Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM

Jumping up and keeping dog out of a room

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted and have a few questions. Things, for the most part, are going really well. Indy, my golden, is now 14 months. I don't know if she's going through a "phase"...but she's started jumping up on the counters ALL the time. Sometimes, when's she is really excited...she also jumps up on people (e.g. if visitors come over). We will say "Off" and she gets off almost immediately ("almost!" ) but I want to get it to the point where she just doesn't jump up in the first place. Mind you...my counters have never been cleaner! But if there was any food within reach (or kleenex, or saran wrap...)it would be gonezo!! When she tried to jump on me (Which doesn't happen very often) but occasionally she goes into "crazy mode" and NOTHING will stop her. I say "off", I hold her paws, I turn my back and she just keeps going. I am just wondering what I should do about this? Go back to keeping her on a leash in the house? (which isn't my first choice but will do it if necessary!). Any other ideas? Has "off" just lost its effectiveness?
She was pulling like mad on her leash so I finally broke down and got the Gentle Leader. HUGE difference. I can now actually correct her and teach her "out" or "leave it" without it being this huge (and I am sure entertaining) wrestling match on the street! She seems to be tolerating it. She'll stop every now and then and try to rub it off her nose but will then keep going. At least walking is enjoyable again..a.nd my shoulder's aren't dislocating! I am hoping to use this for a few months and try to go back to a regular leash.
Lastly, my bf and I are differing on the subject of the wood floors in our living room. Right now, baby gates are up so Indy has the run of half the house (all of the kitchen and basement). Eventually, I want to be able to allow her freedom to the whole house while we are home. I don't mind keep her gated when we are gone (and we have a cat as well so it's also for his safety) but I am getting tired of steppnig over babygates! Problem is my bf doesn't want the dog to ruin the floors. I do understand that as they are nice but is there any way to teach her to not go into that room?It's kind of an "open concept" house so there's no way to just close the door. There is a "doorway" though...so how would I go about teaching her she's only allowed in when she's given permission? (Or am I dreaming in techni-colour over here)

Sorry for the long post! I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on any or all of the above!
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM

I think most dog owners go through the jumping up stage with their puppies; however, it can be more frustrating when the dogs are of a larger breed--especially when they get bigger! I have used a few techniques to curb this behavior, including the ones you mentioned: holding their paws while saying "off," and turning your back to them. Both can and will work if they are demonstrated consistently. Two other techniques I have heard of is walking towards and directly INTO the dog when they are in the jump position. The other is placing your knee into their chests when they are in the jump position, to back them off (I have not tried this one). It is important that your voice when saying "off" reflects that you really mean it and are not playing around with them. When visitors arrive at your home, you could work on training your dog(s) to either remain in the sit or down position until prompted to move or until the visitors approach them and greet them. This is what we are working with our two golden girls on because they also get overly excited when visitors arrive at the home. They do not usually jump up on people anymore, but occassionally, they might slip up

As far as jumping up on the kitchen counters--I am not sure how to curb that behavior, as I have never experienced that problem. Can you call an obedience center and ask a trainer? Curbing that particular behavior is one that I would put at the top of my training list.

We used the gentle leader with one of our goldens when she was a puppy, but she never became comfortable with it. We then transitioned her to a pinch collar (NOT a choke collar) because this is what she had to wear in her training classes. Our other golden wears a pinch collar to her training classes and usually walks with a harness, which works really well; however, she does not like it anymore, as she prefers to wear the pinch collar. If you do not like the idea of pinch collars, perhaps think about trying a harness, if Indy cannot get comfortable with the gentle leader.

Now, concerning the baby gates, you can buy the kind that screw into the wall and have a little lift handle to open and close them so that you do not have to keep stepping over them. Some people have invisible fencing inside their house and they train their dogs where they can and cannot be within the home--pretty neat idea. And, you can buy extra, extra, extra long open/close gates for entrances into almost any size room. Have you looked in any of the pet magazines like JB Wholesale or Dr.'s Foster & Smith? I know that you can train dogs to stay out or certain rooms, but that will take a great deal of consistent training on your behalf
Old September 17th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Thanks so much for your reply! I hadn't heard any replies to this thread in so long that I had stopped checking it! I haven't seriously looked into the gates as I really don't want to "close off" the house but I will take a closer look and see if there's something that doesn't look too bad that will keep her out of the room. The jumping up is still happening and I think I am sounding VERY serious when I say "Off" and she will get off...but then 2 seconds later she's right back up again. I swear she knows she's not supposed to be doing this...so I am obviously not doing something right in that she keeps jumping right back up on the counter again!
I really do appreciate your advice though! And...go Packers!
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM

If simply saying "off" in a serious voice is not curbing Indy's jumping up, then I would try something else, such as walking into them while they are in the jump position, putting your knee up into their chests, or............try a shock collar :sad:

We had to use this on our older golden (when she was younger) to curb her jumping up because she was (and still is) very stubborn. We only had to give her 3-4 corrections (light shocks) on separate occasions and that was the end of jumping up on people. Because your dog also jumps up on countertops, I think that using a last resort method, such as this collar, may be appropriate, especially since Indy could get hurt or ingest food from the counters. *NOTE: these collars should not be used on puppies younger than 6 months of age*

I HATE those collars and hate suggesting to people that they should consider using one because they need to be used with such extreme caution and be used appropriately to achieve the desired result WITHOUT scaring the dog. Some people use them for every little thing their dog does wrong, and that is misusing the collar. When that happens, I think the dogs have a tendency of becoming timid and sheepish. In addition, I think that people who use these collars need to have a patient and self-controlled temperament to ensure that it is used appropriately, and I doubt many people's ability to exhibit patience and self-control with their dogs (and children for that matter).

But, when they are used correctly, they can curb undesirable behaviors very quickly. It is VERY important that positive reinforcement and lots of praise are used simultaneously with these training collars! At the time when the correction (light shock) is administered, you MUST tell them what they are doing wrong so that they know why they are getting a correction. They need to be able to put a name to their behavior and associate that with why they are receiving a correction. For instance, Indy jumps up on you, you administer the correction and IMMEDIATELY say either, "Off" or "No Jump." I would not administer a correction while Indy is ontop the countertop because he could fall and hurt himself. I think if you taught him to stay off of you, then he would probably associate this also with staying off the countertops.

Indy will learn eventually regardless of which method you implement, but you must be consistent and patient. When Indy approaches you and does not jump up, give him LOTS of praise by saying, "Good boy, no jump" or Good boy, you stay off." This will work!!! They need a mixture of appropriate discipline with lots of praise and positive reinforcement. For instance, when our dogs are inside the house and they see another dog outside, they like to bark. When we know they see another dog and are NOT barking, we are quick to praise them by saying, "Good girls, no bark, good girls, no bark!" That way they know that this is how we want them to behave.
Old September 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever
If simply saying "off" in a serious voice is not curbing Indy's jumping up, then I would try something else, such as walking into them while they are in the jump position, putting your knee up into their chests
I used to have a problem with my husky jumping up and, every once in a while if he is excited, I still do. Normally the word "off" in a stern voice works. If he is super excited then the knee in the chest does the trick and he backs right off and sits.
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks again! When she does occasionally jump up on me, I have tried the "knee in the chest" trick but that usually makes her more hyper. But Indy's problem usually isn't jumping up on people as much as it is on the counters. She's an "eater" too so she will grab (and has!) whatever she can reach! I try to "dog proof" as much as possible but...she's good! And fast! She didn't do this for a long time but has really become bad at the counter surfing lately. She's now 15months so isn't a little puppy anymore! I do worry about her eating something she shouldn't but our "tough voice" just doesn't seem stern enough. I will keep working on "setting her up" and praising her when she doesn't jump up. I appreciate the suggestion of the shock collar but I don't think I am ready to try that yet!
Thanks too rainbow for your advice! Indy does know the word off...but I'd like to get her to the point where she doesn't jump up in the first place!