Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM

New Foster Dog Poops in House

We just brought home our foster dog today. He is a 1.5year old poodle x named Yogi. He is really sweet and gentle and the kids like him. But he pooped in my hallway not half an hour after being out for a walk. He obviously has picked up some bad habits at the pound. What do I do?
Old February 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwind View Post
But he pooped in my hallway not half an hour after being out for a walk. He obviously has picked up some bad habits at the pound. What do I do?
It's not necessarily bad habits - dogs don't generalize well. Being housetrained in one place and then in a completely new place don't necessarily transfer over well.

You need to go back to basics, treat him like a puppy - praise for going outside, and not a big deal for going inside - just an interrupt and get him outside. Don't allow as much free roam (keep doors closed, etc) and keep an eye on him at all times until he can be trusted. Also, ensure you're cleaning up the messes with a good enzyme cleaner

Good luck!
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We just brought home our foster dog today. He is a 1.5year old poodle x named Yogi. He is really sweet and gentle and the kids like him. But he pooped in my hallway not half an hour after being out for a walk. He obviously has picked up some bad habits at the pound. What do I do?
do you know what breed your dog is mixed with , we would love to see some photos when you have the time to take some.
Old February 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Thanks. That's just what I've been doing . He is a poodle terrier x. Such a cutie boy! I do have pics, but not sure how to post from my phone. He came with the name Louis, but we are changing it to Yogi if we keep him. I think we will since even my 11 year old border collie x seems to like him
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks. That's just what I've been doing . He is a poodle terrier x. Such a cutie boy! I do have pics, but not sure how to post from my phone. He came with the name Louis, but we are changing it to Yogi if we keep him. I think we will since even my 11 year old border collie x seems to like him
I believe Marty is mini poodle terrier mix and I think he has attention deficit disorder. He can be getting ready to poop and if he hear or see anything he will have to check it out before he poop . He is afraid he might miss something. Marty name was Brad Pitt and there was no way I was going to keep that name.
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I believe Marty is mini poodle terrier mix and I think he has attention deficit disorder. He can be getting ready to poop and if he hear or see anything he will have to check it out before he poop . He is afraid he might miss something. Marty name was Brad Pitt and there was no way I was going to keep that name.

Yogi is like that too1. But still, he will poop in the house half an hour after pooping outside! And he only does it in the family room. And he is sneaky, sneaks into the family room when no ones looking and go. I try to.keep him out, but with 4 small.kids and another dog and 2 guinea pigs I can't be on him all the time. And he jumps over the baby gate and laundry baskets I block the room off with. I'm at a loss. I chose fostering first so we could try without commiting but We are becoming attached already. We need to fix this issue
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Can you put up a babygate to block off that room? Two if need by (in case he can jump over just 1)

Does he have a clean bill of health?

What is your reaction to him after you've seen him poop inside?
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yogi is like that too1. But still, he will poop in the house half an hour after pooping outside! And he only does it in the family room. And he is sneaky, sneaks into the family room when no ones looking and go. I try to.keep him out, but with 4 small.kids and another dog and 2 guinea pigs I can't be on him all the time. And he jumps over the baby gate and laundry baskets I block the room off with. I'm at a loss. I chose fostering first so we could try without commiting but We are becoming attached already. We need to fix this issue
You my need to let your dog stay out a little longer to poop . I am not sure if all poodles do or dogs this but my first poodle and Marty will poop then take another one about 10-20 minutes later during our walk. I had gotten wise to this and now hold onto my dog's poopy bag to pick up his second and sometime third poop. Poodles are very fussy dogs and some do not like to take two poops in the same spot . Try letting your dog stay out longer and see if he will take two poops if will also give your a little more time to get use to his new home. It a good idea to take a new dog for a walk around your street so he will know his way around encase he get outside by mistake and he will also be able to mark his territory. Marty did this when he first moved in with me. He marked off the yard right away.
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Pooping

My Rescue dog is 18 months old, we have had her for 6 weeks. She just seems to poop when she wants to, right next to me on the floor and today it was on the couch when my daughter came in from being out. Its very frustrating, otherwise she is so cute, she may not be that bright because it took us a month to get her to sit.
Old May 11th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkyandtony View Post
My Rescue dog is 18 months old, we have had her for 6 weeks. She just seems to poop when she wants to, right next to me on the floor and today it was on the couch when my daughter came in from being out. Its very frustrating, otherwise she is so cute, she may not be that bright because it took us a month to get her to sit.
It can take rescues up to 3 months (if not more) to settle into a new home and routine. Regression in housetraining is very normal which is why you just need to go back to basics with her

I'm guessing your puppers is very bright but isn't sure about her new surroundings yet - she'll catch onto training soon enough once she is more relaxed and settled.
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM

Wink

Thanks for that I do hope you are right. Its Mother's Day in South Africa today, my gift from her was a poop next to my bed