Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 15th, 2008, 12:40 AM

2.5 yr old Male weeing in house

I know there is another thread similar to this, but it is an old thread and most of the people were talking about marking teritory etc.

My male dog is weeing in the house, but not everyday. I have 2 dogs, a Scotty cross and a Multese cross. The problem is that my wife and I are out of the house all day at work, and it seems as if the dogs do not drink ANY water during the day until we come home, it is like they are pinning for us. When we get home, they both drink a lot of water.

We have the door open all night until we go to bed, and they sleep inside on a blanket in the lounge, then sometimes when we wake up in the morning, we find wee and it is always right up against something, last night it was against a gas bottle.

We have noticed him once or twice, lifting his leg to mark his teritory and it is usually a small spray, but these that we are waking up to, are huge puddles and it is absolutly frustrating.

I have no problem in getting him fixed, if that is going to help, either its going to be that, or I might have to make him sleep outside at night.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you could withdraw their water after dinner, then take them out for a pee right before you turn in.
Neutering might help.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Hello there,
I have the same problem with my 6 year old Pomeranian, Nicky, whom I rescued. I've been working with him for 2 years and still can't get him to stop peeing/pooping in the apartment.

The few things that have helped are:
1.) A strict, regimented, scheduled meal time (no free access)
2.) Lots of exercise - outside time
3.) Crating
4.) Belly Band (doggy diaper)

You may have to start the dog all over at the "puppy stage". Since he's acting like a puppy and peeing in the house, you need to treat him like a puppy. Take him out to pee before you leave, put him in a crate in which he only has enough space to turn around in, and as soon as you get home, take him outside. It's not uncommon for a second dog in the household to start copying the bad behavior of the other dog so you need to nip this in the bud.

I'm also a bit concerned that you and your wife are "gone all day at work". Is it possible to have someone come over and let the dogs out for some romp/pee time? Sometimes marking is a sign of separation anxiety and the dog is trying to surround himself with his own scent for comfort. Is it possible to let him sleep in your bedroom on his own doggy bed or in a crate next to your bed? We let Nicky sleep in our room but we keep a doggy diaper (belly band) on him at night when we're sleeping and when we're gone.

My dog is so bad that we have had to put pillows in the crate to make his room smaller. He can lay down, but that's it. We cannot even allow him enough room to turn around in because he pees AND poops IN his crate! This is extremely frustrating for my partner and I and we have almost split up over Nicky's behavior...so try to hang in there and exhaust every effort.

Good Luck,
Mahealani

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999

Last edited by Mahealani770; May 22nd, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
-

I would start by getting him neutered and at that same time , vet could check for any health issue because it can just be it.

Also , go outside with them before bed time , don't come back in until you see him pee.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:59 AM

I rescued a 2 year old male Maltese. I never was able to housebreak him.

Here is what worked for me:

1. crate him at night

2. confine him in the kitchen when I was not home

3. belly bands at all times!

4. Long walk in the moring after work & a shorter one before I went to work at 10 pm.

I cannot recommend belly bands highly enough! I never could have kept that dog for 16 years without the belly bands.