Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 12th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up Cat Litter Discovery-Try it - it works

As you most know I am a proud owner of a multi cat household. My main concern is always keeping that litter 'stinky free' and I have tried so many products that eliminates odour. Even though I will clean 6 litter pans 2-3 times a day, if I am not there to pick up immediately, there is a slight odour until removed.

Soooo to make a long story short I went to buy some cat litter that I liked more than others. Problem was is that they were out. I was told that Feline Fresh would be excellent as it is a pine litter. He told me that it was not only eco friendly but also non toxic to the cats. He suggested that I buy regular litter and mix it 50/50 to start to see if I liked it. He also added that there is no odour except for the 'great outdoors'.

Well it's a total WINNER! Excellent cat litter combination. I am going to try and go only pine.

Thought I would share this with my fellow multi house cat people.

I give this a 10/10.
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Omg totally agreee *love* the stuff. My mom has a very sensitive nose and it's the only litter she doesn't complain about or tell me to go "check the litterboxes" cuz it stinks usually right after I changed it lol

i would just do a slow introduction to it, dont go cold turkey, b/c bunduk seems to have an aversion to the feeling of it. He doesnt always go in the box and he jumps out of there faster than you can imagine when he does lol. BUt i will gladly clean tootsie rolls off the tile as it's just that great of a litter (it's me against bunduk wonder who will win? )

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post

(it's me against bunduk Wonder who will win? )
BUNDUK!!!!! :d
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:59 AM
~Cat Servent~

I did try it, good litter...just too bad it really bothered my allergies (pine has always been a bad one for me)! So I had to go back to the swwheat....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Omg totally agreee *love* the stuff. My mom has a very sensitive nose and it's the only litter she doesn't complain about or tell me to go "check the litterboxes" cuz it stinks usually right after I changed it lol

i would just do a slow introduction to it, dont go cold turkey, b/c bunduk seems to have an aversion to the feeling of it. He doesnt always go in the box and he jumps out of there faster than you can imagine when he does lol. BUt i will gladly clean tootsie rolls off the tile as it's just that great of a litter (it's me against bunduk wonder who will win? )
Exactly what the guy told me. Mix it first and then graduate to only the ceder shavings.

I have to tell you, I was reluctant to try it but really had no choice. So glad I did as this is proving to be the best of the best. My dad who has a very sensitive nose couldn't smell a thing.

My next course of action is one box with only the shavings. I will monitor who is using it and not minding the change.
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Use it, love it
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

PlanetWise (makers of Feline Fresh) have a frequent buyer program, just in case you didn't know about it. Buy 6 bags, get the 7th bag free: http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/frequent.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
PlanetWise (makers of Feline Fresh) have a frequent buyer program, just in case you didn't know about it. Buy 6 bags, get the 7th bag free: http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/frequent.htm
I didn't know. Thanks sugarcatmom.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

SCM - Is that available in Canada too or only the States? I only saw State, Zip Code. Sometimes that means you can't get it here.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
SCM - Is that available in Canada too or only the States? I only saw State, Zip Code. Sometimes that means you can't get it here.
Available in both Canada and the U.S.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
(it's me against bunduk wonder who will win? )
Bunduk will

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Available in both Canada and the U.S.
Any particular store? Sounds interesting.

We've been having problems lately with odor having the 2 cats so we're looking to do a gradual switch. My SIL told us Arm & Hammer is really good but this one sounds interesting.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

KLM - I bought the litter from a specialty store that only sells holistic products. I did not see it in a regular pet store.

If you can get your hands on this product I recommend to mix with just regular cat litter without all kinds of smelly goods in it. Just go generic as it is cheaper and this product has it's own natural odour which will do the job.

If you get it let me know what you think.
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am pretty sure this is the one I've been using with Naddy and gang. If so it's available at Pet Valu. It holds the odour well but I find with 7 kitties using it it needs to be completely changed out every two or three weeks. If you are only using it for a couple it should be good for the month or so it says before completely changing it. Not like clay stuff which needs to be completely changed every week.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am pretty sure this is the one I've been using with Naddy and gang. If so it's available at Pet Valu. It holds the odour well but I find with 7 kitties using it it needs to be completely changed out every two or three weeks. If you are only using it for a couple it should be good for the month or so it says before completely changing it. Not like clay stuff which needs to be completely changed every week.
So far it's been 1.5 weeks and all is smelling A-ok. I cannot believe how great this is! I live in a 900 sq ft condo and trust me....when a cat does his/her business, it hits you right in the face. With this, I cannot even tell but I am consistant on keeping it clean 2-3 times a day.
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:27 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
So far it's been 1.5 weeks and all is smelling A-ok. I cannot believe how great this is! I live in a 900 sq ft condo and trust me....when a cat does his/her business, it hits you right in the face. With this, I cannot even tell but I am consistant on keeping it clean 2-3 times a day.
All of the boxes in this house are cleaned when I get up, before I go to work, when I get home, usually once or twice during the evening, then again before I go to bed. With 15 in the house at the moment it doesn't seem to matter how often I scoop. Some smell escapes to irritate hubby.

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
All of the boxes in this house are cleaned when I get up, before I go to work, when I get home, usually once or twice during the evening, then again before I go to bed. With 15 in the house at the moment it doesn't seem to matter how often I scoop. Some smell escapes to irritate hubby.
14+K - have you ever tried a cat litter called Euro Litter? It is a great cat litter as well. This one is alittle more costly but again worth it for those with sensitive noses.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:18 PM

My mother switched to pine litter some years ago.....my oldest cat won't use it at all, so I don't stess her out, and we stick with clay clumping litter.

Anyways, my mum likes it because it lasts forever, and it's compostable.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Willing cat servant

I just started trying it today.
I went to a pet store and O.O OMG Look! That Pine litter everyone's talking about.
Plus the one I was trying had always a faint smell even if i cleaned it everyday. Not like poo or pee exactly but something funny.

Well I put the pine litter in the box this afternoon. Baby Mulder already tried it (she's in the little box as I type I think haha) I think Scully won't have any problems accepting the new litter.

We'll see how it works from here...
For what I read chances are it will be way better
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Koteburo - let me know what you think. So far I am very happy with it. The litter remained smelly free for almost 2 weeks.. In the long run it is more economical and all my cats have accepted it without trouble.

I think this is a great product.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad you stumbled upon it...with 13 cats this summer; humid and hot summer in Montreal....it came in handy. I've always used it and my cats and my nose swear by it....
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

This thread started at just the right time. I had been noticing since we had closed the windows from summer that the downstairs boxes were becoming particularly offensive and the smell waifs up to the when you come in the front door

Was leery to initiate a litter switch since we have not had any litter box problems and did not want to court trouble. Anyways, when I went to Costco this week to buy their litter they did not have it (first time ever!) so when I went to Global to get their food this litter was there. I figured WTH as I really had no choice...I needed to buy litter.

I cleaned the boxes and did one half/half and left the other with the old litter to see if there would be any problems Not a one...both cats have kept up their regular routine and even with only half the boxes and house smell better and it says you can flush it too

Thanks for the great suggestion BM...I am pretty sure we are going to end up with this litter in all three boxes.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad you are satisfied with it diandpat. I was so thrilled about this discovery that I could not wait to share it with everyone. To my surprise more people have already known about it before...where the heck was I???

Anyways - I am glad that it is helping you out. That was the objective.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM

I actually heard of this litter brand from a friend before i came to this forum, glad that i can get a third/fourth opinion on the subject!

The best thing about this stuff is that you can flush it down the toilet (unless you are on a septic system!)

I've also heard good things about a 50/50 mix of world's best and nature's miracle. Apparently world's best clumps better and doesnt track as much but nature's miracle controls odor better.

Another mixy formula i heard about was 70/30 pillet based litter + crystal. Apparently the main concern about the crystal stuff is that some cats dun like the texture on their paws, but if they are already used to the pillet stuff then they'll be fine with the mix. Added crystal is just there to obsorb odor.
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM

I bought a small bag of the Scoopable Feline Fresh and mixed it 50/50 with our original litter, Max Scoop Clumping. I left the second litter box with just the Max Scoop Clumping in it.

So far they have taken to it well. They actually use the litter box with the 50/50 mix more than the original one.

The only thing I am finding is that with the mix of the two litters, when I scoop it, the clumps are not very well held together and the clumps usually end up falling apart into little pieces.

Does the Feline Fresh clump good when it is used by itself? Not sure why if they are both clumping they would fall apart like this.

I never have a problem with odour, I scoop once a day and the clumps from the Maxx Scoop were good. Kasey always pees in the middle of the box so his clumps are easy to get out but Roxie tends to pee against the side of the box and the clumps are usually down in the corners of the box and are like cement to get out

I wanted to try and switch to the Pine as it will be better for them. Kasey has to stick his head right down to the bottom of the box when he is digging in there and he has snuffed up litter a couple of times.
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Since we're on the topic of kitty litter, right now I'm trying the Arm and Hammer double duty, seems to work well but I'm kinda thinking of trying the silica stuff again. Nino's hair is looonnngg and he doesn't seem keen on using the BIG kitty box. So he's using the regular size boxes and he doesn't really fit for poops. I tried the silica when it first came out and didn't like the round little bead shape. Cats didn't seem to mind it. Then heard some not so good things about it so stopped using it. Anybody using it for their long haired cats?

I've tried Swheat scoop too and liked it except it stuck like cement to the box. My sister uses it for her cat and she gives the box a quick spray with cooking spray before filling the box. She's only got one kitty though.
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

2 successful weeks of mixing 50/50 I found this the most economical solution with fresh clean results at the same time. One bag of City Classics (large) and 1 bag of Feline Fresh (large) for 5 litter boxes cost me a total of approximately $27.98 (if memory serves me correctly). This is a total saving of approximately $4.00 per month. Not a huge savings, but a much better smelling environment. So that would be a total saving of $48.00 per year which = more cans of cat food.
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
This is a total saving of approximately $4.00 per month. Not a huge savings, but a much better smelling environment. So that would be a total saving of $48.00 per year which = more cans of cat food.
more cans of cat food = more cats

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.