Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:43 PM
-

Celadrin

Is anyone using this for their dogs?

http://www.celadrin.com/studies/EfficacyCanine.pdf

http://www.celadrin.com/about/about.html
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:00 AM

I'd never heard of it so I looked it up... I found a slide show of the clinical studies on it... It's a really interesting lecture...
http://www.doctormurray.com/Lectures...rinLecture.ppt
Here's the part on dogs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrin in dogs
20% or 53 million dogs in the U.S have osteoarthritis
Standard treatments are similar to humans including NSAIDS, aspirin or acetaminophen. Side effects in animals include ulcer, diarrhea and vomiting among others.
24 dogs completed the study
Dogs were evaluated prior to and 30 days after supplementation with Celadrin in a dose of 2 dog chews per 20 lbs (150mg per).
75% of owners said pets were happier, had an improved temperament, and were more energetic
Vet reported improved gait and stair climbing after 30 days of supplementation
Quote:
Originally Posted by celadrin and glucosamine
Celadrin is effective at halting the joint-damaging inflammatory process.
Glucosamine can repair damage already done to affected joints.
Celadrin works by providing continuous lubrication and allowing the cell membrane to repel inflammatory messengers Celadrin stops the cascade of inflammation and the assaults on the membrane, which cause stiffness.
The dual action of Celadrin and glucosamine provides rapid joint cushioning, quickly alleviating inflammation, building cartilage and restoring the entire joint area.
Excellent results have been reported by those individuals with OA and RA who have adopted the combination treatment of Celadrin and glucosamine.
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard of it either Interesting information though.
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
-

I found it interesting too. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried it on their dogs.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Live well, laugh often

Update

So I decided to try the Celadrin with Lucy. She was previously on the Gluco/Chond/MSM combo and did fairly well although she is 11 and does have some stiffness. I really notice the difference when she is not on it.

I began trying the Celadrin/Gluco combo at the end of Feb and am now nearing the end of the bottle that I bought. IMO it has not helped her anymore then the previous gluco combo which is cheaper so I think I will return to that.

Anyone ever tried the green-lipped muscle stuff?
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard of this either, my girl Brandy has been diagonised with hip diysplasia, bilateral cruciate disease and osteoarthritis in both stifles, right now she is on Novo Flex and metacam, this has been for 1 month now and I see some results, her hip actually comes out of the socket on its own all the time now and I find that quite disturbing but there is nothing that can be done about that:sad: tonite she is starting laser and massage therapy, I have heard good things about laser therapy so I hope it helps her
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
I have never heard of this either, my girl Brandy has been diagonised with hip diysplasia, bilateral cruciate disease and osteoarthritis in both stifles, right now she is on Novo Flex and metacam, this has been for 1 month now and I see some results, her hip actually comes out of the socket on its own all the time now and I find that quite disturbing but there is nothing that can be done about that:sad: tonite she is starting laser and massage therapy, I have heard good things about laser therapy so I hope it helps her

Awww, poor Brandy. I hope the laser therapy helps her. Good luck and let us know.
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
So I decided to try the Celadrin with Lucy. She was previously on the Gluco/Chond/MSM combo and did fairly well although she is 11 and does have some stiffness. I really notice the difference when she is not on it.

I began trying the Celadrin/Gluco combo at the end of Feb and am now nearing the end of the bottle that I bought. IMO it has not helped her anymore then the previous gluco combo which is cheaper so I think I will return to that.

Anyone ever tried the green-lipped muscle stuff?

Thanks for the update on the Celadrin trial. I am more impressed with the green-lipped mussel and am going to try that when our glucosamin/chondroitin runs out.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/6/1634S

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

http://publications.royalcanin.com/r...ession=1970347

I looked in our health food store for it but couldn't find any. But, I found it here in the Sasha's Blend and Pernaease:

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Rottie Lover

Celadrin is fairly new in the world of osteoarthritis and joint care. It doesn't have as much evidence as glucosamine, msm or chondroitin. It has not been shown to work better than any of the above mention products, but there mechanism of action is slightly different. The bottom line is that you can try any of the products and it changes for individual use. Studies have shown that combining the products show no significant inprovement over one product alone.

As for pulling information of the internet, people should always be careful on where they are getting numbers. It takes years of education for people to write their research and it takes years to properly know how to interpret that information. The best thing to do is to talk to your vet or a pharmacist regarding products and they would be better equipped to evaluate a product. Many numbers are put up in a way to make a product seem better than it is and also many companies do their own research so you need to really look who is funding the research.

Bottom line: be aware of numbers and who are putting them out there.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
-

Quote:
These findings provide strong evidence that GLM incorporated into a complete dry diet can help alleviate arthritis symptoms in dogs.
The above is quoted from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum ....I thought PubMed was pretty reliable for information.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Rottie Lover

Pubmed publishes lots of articles. I could go into the New England Journal of Medicine and still find research papers that are biased. You need to read the whole journal, determine what type of trial it was, who funded the research, etc. Don't just go by where it is published because the information could be wrong.