Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM
petmaster
Othello Champion

Advice on Dog Breed

Hi All,

This is Dave... one of the owners of pets.ca. I don't often post on the forum, rather I am a more of the behind the scenes person.

After almost 1 year of grieving over the loss of Bailey (http://www.pets.ca/pet-photos/profile/?id=2) who passed away at the age of 15 years, my family and I are ready to begin the process of adding a new addition to our family.

I am asking for suggestions from you, our loyal members as to some advice regarding a possible breed. The dog would need to be family friendly (3 kids - 6 - 13 years), hypoallergetic (ironically, over the last seevral years I developed an allergy to dogs ) and about 35 - 60 lbs in size as an adult (we prefer a female dog).

So let the advice begin and I will update you as we continue our discussions within the household. Breads being discussed so far include a labradoodle or a portuguese water dog.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Doggie Wench

Did you know there isn't such a thing as hypoallergenic dogs ? For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breed

Your best bet would be to spend time with a particular dog to see if you react. In terms of family friendly dogs, are you looking to adopt a rescue? Foster homes where there are puppies or dogs living with young children would be able to tell you how they are with kids. But it would be up to you to teach your children to properly interact with a dog you aren't familiar with yet.
Old May 9th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Standard poodle...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Senior Contributor

a labradoodle is a great mutt! especially as you have an active 16 yr old, walks walks walks *L* if you get a pup, hopefully obedience classes will be in its future, and the whole family should attend. I train my dogs to put up with so much from children because of my daycare, so if you get a pup let us know and I'll tell you all I've done. good luck searching!!
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

hey dave!

I don't know too much about labradoodles but I know a bit about labradors and poodles.

I think both labradoodles and Poodles might be good choices for you. I'd suggest that a labradoodle may require more exercise so that would be something to keep in mind.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
hey dave!

I don't know too much about labradoodles but I know a bit about labradors and poodles.

I think both labradoodles and Poodles might be good choices for you. I'd suggest that a labradoodle may require more exercise so that would be something to keep in mind.
ah heck Marko, he has a 16 yr old *L* oh wait...pardon moi *L* I just remembered MY kids at 16.....l-a-z-y *L* how could I forget...

I hope you keep us updated on your search Dave
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

A labradoodle is not a breed. And if by hypoallergenic you are looking for non-shedding no doodle mix is going to guarantee you that, if you buy as a puppy. An adult might work if it had matured to be non-shedding.

Labs shed. Boy, do they shed.

Why not just a poodle?

Portuguese Waterdogs are nice and they don't have to have the bare backside clip if you don't want. We meet one sometimes on hikes. She is so nice but requires a lot, a LOT of exercise. I doubt my high energy Lab could keep up to her.

P.S. Non-shedding is likely to mean no hair floating around but trips to the groomer required, or learn to handle the coat yourself.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

hepafilter vacumes and air cleaners are wonderful for pet dander also, my aunt has two labradoodles, one sheds like our lab and is laidback, the other (littermate) looks more like a poodle and requires clipping, she still sheds a wee bit, but its the dander, so they are brushed outside daily.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are you allergic to the dander or the spittle, dave? Breed choice might differ depending on what exactly you're allergic to.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you be de-sensitised the way people are who are allergic to bees, or other things? That's sad, a dog lover who is allergic to dogs.