Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:47 PM
You can call me DOG!

Smile Summer Flowers-Part 2!

Did a walk about the other day and stopped to smell the flowers!

Ice Girl Rose tucked in behind Summer Tall Phlox and Yucca's. Great crop of Yucca's this year! Counted 13 flowers amongst 3 plants!

Name:  101_2794.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  78.7 KB

Shasta Daisies next to Euonymus. Pruned the Euonymus hard last year due to painting the house so it's only about 5 feet tall.

Name:  101_2796.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  76.5 KB

Old Rose (Parentage unknown) amongst wild morning glory that I can't stand and can't control and my hummingbird feeder.

Name:  101_2657.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  82.9 KB

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; July 11th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:54 PM
You can call me DOG!

Just a couple more shots....

Wow, they look so tall!

Name:  101_2795.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  86.7 KB

More Daisies next to rain barrel which has been keeping itself full at least once a week!

Name:  101_2797.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  75.8 KB

Can't forget my little feathered friends!

Name:  101_2764.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  54.5 KB

The end!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Beautiful!!! Now come work on mine please.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Very pretty, klm Love the color of your summer phlox!!! And those creamy blooms? Are those the yucca? Very striking!

Do you think your 'morning glory' might be some type of bindweed? I think they're in the same family, but bindweed can be really difficult to control

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

It's all beautiful, klm. Are you the gardener, or do you get someone in? If it's you I think you do a great job of knowing which plants go well together. The red rose is so beautiful, and that Euonymus is interesting. They will grow in our area, I found out that much, but can't find one yet that looks like yours. Do you know what its full name is?
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Yes Hazel; It's bindweed. I studied up on it last year and found that the root of bindweed will grow in excess of 40' per root.

The more you try to uproot the morning glory bindweed, the more it promotes growth. I must do something this fall with that one flower bed or else I'm going to lose my very old Kirkland roses.

Goldfields, I do believe the variety I have is a Chollipo Euonymus variety. Mine in particular has grown in excess of 10 feet but had to prune it back very hard last spring so we could stain the side of our house. Fortunately, it seems to have survived the trim and will leave it alone for another 10 years! hopefully

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll have to Google it, the only one in my Botanica that looked remotely similar was one whose common name was Emerald n Gold, but it was gold where yours looks white or cream.
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Every article I have found on getting rid of bindweed says to use roundup with a small paintbrush. I just keep pulling it up. Eventually it goes away.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...060716313.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

Do you think Dalton Mcquinty may have a stash of roundup available?

I read that if you pull out the upper growth it promotes the roots to spawn even more and that's what I've done in the past.

I've totally lost a peony plant, candytuft phlox, lolipop lilies, rubarb, a Yucca and 3 very old rose climbers amongst this bindweed.

The only way to get rid of this is to take out the entire bed and turn it into a lawn surface and let the lawn care technicians slap on their weed chemicals.

We've tried for the last three years to get this crap under control and have concluded that we're going to end up losing this flower bed come fall.

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Do you have friends in the States that can bring some over for you? You wouldn't need much. I think I may even have a bit here somewhere.
I still have some invading small patches around here but most has died out. I originally dug very very carefully in the area it was growing the most in and ever so gently worked at getting the largest part of the root out of the ground. I also took out as many little pieces of broken off root I could find. Time consuming yes but worth it if you have some plants that mean a lot to you.
If you think you are going to lose that bed could you move the roses you want to keep? Prune them way back and try to move them to a different area? Then you could work on getting rid of the false morning glory. Hot water and vinegar may do the trick if you are willing to move the plants you want to save and then don't care what happens to the bed.

Old July 14th, 2010, 05:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

Here are pictures of the bindweed.

The "humps" are the 3 rose bushes and a peony plant that are being strangled.

Then there's a Yucca and last one is a sign that a Rose is still giving life while being strangled.

My only concern about digging out the plants and setting them somewhere else is that the bindweed could potentially replant itself in the new location.

Fortunately, we live a stone throw away from the U.S. and DH has been wanting to get over there to buy personal quantities of Killex and round up.

If I do anything, I think I'm just going to wait till fall and make the attempt. It's just so frustrating to see the bed in this condition and can only hope there will be life underneath this predator.
Attached Images

Old July 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Holy crap! I didn't realize it was that much of an infestation, klm! I hope you can get rid of it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."