Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Strange behavior in my 1 1/2 year old German Sheperd

My dog chief is a German Shepaerd. Recently he started to act strangely. He started going on my couches (which he never did before), shaking, panting , and won't eat or drink anything. He seems aware but almost like he is scared. I took him to the vet and after some very expensive blood work they found nothing wrong. i thought it might be an allergy to some dry food so I stopped that and after a few days he seemed ok but today he strted going on my couches again and shaking a little. i took him outside on his leash for a walk but he wanted to go in the car and was acting erratic. The vet thinks it is seizures but not all his symptoms act like seizures. I am completely baffled. Any ideas?
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Geek Club CEO

Sorry you're having trouble with your pup, we have a young GSD too. What happens/what has your dog been doing immediately before these episodes with the couch?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Today when the strange behavior started we had just come back from our walk. I noticed his stools were very soft, diarreah, iguess, and then I noticed he sat next to my husband and then proceeded to go on the couch. I also noticed he was shaking. Today the shaking and tail between the legs lasted almost all day. The strange thing is, he responds to me. If I tell him to sit he does and if I ask him to give me his paw, he does. The only other thing with the shaking is restlessness and he won't eat or drink water. If it was a seizure, would he respond to me? He doesn't do any other thing like snap at imaginary flies. I'm wondering could it be something he eats outside, like mint?
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:40 PM

It sounds to me like the food you are feeding him. There have been many problems with a lot of pet food ingredients over the past few years. I suggest you try him on raw food. This means you are in control of the ingredients, rather than trusting the manufacturer. Raw meat and bones just on their own, without supplements (which I do recommend) will give your dog a far healthier diet than most dogs have. Its cheaper, too!