Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 11th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Weird "Episodes"

I have a vet appointment for Keely tomorrow, but I figured I would post about this in the meantime. I'm a little concerned.

First when we got Keely, she would do this weird thing sometimes where it was almost like her front paw/arm got stuck behind her head. It didn't seem like anything really, except that she couldn't get up. In a few seconds, she would be fine again - but perhaps a bit more wobbly than usual. We assumed it was just part of her learning to walk, controling her legs, arms, and whatever. She was very young when we got her, as I'm sure some of you know already. Just shy of six weeks.

It seemed that, within a few days, she had pretty much "grown" out of this. Although I did notice it happen a few times - once when Connor (my other dog) gave her a good warning bark & once when I switched on the TV and it was really loud for some reason. So then I was thinking she did it when she got scared or startled. I mean, it's kind of like she's hiding her head under her paws and then one gets stuck.

Yesterday, she did a poop on her puppy pad. Then backed up a little. I think maybe her bum hit her food dish, but can't be sure. I was watching her when it happened. She had one of these little "episodes" again.

It literally lasts less than 30 seconds, then afterwards she is fine. Though it does seem like it shakes her up a bit. Yesterday when it happened, I immediately got a treat and put it near her. She seemed to sniff at it, despite the episode, so I am hesitant to think it's a seizure. Though, of course, that's what I'm worried about.

I am bringing her to the vet tomorrow. I tried to get an appointment for today, but they couldn't fit me in. Any ideas?

She seems perfectly healthy & happy otherwise. Eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing like normal.
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a weird one, Serena. Not sure I'm picturing exactly what's happening... What you might want to do is see if you can catch it on video--even if it means camping out next to her with the camera . The chances of Keely doing it while at the vet are probably pretty slim so having a video might be very helpful.

Good luck at the vet tomorrow! And as long as otherwise she seems pretty much normal, try not to worry too much

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM

It's hard to describe. The best way I can is that she hides her head under her paws and then one gets stuck there. Like she can't get it back down or something. Eventually she gets it down and then she is shakey, like if she's scared. Maybe that's in fact what's happening, I don't know!

I have had the plan to videotape it since I've started to get concerned - but it hasn't happened. I'm happy that she hasn't had it happen again, but I know how great it would be to have it on video for the vet. So it's a good thing and a bad thing! Hahah.

I'm trying not to worry. Vet appointment at 2:00
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did the vet address her 'stuck paw' episodes, Serena?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Yes - we talked about it

He says it doesn't sound like seizures or anything serious. More likely that it's an orthopedic problem - something that is common in very young puppies, apparently.

He thinks that maybe when she gets scared and put her paws over her head, one actually does get stuck. Maybe her shoulder joint pops out or the elbow gets stuck or something similar.

He said to keep an eye on it and if she doesn't grow out of it - then we may have some cause for worry. But right now, it doesn't sound like anything serious.

I'm relieved!
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post

He thinks that maybe when she gets scared and put her paws over her head, one actually does get stuck. Maybe her shoulder joint pops out or the elbow gets stuck or something similar.
I thought about you yesterday evening. Nelly did the same thing , she fell asleep this way , as I got up to take a picture (to post it here and show you) she woke up and changed position.