Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Question RE: excessive hunger. Nanook is a piggy!

Don't know if anyone can help with this question, but I'm hoping so! The Vet is closed, or I'd call her again. Nanook is on steroids (Prednisone 50mg). He also is on Clyndamyacin and another antibiotic for Round Worms and Giardia. He has had a huge appetite since we first got him. The vet advised we can feed more than the suggested feeding on the bag, which we do. It suggests 4 1/4 cups a day, we feed him about 5.5. I know his appetite is increased due to the problems he has and the steroids, but it's insane! We will feed him, then not 10-15 minutes later he is camping by the pantry, howling, scratching and trying to get in. We give him treats (fibre cookies and raw carrots) but it doesn't seem to help. The last 2 nights he has woke me up every hour or so howling and wanting to eat. He will not go back to sleep until he has something, then will do the same thing all over again. I'm exhausted and don't have a clue what to do! I know it isn't "normal" behaviour, but could it be considered normal due to the circumstances? Should we be feeding him more? He just finished the worm and Giardia meds tonight, was on a 5 day course. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Robyn
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Doggie Wench

Until the vet lets you know what might be causing the excessive hunger, perhaps you can mix his kibble with some wet food (yogurt, peanut butter, unsalted cottage cheese, cheez whiz, baby food, etc), stuff into Kongs, throw into the freezer, and then feed it to him frozen. It should keep him pretty busy and take quite a bit longer to eat. You're going to have to invest in 2 or 3 extra large size ones though. Maybe the longer process of eating will satisfy his hunger somewhat.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Until the vet lets you know what might be causing the excessive hunger, perhaps you can mix his kibble with some wet food (yogurt, peanut butter, unsalted cottage cheese, cheez whiz, baby food, etc), stuff into Kongs, throw into the freezer, and then feed it to him frozen. It should keep him pretty busy and take quite a bit longer to eat. You're going to have to invest in 2 or 3 extra large size ones though. Maybe the longer process of eating will satisfy his hunger somewhat.
That's a great idea, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Thank you for the fast response luckypenny! We do give him probiotic yogurt (both dogs get a cup every night before bed with supplement powder). I did try the Kong stuffed with peanut butter last night, but the next 3 bowel movements he had were very runny/mucus. I don't know if it was the peanut better or just him being sick, but I was afraid to give him more. I guess maybe I'll try it again tonight. If it does the same thing, I'll know better for the next time
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I suspect it's the pred, Robyn. It stimulates both the appetite and drinking. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for getting you some sleep When Evan was on pred, it wasn't the hunger so much, but the excessive peeing that kept us up. He had to go out to pee at least every two hours, sometimes even more frequently. The best thing we came up with was to rotate nights--one of us would sleep in the living room with Evan and let him out as needed, the other would get the bed and a good night's sleep. Next night we'd switch. You still end up short on sleep, but at least you're getting some rest on your night 'off'.

I wouldn't feed him any more total volume, but it might help if you spread the amount he's getting now into smaller more frequent feedings. It'll take him a day or two to get used to the new schedule and he may cry at first thinking he's not getting his full meal, but he'll figure out that more is coming soon and settle into the new schedule.

How soon do you think you'll be able to start weaning him off the pred?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I suspect it's the pred, Robyn. It stimulates both the appetite and drinking. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for getting you some sleep When Evan was on pred, it wasn't the hunger so much, but the excessive peeing that kept us up. He had to go out to pee at least every two hours, sometimes even more frequently. The best thing we came up with was to rotate nights--one of us would sleep in the living room with Evan and let him out as needed, the other would get the bed and a good night's sleep. Next night we'd switch. You still end up short on sleep, but at least you're getting some rest on your night 'off'.

I wouldn't feed him any more total volume, but it might help if you spread the amount he's getting now into smaller more frequent feedings. It'll take him a day or two to get used to the new schedule and he may cry at first thinking he's not getting his full meal, but he'll figure out that more is coming soon and settle into the new schedule.

How soon do you think you'll be able to start weaning him off the pred?

We feed him 3 times a day right now so he doesn't feel he is going so long without food lol, poor little guy. And yes, the pred makes him drink/pee alot more as well. Thank you for the advice, I'll take the shift tonight and let hubby have a break! He's been so good with taking care of the boys.

He's on 50 mg for another 2 days then goes down to 10mg for the next 2 weeks.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Holy catz!! Yep, that's a big dose of pred!! Once he gets down to 10 mg, I think you'll see a big improvement!

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, had no idea what a dose "should" be! But I guess it makes sense that it was a large one. She gave him a large shot, then put him on the pills. I think it was to reduce swelling in his brain/spinal cord. So 2 more days of the 50mg dose... ahhhh!

But at least it gives me something to look forward to in a few days!!
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It sounds like he's responding well to treatment (give or take a little lost sleep)! I'm so glad!

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
I don't know if it was the peanut better or just him being sick, but I was afraid to give him more. I guess maybe I'll try it again tonight. If it does the same thing, I'll know better for the next time
You can mix his kibble with a good quality canned food or even make your own "mush" with some boiled meat and sweet potatoes and throw into a blender with some cooking water. You can feed him all his meals frozen out of a Kong. About 2/3 a cup fits into an extra large size Kong so you split up his meals to 6 frozen Kongs a day. That could keep him busy for hours and I promise he'll love you for it.