Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old November 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Honest Contributor

Any akita lovers on this forum?

We live in Montreal and akitas are very few and far apart... no breeders around either, only stock from BYBs We drove 7 hours to get our boy from a fantastic breeder in Ontario. anyways, just wanted to know if there were any fellow keeters on this forum, always fun to chat!
Old December 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Akitas are great dogs! I help run Boxer Rescue Quebec, and my partners have 2 rescued Akitas from ARNY (http://akitarescuewny.com). They have pics on their website http://www.portovilladogs.com

BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old December 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My MIL had an akita (Keeta) RIP he was rescued frome someone who bought him from a petstore, he was wired very wrong!! He was great with family and loved kids, but had serious aggression issues to all others!! He is the first dog I ever met who would wag his tail, to get a person close enough so he could bite. Despite all his problems, we loved him just the same

My BIL has an Akita also (Chase) He got him forma breeder in Acton Ontario/ He is such a love bug!! he loves everyone, and has a great temperment!!

What I have noticed with both these Akitas, that I have never noticed with any other dog, is they pinch!! It's funny, and seems to happen when they get excited their teeth chatter, and they use their teeth to give you a little pinch! Do yours do this?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:31 PM
Honest Contributor

hmm no pinching here, LOL! we taught our boy to never use his mouth on humans except for kissies, and boy does he ever love to lick!

i'd be curious to see from which breeder you BIL got his keeter? we got ours from an excellent breeder near Toronto, drove 7 hours to get him and it was sooo worth it. i keep hearing these stories about akitas with nasty temperaments and these specimens give a bad rap to the lot of *good* ones out there...

they are such a majestic, impressive breed when bred correctly for conformation, size and temperament - i can't tell you how often we get stopped on the street by fascinated people wanting to know all about our boy!

here's a photo of our silly adolescent:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 1st, 2005, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

He is a BEAUTY!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Honest Contributor

awe thank you! he is really a big ham, sweet natured and always so happy. brings smiles to faces young and old alike.

if you find you from which breeder your BIL got his akita, i would be delighted to know. what if it was from the same breeder and our dogs are somehow related?

Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Chase is a sweet heart too:love: And even though he wasn't raised with kids (he is my BIL's kid ) He has been an Angel with my son since my son was born (Chase was about 5 when he was born) He did have to be taught not to steal my sons food even though my son was the perfect height for him to snatch it!!
One time, my son was licking a sucker, and Chase was sitting right across from him licking the other side, it was quite funny actually.

I know my BIL got him from a breeder in Acton Ontario, I think in either 1996 or 1997, But I will ask him the name of the breeder when I see him, and try to get some pictures. He is brindle (I guess) almost an orange colour with black stripes, the breeder called him Sabre, because he has the colouring of a tiger.

By the way your boy is stunning !! I love his colouring.

Last edited by happycats; December 2nd, 2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old December 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM

I'm not in Canada and I don't actually have an Akita right now but I love the breed. My step father actually used to show and breed them. They are his fav. breed by far, obviously. He never had any problems with aggression. Akitas are normally good with humans but really need to be socialized a lot with other dogs because they can have dog aggression. They were originally bred to dog fight in Japan. Sorry I get to learn a whole lot about Akitas, that's all my step father ever talks about. Heres a good site on their history if anyone is interested.
http://www.bulldoginformation.com/Akita-inu.html

I hope to own an Akita one day when I have a bigger home. And my mom and step dad are going to get an Akita in the future. My step dad just can't stand living without one.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Honest Contributor

why wait? LOL we live in a small appartment on the top floor of a building, no back yard, like most people in the city who have dogs we are just very committed to exercising our dog regularly... akitas are usually very quiet and laid back inside (certainly if you train them that way too), they don't require much exercise and are known to be non-barkers.

As long as you give your dog at least one session of park-time per day to run and play, and a couple of bathroom breaks/ walks in between, you'll be fine. we try to get to the countryside every couple of weekends for romps in the fields & woods, every dog should be so lucky, LOL!

Old December 5th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Rottie owner and lover

first puppy I ever rescued was a 4 week old keeter. Someone dumped him inbetween 2 doors of a cop shop. I had him for 4 weeks till I found the perfect home for him. His name was tonka. Man I loved that little pup.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Honest Contributor

4 weeks old?? WTF! some people treat animals worse than garbage... :sad: i'm so glad you were his angel and rescued him, poor little thing... have you kept in touch with the new owner? i am really trying to meet more akitas in montreal but have had little luck!

Old December 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM

What a beautiful dog you have Technodoll. Sorry, I must have missed his name.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old December 5th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Honest Contributor

dakotah sez thank you! he loves compliments, LOL

here he is with his very best friend Byron... both intact males btw

and trying to charm a lady friend, LOL!

Old December 5th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Meaghan Edwards

I don't own an Akita, but I love the breed and have a breed very similar to them -- a Shiba
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Honest Contributor

ah sheeeeebaaaa! LOL

they are cute all right! like a mini-akita... but they are very different in temperament and type, hmmm, yeah!

japan has so many cool breeds...

Old January 10th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My BIL told me he got Chase at Brookville kennels (in Brookville Ontario) , he doesn't think they are around anymore though. I have to get some pictures of Chase to post

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Honest Contributor

never heard of them.... there are only a small handful of akita breeders (well "good" ones) in Ontario so I'd love to know more about them. and see some photos of chase too, of course! dakotah sez arooooo!

Old January 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't think they are in the Akita breeding business anymore.

My BIL was hell bent on getting and Akita at that time, and Akita breeders were very hard to come by, Akita's were not very well known back then. Everyone always asked him what kind of dog Chase was.

My BIL wanted an Akita because my MIL had one "Keeta". Keeta was originally bought at a pet store by another distant family member, according to his papers, he was born in the United States. This distant family member thought he was such a CUTE puppy, looked just like a little bear! Well Keeta grew up, and the wife became very afraid of him, (he was very big) and tied him up in the back yard! My MIL felt so bad for him, that she talked the wife into letting her take him. Keeta had severe aggression problems (people and other dogs alike), and was the only dog I ever met who would wag his tail excitedly at strangers, just to get them close enough so he could bite them!
No matter how many times you would tell people HE BITES, they would still insist on petting him, and getting bit in the process

Keeta loved children, and would never ever show any aggression towards them
(MIL had 5 grand children at the time, and Keeta loved them all)
But boy, was that dog ever messed up.

Sorry for being so long winded. What I was trying to say, is I don't think my BIL (he was young and stupid at the time) Knew if the breeder was reputable or not.

Old February 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Please help me find a home for my Akita!!!

I have a beautiful 3 year old Akita, I love him dearly, but unfortunately, he can't stand staying alone.My schedule is not flexible at all, and the office hours are from 8 to 5.
I want my dog to be happy and live a good life, please help me find a family who's got more free time than we do.
If you have any question, please contact me!

Thank you so much!
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Honest Contributor

where are you located?

did you contact your breeder? most of them will rehome their dogs if it doesn't work out with the family. where did you purchase your akita? more details would be appreciated... name of dog, sex, spayed or neutered, crate trained? housebroken? issues with other dogs, cats, children? a photo, too. the more information you give, the easier it will be to find a new home for your keeter...

i can get you in touch with Akita rescues that can help you place your dog. they are wonderful.

Old February 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Many, many years ago I volunteered for an animal shelter in a small town in Idaho. One afternoon I went in to find a lovely fawn Akita in one of the runs and he was scheduled to be put down the next day.

He was a beautiful dog and very friendly, so I talked to the director about him. He had been in the shelter about a dozen times in two years. He had been beaten, shot at, killed a labrador (by all accounts of that incident - the lab was the aggressor and Kona tried to walk away several times before defending himself) and other thing to horrendous to mention. The staff loved him to death but was afraid that he couldn't take too much more bouncing from home to home without becoming mean.

He came home with me that night. The deal was that he was my dog but if anything ever happened and I couldn't keep him, I would have him put down.

He lived out his life with me and my girls. I still tear when I remember holding him in my arms when he was old and couldn't walk so well anymore and we decided that it was time to send him to the bridge.
Old February 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Hi there, I seem to have trouble replying to your message, do you get this?
Old February 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Home for Soh Dan

Hi again!
and thank you for your prompt response.I live in montreal too, on the plateau. My dod's name is Soh Dan he is 3, fixed, great with dogs, kids and cats. he is very well trained in terms of obedience.
the only big problem is that what we call separation anxiety: he can not stay alone for more than an hour without breaking everything around him.
we tried crates, cages, everything.we finally decided to move out, so that he could stay in the little backyard while we are out,and even got him a dog runner 3 times a week for an hour.unfortunately, even then,he stil has problems, and managed to escape 3 times(we ere lucky enough to find him at the SPCA).
It breaks my heart to have to give Soh Dan away, but he is obviously not happy with us,my job has rigid office hours...all that Soh Dan needs is human presence, that's all: he doesnt need much exercise,is a very calm dog, and can stay at home all day, just as long as he is with someone in the house.
please help me find him a family that will make him hapy, i wat him to have a good life
you can contact me on my email:***
thank you so much!
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; August 20th, 2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Sorry, no email addresses, please. People will respond within the thread.
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Arf! Arf!

They are beautiful dogs but the two that live by me both bloodied my malamute. They are the reason my dog turned grumpy. Took me 6 months to re-socialize him and make him a teddybear again.

The neighbour's akita does the same thing where it will seem happy and wag his tail until you are close enough for him to attack you. Very strange.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Honest Contributor

rim & val,

we've met before... i'm the girl with the big white akita that lives in your neighborhood le monde est petit! let me email you privately and I'll make sure my akita contacts help rehome your beautiful boy.

Old February 18th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Contributor

My brother got his Akita-X through an Akita rescue in San Jose. Sage is one of the best, well-mannered, loyal dogs I know. Akitas are not the easiest dogs to train as they are very headstrong and like to have their own way. They take a very dedicated owner who will devote the love, time, and training they require. The results are truly outstanding! The rescue does an excellent job screening who gets these special dogs.
Old February 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM

Yes we know Dakota!!!!

Hi!!!!!
Yes, we did meet before, and we go to the same vet (clinique st-louis)!!!
Dakota is gorgeous!
Do you want to meet sometime this afternoon with our dogs, let's say at Jeanne-Mance park?

you can email me in my private email address.
thank you so much for your help!
Attached Images

Old March 9th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Still want to meet?

Hi Anick!Do you still want to meet with the dogs some time?
Also, do you know anyone at the Akita Rescue Club? We still haven't found the right family for Soh Dan, maybe they could help us with that.

Thx a lot!
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:48 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Another Akita Lover

I adore Akita's! The first dog I owned after moving out on my own was an Akita. I actually got her from my parents who had rescued her while i still lived at home. They started having children and could give her the attention she needed so I got her. I might but able to get a pic of her on here.

I now own a male Malamute/Akita Cross. He is a great dog and what a talker!!! No word of a lie her can say "MOM", clear as day. I am just waiting to purchase a house with a nice big fenced in yard so that I can get another purebred female.

Nevada
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Honest Contributor

hey we live in a small city appartment with TWO purebreds, male + female, unfortunately no back yard yet but someday... in the meantime they get alot of walks, park time, lake swims, hikes in the country, romps in the forests... they be spoiled! can't wait to see photos! here are my two, Dakotah on the left (2.5 years old) and Maika on the right (10 months old).