Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Unhappy fur loss in cat??????

Hello,

I'm new here and glad I found this site and really hope someone can help me calm down. I have 2 cats - both are really fluffy - my female cat is fine - she is as fluffy as ever. About 2 weeks ago my male cat started getting little fur balls (not unusual because he's not so great about grooming) not like my girl cat. He's kind of a slobby cat. Anyway, they started clumping and then falling off. I could see his skin the other day. From just a few days ago up to today he looked fine except for one leg. Now he looks like a poodle that has been groomed. No fur on his hind legs. I walked in today and he's missing so much fur! all over his belly.........I vacuumed the house as it was everywhere! Then I called the vet and am getting him in tomorrow morning. My concern is someone mentioned Scabies (spelling sorry) and that it's very contagious..........my 3 year old niece has been with us as well as other company. !!!!!!!!! I'm just flipping out here thinking there's bugs everywhere now!! My cat seems fine......he's like a big kitten. He did pee a few times but, I thought it was the company and whenver someone comes in with a suitcase he tends to go to it and pee (my cat is not well liked by too many people)
I don't know. He only has one red mark i can see on the back of one leg. My other cat again is fine. I wasn't itchy until I talked to a friend then the vet and the scabie thing came up!! Ok..........just freaking out here and can't type cuz I'm itchy now!! (oh the mind is a powerful thing)

His app. isn't until tomorrow and I'm afraid I'm going to get ill. It could just be a lot of other things right?!!

Help!

Thanks in advance..........
Just call me itchie..........
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM
<-----nut ball

Just so you know, the mites that cause scabies in pets are different than the ones for humans. So no worries there.
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like your cat is removing his own fur, since the loss is on back legs and belly.

You say he pees when company is there - he may be easily stressed and this can lead to overgrooming.

Is he neutered? You might also ask the vet to check for any urinary tract problems, which may account for his peeing as well.

Please let us know what the vet says and we may have more suggestions for you!
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
Just so you know, the mites that cause scabies in pets are different than the ones for humans. So no worries there.
hi raingirl,
Thanks - that makes me feel better. The receptionist at the vets though said they are contagious from animal to human. Maybe she didn't know what she was talking about (I hope) I'm fine, my boyfriend is fine and my cat doesn't seem like he's itchy. He's more interested in tearing up throw rugs around the house than his fur. He has been licking himself more than before or, maybe I'm just looking at his behaviour more.
I'll post what the vet says as I've been reading here for a long time and see it seems to be a problem for a lot of pet owners (seems more so for dogs)

thanks again. : )
Old February 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
It sounds like your cat is removing his own fur, since the loss is on back legs and belly.

You say he pees when company is there - he may be easily stressed and this can lead to overgrooming.

Is he neutered? You might also ask the vet to check for any urinary tract problems, which may account for his peeing as well.

Please let us know what the vet says and we may have more suggestions for you!
Hi,
I've calmed down so much after reading. Thanks! A lot of insight around here. We have had a lot of company and it's been a lot of my family that do not like cats. One of my brothers just left after being here with my niece and my cat is terrified of her. I was almost glad my cat peed in my brother's suitcase because he told me I should just put "the thing" to sleep. He has a dog that he loves and I was really ticked off at him for being so cold. I'd never say something like that. Sorry, got off track there --------yes he is neutered and I was thinking about infection because although he does this peeing thing with company --he has been doing it more lately. Everytime my daughter comes home (she just left for her first year of college) he attacks her stuff and pees on /in it. That's something I'm going to talk to the vet about as well. And she LOVES this cat and is very good to him so it's strange. I mentioned in another post he pees /poops on Abercrombie and Fitch bags for some strange reason so we know not to leave them around. But, he's been doing it to anything of hers. It's like he's mad or something. (I have a neurotic cat)! Sorry this is so long. I was just so freaked out when I got home today to see all that fur missing. It was really scary. I will post everything the vet says/does and maybe it'll help someone else out.
Thanks again!!!

p.s The overgrooming thing ........I don't know. He's really a lazy cat. His sister looks like a queen next to him .......she even smells really good and looks as if she's been professionally groomed. Guess girls are just better at that
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Free The Animals

I had a cat lose clumps of hair from his belly, thighs and stomach and around his anus. Within 2 or 3 days he was bald in these areas. When I took him to the vet she said symmetrical hair loss can be a symptom of a hormonal disorder. As it turned out Mr. Sealy had a pancreatic tumor which was affecting his insulin. He also had been developing other signs of diabetes such as thirst, urinating excessively and intense hunger and weight loss.
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
I had a cat lose clumps of hair from his belly, thighs and stomach and around his anus. Within 2 or 3 days he was bald in these areas. When I took him to the vet she said symmetrical hair loss can be a symptom of a hormonal disorder. As it turned out Mr. Sealy had a pancreatic tumor which was affecting his insulin. He also had been developing other signs of diabetes such as thirst, urinating excessively and intense hunger and weight loss.
Hi, how is your cat now? I had calmed down and am really nervous again. My cat has always loved to eat a lot but, wanting to eat all the time. And in and out constantly to go the bathroom. I finally bought a litter box because it's too cold here and with his fur missing. I hate to say it to but, I have a kid in college costing me a fortune and I can't even afford to get to a dentist. I have to try and make a deal to make payments. This vet is wicked expensive here but, they are very good........This mornings app. with just them seeing him and doing the skin test is costing me over $100. So, for $ reasons as well I'm worried.
More worried right now that something really, really wrong with him. I said to my boyfriend last night I'm afraid he has cancer. I had to put a dog down and she was 8 1/2 months - can't do it again........I'd lose it. I hope if you see this your reply isn't that your cat died. If so, I'm very sorry. Well, I'll post later. Thanks again for the help and ideas here. I really appreciate it.
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Free The Animals

Aniluver,

I think you should stop worrying yourself and wait until you get to the vet. I just mentioned the cause of my cat's fur loss in order that you might ask your vet about possible endocrine causes. Mr. Sealy had been showing alot of symptoms prior to the sudden hairloss which it doesn't sound to me that your cat has. So please do not assume that your Kitty is seriously ill, and wait for the test results and your vet's professional opinion. Please post again after the the vet trip, and I wish you and Kitty good luck.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

wait and see your vet...don't panic beforehand (I KNOW it's hard )

one very common cause for hair loss is a flea allergy....I didn't want to post this before when you already scratching , but since your worried about cancer now, I figured this might make you feel better....sort of...

Any news??
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze
Aniluver,

I think you should stop worrying yourself and wait until you get to the vet. I just mentioned the cause of my cat's fur loss in order that you might ask your vet about possible endocrine causes. Mr. Sealy had been showing alot of symptoms prior to the sudden hairloss which it doesn't sound to me that your cat has. So please do not assume that your Kitty is seriously ill, and wait for the test results and your vet's professional opinion. Please post again after the the vet trip, and I wish you and Kitty good luck.
Oh thanks so much. Just a couple of bad experiences in the past and I freaked out. I took him today (to a new vet who I liked a lot) he did very well there. The vet seems positive (almost) that it's stress and my daughter going off and company - other factors. He gave me great advice and I won't know for sure if he's 100% okay until tomorrow when the dr. calls me to let me know the results of the tests - I was going to wait to post, but - really thinking and hoping it is just stress. Which still is awful but, can be taken care of. The dr. said he'd give him medication for his anxiety! Oh man. Maybe he can give me some ! (kidding).......I was floored by the bill. I love this cat so much though. He's worth it. Thanks again for the posts!! I'll write again after I speak with him (sorry these are so long I type very fast)....
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
wait and see your vet...don't panic beforehand (I KNOW it's hard )

one very common cause for hair loss is a flea allergy....I didn't want to post this before when you already scratching , but since your worried about cancer now, I figured this might make you feel better....sort of...

Any news??
Hi, just saw this. Yes I posted about taking him this a.m - I think it's stress. (well the dr. does) they did every test possible and the dr. said he seems to be a healthy happy and well dispostioned cat (amazing disposition) I'm so proud of him (haha) except for some stress. No bugs!! No fleas! I got freaked out about that because the receptionist there had said he could have mange (sp) and it is contagious from animal to human NOT......so yeah definately not good to jump to conclusions and panic whatever before. Waste of time and energy. Lesson learned. The dr. really wanted to tell me it was stress and give him meds but, has obviously got to get the test results back first. So! Very relieved here! Thanks again!! You guys are great!
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

YAY!!! Awww that's great! Just a bit stressed poor devil!! (Not to mention how stressed WE get , right??) LOL

Glad to hear your baby is o.k.!!

thanks for giving us feedback!
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
YAY!!! Awww that's great! Just a bit stressed poor devil!! (Not to mention how stressed WE get , right??) LOL

Glad to hear your baby is o.k.!!

thanks for giving us feedback!
aw thanks!! I spoke with the dr. his tests were all perfect. He's probably in better physical health than me (ha) He is going to start an anti-anxiety drug tonight for one month - then the doc will see how he is. Amazing how human like cats are (I think anyway) I've been extremely stressed out as well and the vet even said my cat could probably sense that. I probably haven't been as loving as I always was to him. Anyway, that's it for this. Hopefully, if I post again, it will be to help someone else out. This site is really nice. I really have appreciated this.
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Aniluver,good to hear,I too have had cats with stress problems,peeing and hairloss...I did have one of my cats on an anti-stress drug"Transdermal Clomipramine"applied on the inside of the ear.
However,he had a couple of seizures during that time and the vet was not sure if it was from the meds or not,but I discontinued the treatment.
The seizures could have been from a number of things,summer-heat or his shots,but he has no more seizures since.I don't mean to get you more worried,side-effects vary from cat to cat,the same as people.
For stress-hairloss(incessant licking) I used Variton creme from the vet and the hair quickly grew back.