Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Designated Washroom Area?

The boys have made a real mess out of our lawn (or what's left of it). In the interest of allowing it to rejuvinate, I would like to train to boys to use a designated area of the yard to go pee (outside of walk times) where I don't care how dead the grass gets but allows us to enjoy the rest of the yard/lawn. I'm wondering what the best way to go about training them to do this is?

As an aside, I will not use any of those products that you are supposed to put in their water to stop their urine from burning the grass. They seem like a great way to bring on UT problems.

TIA.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I had a friend who's girlfriend moved in and her Golden Retreiver was making a mess of the yard so she taught him to pee in one spot. It is totally possible.
Not sure how she did, but I am sure someone here knows how!

I considered it as our beagle is killing my newly planted trees but he has marking tendencies from being neutered so late in life so I figured it wouldn't work.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM
-

Our grass doesn't turn brown from dog pee but I sure would like them to poop in one area so I don't have to walk back and forth hunting for them.

And, I would love to be able to stop them from digging....my back yard looks like a mine field.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

How about filling one corner of your yard with sand,it worked for one of my friends,the dog loves digging in it.
Mind you,he would also find some"treats"kitties had left behind.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Mind you,he would also find some"treats"kitties had left behind.
Ha! Thats my biggest issue! Those "treats" are very tempting to our beagle Charlie to roll around in! Yuk! That guy gets more bathes lately then I can count!
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM

My sister has her dogs trained to use one part of the yard. She said that all she did was follow them around and when they pooped she picked it up with a shovel and put it where she wanted them to go. After a while they knew to go in the designated area. It never worked for me but I keep trying.

Spelling is an option
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
-

Quote:
How about filling one corner of your yard with sand,it worked for one of my friends,the dog loves digging in it.
Chico, was your answer for me as a solution for digging or for BernerLver for a place for her dog to go pee?
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Basically you apply the same method as with house training , take them out on leash where you want them to go , correct if they go elsewhere and take them immediately to the some you ewant them to go and praise or reward when the do go in the right spot and when they are going use a command, go pee, potty or poop, this allows you to take your dogs to go out other places away from home and potty where you want them to go.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:01 PM

They have those things too that are like big tent pegs that release pheromones and are supposed to attract the pee-ers and poopers... I don't know if they work, but they exist...
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm a little uncomfortable with correcting a dog for doing it's business outside which is where you want him to do it. I would be worried that this would make the dog, particuliarly as they are Berners, nervous about making an error and then not doing anything outside. But that's JMHO. I vote for the pee stick idea and the poop collecting in one spot area.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Performance Spaniels

I agree with BMD. My roomate taught Cider to use a litterbox.. She used to hang her bum out of the box and poop.. and kept getting corrected on where to put her body instead.. Turned into drama where she was pooping in hidden spots because we kept trying to correct her habits.

Not saying don't try it, just becareful you don't help make the poopie place an even less desierable one than they currently use. Poop behind the couch is beyond uncool. lol.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am going to start taking the boys on leash to the area of the yard I would prefer them to eliminate. Hopefully with rewards and repitition they will catch on.

Jenn: Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not overly concerned if they go outside the preferred area where I feel correction is necessary. The boys are really smart and creatures of habit as it is so I'm sure repetition and rewards will more than suffice in helping rejuvinate the lawn