Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Why not make a place here where newbies can see backyardbreeding isn't welcome here

Not in a mean way,but just something letting them know maybe they should go elsewhere for advice,because pets.ca is not fond of breeding?Which they are not.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:37 PM
-

I know Heidiho , I know.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I mean it is not welcome here,so why not skip all the bs with the posts about it,so as soon as new people come here they will see,Hey this is not the place for me to ask about breeding.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
-

I feel just like you Heidiho. Marko did change the subtitle forum about breed discussion to avoid breeding questions. (thanks again ) but it won't prevent questions about breeding , and others (by that I mean more tolerant members , I don't mean 1 or 2 BYB who think they can suggest advices to those other BYB) feel they can educate instead of just closing the thread.

As for me , my answer will always be the same : get the dog to a vet. I know how dangerous it can be for the dog , as I almost lost a foster over this.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM
-

Agree with Frenchy and Heidi ~ I answer alot of these posts. It is trying and it isexhausting but I also have to remember that I am educating ~ even where there are trolls, there are lurkers/looky-loo's who are looking for information or need an "edumecation".

There's no way to beat them down other than with facts and kindness. We just keep on keepin' on and remind ourselves that "It is August" after all.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Papa D

why not just ignore those post and not reply
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Papa D

i really don't think many if any will get educated on the internet.....meaning here...it will cost money for a vet visit.....thats why they ask about vomiting bleeding and lethargic pets here ....trying to save a buck
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
marley just a pup

Old August 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Papa D

don't get me wrong,i'm only talking about the ones that have very sick pets...post a question then come back a day or two later and have done nothing about the problem.
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
marley just a pup

Old August 9th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Swift Tribe

im sure the mods have enough on their hands but maybe closing the threads before they even get started??? like they do with posts that obviously need vet attention??? the breeding threads just seem th bring out the nastiest in people.

-ashley
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
the breeding threads just seem th bring out the nastiest in people.

-ashley
I think you don't know how dangerous it can be for a pregnant dog to not get vet care.
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is some food for thought:

This forum has 21,749 members who have posted over 400,000 times. Right now, there are 12 members online and 275 guests.

Having said that, if just one of those guests reads a thread about breeding - if it makes them think twice before breeding their dog or helps them to decide to take the dog they already bred to the vet - then we have done a good thing.

As someone said earlier, if you don't want to deal with the issue, ignore the posts.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

No offense to the OP - I have edited the title and added the word backyard.

Despite the 'pulse' of our board - Responsible ethical breeders IMO, are welcome here and I don't think as a group we want to give the impression that they are not.

If anyone has any question about this edit, please PM me.

Thanks!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Retriever Fever

It does get annoying, but if just one person is educated by the threads that BYB is bad and decides not to or decides to stop, then isn't it worth keeping the thread around?

I don't know the numbers but I bet its a pretty good impact on the dog population by just one BY breeder.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Responsible ethical breeders IMO, are welcome here
And they are, but these ethical breeders wouldn't come here to ask questions about breeding !
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy you are so good,they would NOT come here,so true.........
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
Frenchy you are so good,
Well it's about time someone recognize that and you don't know half of it

I'm so full of it

Just kidding people ... or am I ? mwwwaaaa
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
I'm so full of it

I think you need a shovel, Frenchy .....

Last edited by rainbow; August 12th, 2007 at 02:13 AM. Reason: fix spelling mistake
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
And they are, but these ethical breeders wouldn't come here to ask questions about breeding !
I think you're right about the asking questions about breeding, but there are those who participate in other parts of the board who we would consider "ethical".

Personally, I've always bristled at the cry of "We're pro-spay/neuter! Go away!" attitude that sometimes comes across. Not because I disagree with chasing away BYB'ers, but because sometimes it almost seems like the regular members are against ANYONE who breeds, that unless you got your dog from a rescue or the pound, you're a bad person. I'm not suggesting that as a group we feel this way, but I sometimes fear that from an outsiders perspective, that's the message that comes across.

With my current job and growing family, I do more lurking these days than posting, but it seems to me that I don't see as many of the members who show dogs, or belong to legitimate kennel clubs are around as much, and new ones don't seem to join as much. I sometimes wonder if that's why.

At least, that's my take on it.
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM

I don't know if anything would work. Look at all of the warnings about emergency health problems and look at the number of posts that we see about poor animals in distress. Some people don't read anything before they post.

Schwinn, when I first started posting here, I was of the same opinion as you. I was sometimes appalled by the comments from the regulars to the newbies. But you know what? I see their point now.

Of course I've always known that shelters are overloaded and that we don't need any more animals in this world, but after joining this forum, I've heard the details. I hear about people who shouldn't own a plant, let alone a pet. I've heard about all of you out there who put in countless hours at shelters and at home with your rescues. In addition to that, I've begun to realize that my own attempts at reducing the cat population in my area is futile. They breed faster than I can rescue them.

I do get annoyed (see my other post on this particular board) that some people come off rude and blunt, but I guess I need to see it from another point of view. The pets.ca forum can be fun, but let's face it -- many of the posts on here are about sick, neglected animals. Who wants to help out a newbie with breeding info after they've just read a thread about a puppy mill?

Last edited by glitterless; August 11th, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
why not just ignore those post and not reply
agreed
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:14 AM
-

I agree too.
Old August 12th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Just my thought on deleting breeding questions. About a year ago we got our shih zuafter going for a yr without one. Our first one passed on two yrs ago. We were seriously going to breed her and keep one pup for ourselves, and give the others away to our friends and family for free. I don't know if that is classed as backyard breeding or not!! I mentioned about it on here and got quite a few responses suggesting other methods for getting a playmate for our shih zu and the cons on breeding. We talked to our vet and decided to spay her instead of breeding. We adopted another shih zu off a website, she was one yr old and was looking for a new family,,I don't think she would've ended up in a shelter, but she just was not compatable with children and needed a new home. I guess what I'm trying to say is if my original post had been deleted, than I may not have gotten the right information to lead us into the decision to spay instead of breed. I know it is disturbing to read some posts of dogs that require immediate vet care and are not getting it, but I think that with the responses those posts recieve that some people get the idea and maybe will take their dog to the vet. Anyway ,,that is my two cents worth
Dobb
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Working GSD Lover

Just my personal opinion:

I find most of the members but not all very anti breeding period!

If you did not get your dog from a shelter or rescue then you are not welcome here.

Those of us that do breed get called nasty names {not that I care because I know better} but for newbies coming on the board and reading all the down right nastiness...they will just go elsewhere.

If you truly feel you have valuable information to add and you truly want to educate people on breeding....then be more respectful and many more will sit up and pay attention.

I also find it rather disgusting how some come here and pretend all breeders are garbage and yet they themselves breed.
Also how horrible one kennel club is when they themselves belong to that exact kennel club.
How they do all the health testing yet cannot provide papers or anything proving it.
How they claim to breed a specific type of dog for a specific purpose yet cannot provide one link or one picture proving it. The excuse of well I cannot post pictures because of privacy is just hogwash. I have a picture of a corrections worker who gladly gave me permission to post on my website. She bought one of my pups and is darn proud of where she got her pup!

I just find too many dog people in general two faced.

I have to say I use to be into horses and I use to show. I really thought horse people were a special breed of people; {not necessarily in a good way} yet they do not hold a candle to the cut throat mentality of some dog people.

Again this is my personal opinion and how I feel. Whether you agree or not...it is how "I" feel!
Old August 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
-

"It is August" afterall...
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmegshepherds View Post
Just my personal opinion:

I find most of the members but not all very anti breeding period!

If you did not get your dog from a shelter or rescue then you are not welcome here.

Those of us that do breed get called nasty names {not that I care because I know better} but for newbies coming on the board and reading all the down right nastiness...they will just go elsewhere.

If you truly feel you have valuable information to add and you truly want to educate people on breeding....then be more respectful and many more will sit up and pay attention.

I also find it rather disgusting how some come here and pretend all breeders are garbage and yet they themselves breed.
Also how horrible one kennel club is when they themselves belong to that exact kennel club.
How they do all the health testing yet cannot provide papers or anything proving it.
How they claim to breed a specific type of dog for a specific purpose yet cannot provide one link or one picture proving it. The excuse of well I cannot post pictures because of privacy is just hogwash. I have a picture of a corrections worker who gladly gave me permission to post on my website. She bought one of my pups and is darn proud of where she got her pup!

I just find too many dog people in general two faced.

I have to say I use to be into horses and I use to show. I really thought horse people were a special breed of people; {not necessarily in a good way} yet they do not hold a candle to the cut throat mentality of some dog people.

Again this is my personal opinion and how I feel. Whether you agree or not...it is how "I" feel!
Hmmm. I find that almost all the members here not only have purebred dogs, but many of us got them from ETHICAL breeders.

Just so that EVERYONE who reads this know what most people consider an ETHICAL breeder, let me just make a short list:

A) All breeding dogs are shown to championship to show that the dog meets the breed standard as set forth by the National Breed Club.

B) All breeding dogs are shown (and titled) in a venue that shows that the dog has the TEMPERMENT to do what it was originally bred for.

C) All breeding dogs have all genetic tests run to show that the dog is as sound as possible.

D) All purchasers are carefully screened and given a written guarentee. Part of this guarentee is that the breeder will take back any dog at any time for any reason. These people have developed some type of relationship with this breeder and they often wait a year or more for an available puppy.

E) An ETHICAL breeder breeds MAYBE a litter a year and all puppies are spoken for BEFORE the breeding takes place. On the off chance that the litter is amazingly large and a pup or two is not spoken for - the breeder has people on a waiting list for those pups. If not, they will hold the pup until they find the right person for the dog. THEY NEVER advertise on some puppysearch website on the internet.

F) An ETHICAL breeder would NEVER breed a dog they got from a rescue group or pulled out of someone's backyard. Their dogs are registered with the American Kennel Club ( who have been keeping records of purebred dogs since 1884) or the Canadian Kennel Club (who have been keeping records of purebred dogs since 1880) as these are - although considered by some to be "money grubbing" - the MOST REPUTABLE clubs in either country. They do not use other registries that were developed so that commercial breeders who "might" be breeding purebred dogs could get registration papers.

Before you get all on your high horse about asking people for information about their dogs - perhaps you could answer the pm that I sent you asking you for some very simple information on your male.
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:42 PM

I spent 6 years up to my eyeballs in cat rescue so I'm well aware of the animal over population problem, and I did just happen to get my dog from a breed rescue, but I would not hesitate to get a dog from a reputable breeder.

First of all our local humane society rarely has less than 40 cats (and more die, it's a kill shelter), but usually only have about 10 dogs, tops. Of those dogs just about all are large breeds, usually pit bulls, rotties, lab crosses, some shepherds and huskies. I have a small house and don't want a huge dog. Once in a blue moon they get in terriers and other small dogs, but it's rare and many of them have ended up at the shelter because they've been ruined by bad treatment or neglect (including a lack of socialization/training). For some reason well adjusted small dogs in our humane society are a rarity.

There's petfinder, sure, but frankly traveling across country to see a dog that you may or may not even click with is a bit daunting. Not everyone in rescue knows what they are doing and you can't always count on their advice or opinions. I drove 2.5 hours to meet Monty, but he was an adult (thus his personality was already well est) and his foster mom was a breeder who knows the breed well. She talked with me extensively and her evaluation of his personality and temperament made the match with me a pretty sure thing. I got very lucky in that he is good with my cats, but it could have been a problem even if he and I were a good match and I don't think I'd be as willing to travel so far for just any dog again.

There are a lot of wonderful dogs in rescue, but there are also a lot of dogs who are in rescue because they have issues their former owners couldn't handle. If you're a dog expert that is less of a problem, but those of us with just basic doggie know how might not be equipped to deal many some of their problems.

And as far as breeding questions... I can't imagine why an experienced, reputable breeder would be asking questions of a group like this. They have their own networks. People researching a breed may have questions regarding breeding and I think those should only be encouraged. Then they know what to ask a breeder when they contact them about puppies.

Last edited by Megan1967; August 13th, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Working GSD Lover

Quote:
perhaps you could answer the pm that I sent you asking you for some very simple information on your male.

I will answer publically exactly what I answered privately.

Are you interested in buying one of my pups?

What makes you deserve to know anything if you have no interest in my puppies?

All of the information is clearly posted on my website about my male.
His hip xrays; his titles, his temperament, many pictures, everything.

If you are interested in a puppy then please feel free to ask your questions. If you want to just make silly comments about my dogs; espically when you know nothing about them...well I have dogs to work and train.

Much better things to do then play sand throwing in the sand box like children in a school yard.

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Working GSD Lover

Quote:
And as far as breeding questions... I can't imagine why an experienced, reputable breeder would be asking questions of a group like this. They have their own networks. People researching a breed may have questions regarding breeding and I think those should only be encouraged. Then they know what to ask a breeder when they contact them about puppies.
No if someone is asking breeding questions here then they obviously do not have a mentor and they should not be breeding.
I however will not attack anyone as that does not help anything.

Actually if someone practically lives on these dog forums they should not be breeding because they are not dedicated enough to their own dogs. Ethical breeders do not have time to be on these dog forums 24/7.

They are too busy researching their lines, working their dogs, training, imprinting.

How often am I here?

Rarely...I am too busy.

Although we only have two babies left now {they are sold but they are here for additional imprnting} so things will get easier. Well until we bring our new female home tomorrow. Then back to the training!
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I checked your website looking for info on your male and his OFA #'s but it seems that the link I had for your website isn't working anymore.

I sure wish I had time to live on the forums. Between my full time job, my home, my children and training my personal dogs - I don't have as much time to spend here as I would like.

But I am more then willing to try and educate people about ethical breeders.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

*grabs some popcorn and sits back to watch*