Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM

Cat has pale gums, should I be alarmed?

I was doing some searches on why my cat breathes through his mouth, and found that it could be any number of reasons from fatigue, low stamina, hyperventillation, asthma, etc. Until I stumbled upon a site that talked about feline anemia. I went through the symptoms list and only two really apply, one in that my cat can become fatigued quickly IF I have him chase a little bit of string round and round in a circle for a minute straight. And second, his gums are fairly pale, but not totally white.

Pale gums are a sign of low RBC count, which could also be any number of problems from leukemia, to feline aids, to infection. So I went from an innocent google search to the possibility of my cat having leukemia or worse. Should I be freaking out right now?

P.S. I've had my cat for about 5 months now, and behaviourly, he's more or less the same. The mouth breathing thing was part of him since he was a kitten when I got him, and the pet store didn't mention anything about anemia.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well I would definitely get your kitty in to the vet for some tests. I too have a mouth breather, who is winded easily due to a bad infection when he was young. But that paired with the pale gums would have me worried too, just because well that's the way all us pet parents are... I'm sure the vet could clear up your fears, so get in soon before you worry yourself sick about it. that it's nothing serious!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
-

I agree 110%.

A person should never try to diagnose their pet (or themselves) by using the internet. You should ALWAYS go to the vet/doc first and then you read up on what the affliction is.

Good luck .....I hope it's nothing serious and please keep us posted.