Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 14th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Medeco keys

Does anyone know the process to get replacement keys for the Medeco High Security house keys? (you know, those bigg-ish, gold-ish, rectangular keys, that seem to be impossible to copy) I lost one of mine running and there's no way I'll ever find it (for those that know Montreal, it's lying somewhere between Pont Jaques-Cartier and Atwater Market... so it's not a matter of me going out an looking for it )
Anyways, if anyone knows... that'd be great!
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Helicopter Champion

I am assuming that you have another key. If you own the house, your key and proper identification should be sufficient to have an authorized locksmith (one authorized by the lock company) make you a new one / order you a new one. If you are in an apartment/rental building, the only way to get a new key would be to have your landlord provide it. No reputable locksmith / key cutting service will cut a new 'security, do not copy' key without verifying that you are indeed the true owner of the key.
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks dogastrophe,
I have one key now, which is ok, but not preferable.
Hmm this may prove difficult; my dad owns my condo, but lives across the country. But the key isn't to my door, it's to the main gate of the condo, which is owned by all of the condo owners.
I guess I'll just go to a locksmith and see how many hoops I have to jump through
Old September 15th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Apparently you need to go to THE locksmith that installed the locks.

There may well be his/name engraved on your remaining key.

Also you should have some type of card that went with the locks - You may well need that too.

I spoke to a locksmith about medeco keys and was told that there may be locksmiths that will copy them but they are few and far between...most will not copy a medeco key just like that. Most will require SERIOUS proof (like the card) that your key matches one of their medeco locks that they installed.

Hope that helps.
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Performance Spaniels

I was the head of Audio visual geekdom in high school. All the doors I had access to that even the janitorial staff didn't were medeco. A crew member took one key off my key ring one day to get it copied.. worked at Canadian tire and didn't understand that while you can copy it, the blank isn'tcorrect and it won't work.. Hw was so angry apparently at me that he threw out my key..

I called them, they called the principal of the HS and I got my replacement key.

I'd assume in this case they'd need the condo owner's verification you live there and aren't trying to get a random key.
Old November 20th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Haven't you considered an option of hiring a locksmith? At least they can render an advisory opinion. Hope it'll help you!

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 20th, 2018 at 02:21 PM. Reason: No promotional links, pls