Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM

Male dog has discharge from penis - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

When Warden sat down this morning I saw a bit of a pale, creamy, pale(yellow/green) discharge at the end of his penis. Is he sick? Is this just something normal that I never noticed before?

Thanks for your opinion...

Dawn
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

As long as it doesn't have a foul odour and he is not licking it a lot, that is pretty normal.
Old April 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM

thank you for your help

much appreciated.

Dawn
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

No, he is not sick. The discharge is most likely smegma, a normal preputial dischage of mucoid glycoproteins and dead epithelial cells. Ask your vet for further details.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:29 PM

my female puppy has that green discharge too....is it also normal for a female? and she does lick herself...
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is your puppy? A green discharge, especially if it smells bad, could be infection.
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:24 PM

my puppy is almost 4 months....it doesn`t smell bad though...I checked when I got in from work, and she didn't have any...so....
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM

Someone please give me some advice

My female dog has a brownish discharge from her genitals and is continuously licking it...I do not smell a ordor but I haven't gotten close enough to get a whiff!! She just come out of being in heat!! She's been acting weird and seems sick!! What do you think's going on cause i'm worried this ain't like her??

Last edited by savannahoakes; December 3rd, 2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: I don't know
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM

She needs to see a vet. She could have pyometra (a severe uterine infection), which is life-threatening if untreated.
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM

My dog a Wheaten Terrier 5 yrs old just returned home from being boarded for 8 days. He was in a mix dog population for most of the day and in a crate for rest periods and night sleeping during the past 8 days. He has been home for 24 hours and I notice since he is home that he has been constantly licking his penis. It looks a little red and slightly swollen with a greenish yellow discharge.
I just returned home from the vet, who said he can not find anything wrong with my dog. My dog has never licked his penis that much or has had this discharge. The dog does not have a temperature. The vet said I should twice a day clean the area with hydrogen peroxide. I feel there is something wrong.
Any help with my dogs problem?
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM

how long

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
No, he is not sick. The discharge is most likely smegma, a normal preputial dischage of mucoid glycoproteins and dead epithelial cells. Ask your vet for further details.

Dr. Van Lienden

Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
my male 6 mnth old pup has th same pale discharge no smell he does lick their but not continuiosly and not often..doesnt seem to bother him how long will this lst?
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM

New behavior

My 9yr old dog used to lick his genital every now and then. Over the last few weeks he has been doing it much more. Is this an issue for a visit to the vet or is this just normal.
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Please help

my male dachsund is 6 years old. He has had stones removed surgically form the urethra 3 months ago. he has recently been in a fight with some dogs and he has acquired some wounds which have been treated. However, today i noticed a brownish dischrarge coming out involuntarily from his penis. Please help, any advise would be good
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM

My mini-schnauzer has brown discharge from his penis...is it serious?

My one year old mini-schnauzer began licking himself like crazy today. I found it odd since he's usually not much of a licker. After observing this for quite sometime this morning I shaved around his unit to see if there was any type of skin irritation...there wasn't anything noticeable to me. I smeared a thin layer of neosporin around the area and then put a doggie diaper on to discourage the licking. He seemed pretty sad all day (and I have not observed him going to the bathroom...nor has he asked to go out), but generally left the area alone. Then came dinner time and he couldn't stand it anymore. He was doing everything he could to get around that diaper and lick. So I took the diaper off to inspect and I noticed that there was some brownish/yellowish discharge in the diaper. He has not stopped licking since I took it off. I suspect I need to bring him in, but can someone offer advice on how serious this might be??? He's never had any health issues prior to this. Any advice would be greatly appreciate!
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM
WOOOOF!

I don't know if any of you had your questions answered by PM or anything, but all of you tottaly highjacked this persons thread. If anything BROWN is comming out of your dogs genitals ESPECIALY if its involuntarily comming out, I think you should be taking your dog to the vet. I'd be rushing mine.

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Of course...that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post

Dr. Van Lienden

Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490