Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM

Bad Dash!

Hi all

This summer I was fortunately able to take a few months off between school and work and I was able to spend lots of time with Dash. I love being with him and not having to leave him home. However, we are not discovering a new problem. Dash is potty trained fully now and always does his business outside. But since Kyle and I both started school again, he is having trouble with it. He always seems to urinante on the carpet now. We can be gone for 6 hours, or only 1. And we of course take him out before we leave. I found that the pees are very tiny and I am wondering if this is just an anger/anxiety related issuse? Perhaps he's upset that we're leaving. The pees are so small that sometimes I think he doesn't have to go he just does cause he's pissed haha.

Any similar stories? He's always been great with this and we now have carpet everywhere so I'm worried its going to start staining! Any ideas on how to stop this? I get very angry with him every time he does it but it doesn't seem to be registering!

But how can you stay mad at this face?!
Attached Images

Old October 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Nice to have you back! he is so cute!!!

I am wondering if he could be marking? you have another new dog right? or maybe there is a urinary issue?

Love the picture!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Thanks Winston!

No we do not have another dog and I thought that marking was only for un-neutered dogs? I just want it to stop! haha
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It could be a UTI, too. Typically, a dog with a UTI will pee more frequently but less volume each time. Has he had a recent uninalysis?

Dash is sure a cutie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Ma to Lyra and Loulou

What a cutie pie!
You might just need to reinstate crate training. Sometimes when there are shifts in routine they kinda forget their training.

It wouldn't hurt to have the vet check him to make sure it's not a medical issue.
Old October 20th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Live well, laugh often

Dogs don't do stuff in anger. That emotion is reserved for us stupid humans and often if we use it towards our dogs it just scares them and makes them cautious of our strange behaviour. If you get angry every time you come home and see a pee mark then that will just make your pup not trust you and begin to fear your return which then perpetuates the stress of being left alone. The dog is also not going to associate something it did while you were away with your reaction when you get home. You might think the are acting like the "know better" but they are really just reacting to you being angry.

I would definately have a vet check to see if there are any medical issues.

I would also go back to how you did potty training. Restrict his freedom and confine him to either a crate or a baby gated area when you are not home. Give him some yummy chew things when you leave so he associates it with good stuff. I stuff kongs with some frozen dog food or peanut butter etc and then freeze them so they take a long time to consume. You want to prevent this from becoming a habit so limiting the opportunity for the behaviour is your best tool. Peeing could be seperation anxiety or he might also pee if something scares him when you are not around. Is the peeing in the same sort of area? Could he be hearing something outside that scares him? Some dogs can't handle having freedom of a whole home because the feel they must protect it and that just stresses them out.