Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Apparently not everyone agrees about spaying and neutering

I posted this under a spay neuter thread but think that thread has died out so I am posting it here instead, as I think the responses I am getting on this other forum are interesting to say the least.

I was just over on the UK site that I visit, and they are doing a poll on spaying and neutering and the majority of people are against it! I answered and said I would definately have my dog spayed or neutured. This is what I wrote.

Quote:
Well in Canada it is pretty much expected that you will spay or neuter your dog. Especially if you are not planning to breed. There are some people that don;t know alot about breeding and think it would be fun to get their two same breed dogs together, I personally think this is a bad idea as they may not know the history of the dog, or they could even be related. There is also lots of mixed breeds in the shelters here, so here we want to keep the dog population down as there is already too many that need homes. I definatley plan to spay or neuter my dog. Which I hope I will be getting sometime soon

"The response was irresposible pet owners would not spay or neuter their dogs anyways, and a responsible dog owner should have the right to have their dog "entire" or not fixed. "I personally wouldn't want to risk a male dog coming over our fence,or even trying to get in our yard, or may male dog sneaking out to find some female then dealing with all the unwanted puppies no thanks.

I would be happy to post the link if it is not an invasion of privacy.
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:42 PM

What I think is totally weird it that they adopt out rescue Great Danes (from reputable dane rescues in the UK) and they don't spay or neuter them prior to placment and they don't demand that the new owners do it either.

The most disgusting thing I heard was that a couple of individuals started up a Dane Rescue in the UK with the purpose of cherry picking the best dogs for themselves. One individual involved was actually planning on breeding one of the rescue danes she got, but another member caught wind of what she was up to and stopped her from getting the registration papers on the dog. The rescue folded soon after, leaving the adopters and foster carers hanging with no support whatsover.

This dog just had her 2nd birthday so it will be interesting to see if this so-called "rescuer" breeds her or not. She has also posted in the past week that this girls brother (whom she also owns) has CHD.

My cousin lives in Norway and over there it is very uncommon for people to spay or neuter their pets. Probably be cause it's very expensive. Many people give their cats birth control pills.

Surprisingly even with the lack of speutering there are not that many homeless dogs. They don't have any SPCA's or Humane Society's over there. There are a few private dog and cat rescues.

The feral cat problem is an issue though. Given the temperate climate down south and along the coast there are alot of feral cats.
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:47 PM
owned by Tucker

I have always believed if spay and neuter, I have always had my dogs neutered, even when people said that I should breed my purebred BC, I stood my ground and had him neutered. He would have made a lovely daddy though.
Attached Images

Old June 12th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Cat Whisperer

Personally, I think people who are against spaying and neutering are doing a little too much relating to their pets. I know a lot of guys who don't have their male pets neutered because "OMG it's cruelszor!".

Newsflash, your dog doesn't care about his family jewels. Your female dog does not "want" to have puppies, anymore than she "wants" a high-paying public relations career. I'll leave my animals unfixed whenever they're paying for their own birth control. :P
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Here is my latest reply on the other forum:

It seems not all but some of them think if you are not responsible enough to have an unaltered pet and be able to keep it confined so no other dog can impregnate it or it impregnate another dog then you are not responsible enough and should not own a dog. Here is my response I guess I better be careful over there or they may not like me too much.

Quote:
I do respect your choice but here are more of the reasons that I do plan to spay or neuter.

http://www.ida.net/org/bhs/spay.html

Also as an English Cocker spaniel is not a popular breed over here, I think I would be disrespecting the breeders by not getting my pup spayed or neutured and risking another dog coming into our yard and having puppies. I believe it may even be in the contract at least in some to have them fixed.
They realize that certain cancers are prevented in dogs by altering them..but then went on to say. Then maybe they should remove other parts, likes ears as they could be prone to cancer and they don't really use them anyways. (sarcastic)
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM

I find that weird because I had the impression that their vet care was a bit ahead of ours...

I maintain that the only reason people don't castrate their males is because THEY are men. How many men cringe at the thought of their beloved dog "losing his manhood"? I feel sorry for people "who know a guy who knows a guy who had his dog fixed and there was this problem and that problem and the dog died and he should have never have had the dog fixed" and they let some anecdotal bull sway them irreversibly to the other side.
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Personal servant to Joey

The vets in the UK advocate spaying and neturing, but not neccessarily the owners, I don't know if it is different for non purebred dogs.
23% said yes they are altered
7 said yes but they regret it
34% said they would not do it
34% said they are not done, but may do it in the future. I would put a link in to the poll but not sure if I can do that.