Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Clipping nails

If you cut the quick of a dogs nails, does it hurt? It doesn't seem like it hurts that much, but I'm just curious.

And also, is there any household product that you can put on the nail to stop it from bleeding, if the quick is cut?

And yes, I cut the quick by accident. First timer here. I know how to do it, but it's hard when half the nails are black and half are white. Luckily Levi still loves me. :love:
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM

Depends

I've had one vet tell me "yes it does hurt" and one that said that it doesn't. I'm more inclined to say that it does.....particularly since my dog flinched more than just a little when I accidently cut her's. You're not alone there. If you have cornstarch on-hand it works great to stem the bood flow.

Hope this helps.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Cutting a dog's nails doesn't hurt. Although you would never know with all the fuss and squirming that some do! It is like trimming your own nails. The only time it hurts your dog is when you cut real close to the quick or you cut the quick itself.

You can buy a product from the vet's office or from a pet store that stops the bleeding. There are two types, a powder and stick.

I've also heard that putting the bleeding nail on a bar of soap will stop the bleeding, but I think that may sting a bit.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Performance Spaniels

Cutting the quick does seem to hurt. My roomate's dad is a vet, and she said anytime he has cut too far, the dog has pretty much screamed and tried to claw their way elsewhere..

I heard cornstarch or flour in a pinch, but usually ppl get syptic powder to use specifically for stopping bleeding and such.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it hurts a cat and a bunny (They both yelped the one or two times I did it, sighhhhh!!). But if you are careful and watch the quick, you should be fine!!
Old May 14th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Senior Contributor

you can get something called Quik stop, its just a powder that clots the nail when its bleeding.

id imagine it does hurt whne you cut the nails too short.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Our vet told me that if I accidentally cut to the quick to dip in it ground cinnamon, like you would have in your spice cabinet and that would stop the bleeding.
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Growing up we lit a match, blew it out and waited for it too cool and put it on there. It's supposedly the same compound as in the stick kind at the vet, but I have to say, this method does hurt. So does cutting the nail, in my opinion. Wherever there are nerves, there can be pain...

Supposedly back in the day there was a powder for men who cut themselves shaving. I wonder if this would work too (or if it exists anymore...)

By the way, I know what you mean about the black nails... I have 34 of them to cut. Just cut the nail level with the pad when the toe is a little extended (not forcefully extended). I leave them a bit longer and cut them more often.
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

clippers with guard

Our dogs nail clippers have a guard on them so that you don't cut too short.

Here's a link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2001+113036

and a link for the quick stop powder:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...&N=2001+113036

Hope that helps!
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM

How often do you cut your dog's nails? Sophie gets hers done everytime she goes to the vet, which has been often, but she's done with her puppy shots now so I will have to start doing it myself. She just had them cut 2 wks ago and they need it again. I keep forgetting to get a pair of doggie clippers.
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks for your info everyone!

Dahlia - My vet told me that they need to be cut every 4-6 weeks, to keep the quick back (or up). My dog is two years old. It may be shorter for you, because puppies nails grow faster. That's about all I know.