Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old April 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM

10 year old mistaken for a puppy (twice!)

So I had to share this story:

One of the best things about being a dog owner, and especially the owner of a dog as cute as Flappy, is walking with him every day and seeing how people react to him. Most smile. Lots of women go "awww". Every single day someone stops to ask me a question about him. And I love how simply, my dog walking down the street can brighten people's days.

Today my ten year old baby got mistaken for a puppy. Not once, but twice. I passed a girl on her cellphone:

"Yeah, and then he said... awww!" (breaks off and gazes adoringly at Flappy as he bounces past) "Oh, sorry, I just saw the cuuuutest puppy!"

I, naturally, puffed with pride. Ten years old and still youthful as ever, I thought. Two streets later, two women in business suits stopped me as we walked past.

"She's so cute! How old is she?"

"He's a he" I say, reaching down to tap his muzzle, "See the white? He's ten years old"

"Oh" they both laughed, "We thought he was a puppy! He's adorable!"

My dog- brightening the city person by person
Attached Images

Old April 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
-

I would make a mistake too , not the age , but the breed ! He's a cocker right ? But he looks so much like a golden ! Amazing ! I love those white faces
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:07 AM

He is pretty cute

My Dalmatian x Black Lab was often mistaken for a puppy as well, even with the grey showing on his black face. When he was around 8 years old I had one guy tell me I need to get him neutered, I had to laugh abit & then told him Cally was already neutered about 7.5 years prior

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 17th, 2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:56 AM
-

Flappy is in great shape for 10 yr. old and a very handsome boy too.
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Cockermother,that's soo sweet,LOVE his face
My walking companion Bailey is such a small Cocker,she too often is thought to be a puppy,
She was resently groomed and I noticed how lightcoloured she's getting,she's 7yrs old.
Here's a pic.
Attached Images

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM

My Eddie and Tonka (both American Cockers) get mistaken for puppies. Eddie (12 years old) doesn't have any grey and still is as jumpy as a puppy.

The American cockers are smaller so I think that's where people get confused. But who cares, they are still puppies in my eyes too.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
banned user

My moms dog is a cavalier king charles spaniel and she is 8 and is ALWAYS mistaken for a puppy. When i walk her with matrix(german shepherd) people ask me if i think its safe to walk such a big dog with a tiny puppy. We absolutely adore her!
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Mom of Cody and Nova

It's such a good feeling when people think your dog is much younger. That used to happen with my Border Collie/ Lab X. Everytime we'd go out anywhere, he was always so bouncy and happy that they thought he was still a pup when he was actually about 8 years old. Your Cocker looks great, such a sweet face
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't you feel great when that happens? My black Lab girl was one of the lucky ones who did not go grey. She also stayed slim and trim and energetic. Every year till she was 12 someone would ask her age and when I would say 9, 10. 11, 12 they thought I meant months. It didn't happen when she was 13 and 14. Possibly I delude myself by thinking when I said 13 that a 13 month old dog might not have looked that different from an adult of any age.
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Aww, he is really cute. He looks great for his age.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Professional Cat Cuddler

He does seem to have a very youthful appearance!

If I saw your pal walking down the street, I'd definitely react the same way as those people!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Professional Cat Cuddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Cockermother,that's soo sweet,LOVE his face
My walking companion Bailey is such a small Cocker,she too often is thought to be a puppy,
She was resently groomed and I noticed how lightcoloured she's getting,she's 7yrs old.
Here's a pic.

oh my gosh, Bailey does look very young!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams