Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:25 PM

Vet says "not mange" but we have scabies!

We moved to a farm last summer. Since that time our two Newfoundland dogs (one is 6 years old, one is a 10 month old puppy) started itching. They are both on the BARF diet and healthy otherwise.

They have been treated by the vet with Advantage and Revolution. Still, they itch. The itching isn't incessant so the vet believes that this rules out mange. The issue is that our children and I are covered in scabies. It's been two months now and I'm going bananas! Regardless of my daily schedule of washing all of our bed sheets, scouring the floors and sofas, the scabies remain and itch, and itch, and itch... Unfortunately, I have a strong histamine response to bugs so I have been quite swollen and I'm starting to feel a little defeated in this battle.

I just brought the young dog into the vet's again about two weeks ago. The vet said that if it was mange, it would be presenting very differently (crazy scratching, lesions etc.). He has no lesions and his scratching is not constant by any stretch. I have spent a fortune on Revolution. They are getting it every two weeks, but it's not helping. Our scabies remain and the dogs itch.

I'm wondering if it's possible for mange to present in milder forms? They are healthy dogs in every other way. Could it be some other type of mite that's less well known? I'm feeling a little emotional about this. Our dogs are indoor/family dogs and we've had them outside while we battle this. Still, with these cold temperatures, we bring them in at night (I know, it's not helping, but I keep hoping something magical will happen with the spot treatment).

In case anyone is wondering, yes, it's been confirmed by a medical doctore that we have scabies (or, like I said, some weird skin rash from another type of mite that looks identical to scabies).

Thank you so much for reading this. I would be so appreciative to receive any suggestions.