in the wild. Come on, this is rediculous! The pet food companies want us to be at their mercy! Sorry, I needed to vent
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM

I just heard that Menufoods is having a news conference in 45 minutes. They also have confirmed that it WAS in the wheat gluten that came from China.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM

So, is getting wheat from China cheaper? I don't understand why they would use a supplier from China when so much wheat is grown in the States and Canada. China also has a lot of questionable practices regarding animals and pets.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

After watching their press conference, clearly this company should be put out of business, in my opinion. They have admitted to it coming out of their plants and have admitted that they still don't know which ingredient is involved (Wheat gluten I believe, is still involved) but yet they are continuing to produce food. They claim these foods are being taste-tested before going out. If all they claim is true, how can we trust the food that is still being manufactured???? Their explainations are not good enough!!!! Shame on them!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:24 PM

The press conference on now is really good... The reporters are asking amazing questions, even if the big heads aren't giving them good answers...

The saddest is they expect their customers to be loyal even though their animals have died..:sad:
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM

Oh and a telling statement was when they were asked if they admit to any negligence and they said no...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Oh and a telling statement was when they were asked if they admit to any negligence and they said no...
I just shook my head at that one. I was surprised with the Menu guy who did most of the talking. He looked like a regular guy - I think I was expecting the or something.

It also creeps me out that they still can't identify where the ingredient came from. They never mentioned wheat from China.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM

Angry

I just heard about this now!! Stupid work

This is all crap. Get rid of them. I hope that people wake up and smell the dog food. Pet owners must not stand for this blatant disregard of life any longer.

I feel so helpless and angry. Still. Can we start a petition or something?? How do we get these companies to change??
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM

All that came out today was that they tested samples of the food that they got from the food trials (where 8 beasties died) and found this rodenticide. But they are not sure what the concentration of this poison is in the food yet and they don't know if this is what caused the kidney failures. Because they tested food samples, they aren't sure which specific ingredient was contaminated. All they know is the poison was found in the food and it's not supposed to be there.

They are now going to test for the concentration of the poison, and then they are going to test each ingredient individually.

That about sums it up.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
They are now going to test for the concentration of the poison, and then they are going to test each ingredient individually.

That about sums it up.
you'd figure they would have already been doing this all this week

what is next? a weekend break? "sorry Menu foods is not open on weekends so we're not going to do any testing till monday."

wouldn't be surprised
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM

My point exactly Prin....why are they still manufacturing food when they don't know which ingredient has the poison? I can't picture them testing each little packet or can, how do we know they won't miss something? How can they ever expect us to trust them again? I doubt it was deliberate but I do think they were negligent. Why are they buying raw ingredients from another country that doesn't follow our standards???? That was the only thing they actually admitted to.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM

Even that- that the wheat came from China- I'm not sure they admitted to that or misunderstood the question. At first they had just heard the "contaminated wheat" part, and the reporter said "from China" but the mic wasn't on her still, so who knows if he really heard that.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM

Yes, I noticed that also but I heard her again say "from China" and he said yes. Whatever the case, it will all unfold in the months to come. Someone asked about their customers. I don't think they were referring to us, the consumers. I believe they were talking about; Eukanuba, Iams...etc when they were referring to their "loyal customers". But time will tell, when these companies start loosing their customers (us), I'm sure they will rethink that loyalty. I, for one, will never buy any of their food again.