Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Cockatiel mating dance~

I found my cockatiel doing her little mating song and dance last night for the Budgie!!

I've read they cannot have babies... do u think she will still lay eggs?
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I dont think that she'll lay an egg (its possible but not likely). Cockatiels go through periods of time were they act differently then normal because its "mating season" for them. I dont have any female cockatiels so im not sure what they do at these times, but when cockatiels have babies its the male who protects the egg so my bird Ed gets really defensive and territorial. Im not sure if you were asking about the cockatiel having a baby with your budgie or not, but thats definetly not possble! If she does lay and egg and you dont have any male cockatiels it wont hatch.
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM

nono . i know they can't have babies.

Before when my cockatiel did the mating dance thing, she would sit on me with her tail up in the air while she like lifts her shoulders up and down and does this warbley song.... She did that a bunch of times then laid four eggs! she sat on them and everything.... then after a while she just buried them and left them on the bottom.

But i'm just curious if you think she will ever take on the budgie as her "mate" if she's done that with me?
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .unknown.
But i'm just curious if you think she will ever take on the budgie as her "mate" if she's done that with me?

I would think that she could consider your budgie to be her mate... after all she considers you her mate... I think one of my cockatiels has always considered me his mate but the other one right now has a fondness for a stuffed animal!(well have to see how that relationship works out! ) Do your cockatiel and budgie preen each other? if they do then they more than likely consider each other to be mates. Also, since she laid eggs before she could possibly lay them again, like i said ive never had a female bird(ive been blessed with all males ) so im not sure about the connection between her "mating dance" and laying eggs...
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM

i caught the budgie mounting the cockatiel the other day! He was preening her as well.

I guess we'll see if she lays some eggs!
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:44 AM

"old thread, I know" shame on me....lol
Females will lay eggs whether they have a mate or not, they will simply not be fertile.
Ours goes through the egg laying state , they will they one generally every other day, up to 5-7 eggs in the clutch. Once you notice she has went a few days without laying anymore....simply take them away.