Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old January 26th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Question to Rescues and Foster Homes.....

I am new to this board and I have a question for the foster homes out there.

Firstly, I will tell you a little about me. I have been fostering for 6 years for the SPCA. I love doing it, and it has been the most rewarding 6 years of my life.

With the SPCA, all medical treatment is paid for and food too, if you want to feed their brands. Personally, I like a higher quaility of dog food, so I buy my fosters Nutro Natural Choice out of my own pocket.

I recently offered to foster for a rescue group that is in dire need of foster homes. They did the home visit and were thrilled. They want me to start right away and take in 2 dogs that need a lot of medical attention.

Other foster homes for this particular rescue have emailed me and said they are not very happy, as they have $600.00 + vet bills that they paid for out of their pockets, and have not been re-imbursed. The rescue owner's are telling them it could take up to 8 weeks to be re-imbursed, or longer if the funds are not there. However, the rescue owners are taking in more dogs, and the expenses are piling up.

My question to other rescue groups and foster Mom's and Dad's on here is this......do your foster homes pay for the vetting out of their own pockets, and how long do you expect the foster homes to wait to be re-imbursed?

All replies are welcomed, and all view points are welcomed on this question.

Thanks

Kintail
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome to the board! Sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Your question:
Quote:
do your foster homes pay for the vetting out of their own pockets,
The answer: NO. NEVER.

Our animals don't even go to a foster home until they have been spayed/neutered, vetted and treated for any illness, injury or parasite they may have.

If the animal again needs a vet visit while in the foster home, the appointment is arranged and paid for by Lucky Rescue, and the foster is asked only to take the animal for the visit. Period.

It sounds like this rescue you are dealing with could be in way over their heads, and are taking animals when they cannot afford to.
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Lucky. But I will say I fostered for a Mastiff rescue in the states and the dog was here in Ontario and needed medical attention so they gave me the option of waiting for them to send me a cheque or if I wanted to pay out of my pocket. The dog could not wait plus I knew my bank would hold a cheque from the US way to long. I told them to send the cheque by UPS. I paid out of my pocket this boy could not wait and the next day she sent me a bank draft, she realized they would hold the cheque for too long as well. I also recieved another draft the next day for $500 to use for food and anything else that he required and just kept all reciepts for them to send back. Under normal conditions you never are out of pocket well unless you buy treats and stuff to spoil them a little. They sound over the limit for funds and animals
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi there,

The rescue I foster for is great. She pays the vet bills. I pay the vet bill when I go and then in a few days there is a cheque in the mail, if it is a very large bill my vet will fax it to her and she will pay them direct. When my foster had bloat surgery it was a week before they could get paid because we were getting some donations and I am lucky to have a very good vet and they did not mind waiting.

She will also pay for food but we have 2 dogs of our own and they all eat the same (nutro) so I don't mind another mouth to feed.
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Thank you to all of you that replied. Your answers all sound reasonable and responsible. I have to admit I was thinking the same way as you guys

Thanks again.
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Foxy's Canine Companions

Our fosters never pay for vet care. They may take them to the vets for the appointment but they never pay a bill it is added to our account. Should they use their own vet without approval from us then they are not reimbursed, this is stated very clearly on the Foster Guidelines sheet they are given and is also explained at the time they begin fostering.

You should never have to pay a vet bill yourself. If you do, and this should only be for a very minor amount, you should be reimbursed within the week.

Hope this helps.
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes my fosters do,and are reimbursed when I receive the bill.Most rescues that I deal with also operate this way,it is not out of the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintail
My question to other rescue groups and foster Mom's and Dad's on here is this......do your foster homes pay for the vetting out of their own pockets, and how long do you expect the foster homes to wait to be re-imbursed?

Kintail