Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Can you have some one-on-one play sessions with just your older cat, without the kitten around? Maybe your spouse can take the kitten into another room for some grooming or whatever while you give the other one (what's her name, by the way?) some uninterrupted attention.
I will have to try this more. The problem is that my girlfriend leaves for 2 weeks this weekend. I have a tough time shutting the door of a room to the kitten as well.

The cat's name is Pepper, and the kitten is Clover .

Thanks for the help!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM

I just wanted to ask another question to see if anyone has experienced this before.

On Thursday night I was thrilled as the cat and kitten chased each other around quite a bit. But last night and tonight they have hardly chased each other at all. It looks like they will start but then my cat will go hide under a chair. Although hiding under the chair sounds bad, this is alot better than what she used to do when we got the kitten. The chair is actually in the main room and the kitten is constantly playing near here in the room.

Anyways, i'm just trying to figure out why they stopped playing with each other. The only thing I could think of is that I took my cat outside longer last night and tonight because it rained Thursday.

Anyways, let me know. I'm hoping they will still play eventually!

Adam
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Sorry to bump this, but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice .

Still no chasing, but they still do things like sniff at each other. Pepper (the cat) likes to go under the table alot. I think she feels safer.

It's been almost a month, so i'm getting a bit worried that this will not work out at all. I'm not sure how long this process can take...

Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Senior Contributor

It all sounds normal so far. It will come and go like that i think normally. i have three cats two are litter mates and we added a kitten when the other two were about three. The kitten is now two and gets along well with the male of my other two. Sadly my other female is often left out of play time and didn't like me for awhile cause the "baby" of the cats has picked me as her human. They have gotten along better but my older female will still hide under the table or stay away from the younger cat. Cats can just be like humans and have their off days. One day my two will be playing the next day the younger one will try to play again and the older one will hiss hit the baby and go sulk somewhere. As to her not playing yet i agree try to give your older one some one on one. She's use to having all your attention and is probably still jealous and unsure she might feel like she's being replaced. just two cents.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Thank you for your help. I'm glad that it sounds normal so far.

It's hard for me as we came from a household that had another cat in it. They used to chase each other almost every night. I admit I can't remember how long it took for them to reach this point, but i'm quite sure it was around a month.

Last week when my cat and kitten played, it was like getting a monkey off my back. Now the monkey is back and is bigger than ever! I've started to pay more and more attention to my cat and I think she's making progress. I don't know what's going on with her. It's almost like she is getting worse with the kitten when I had hoped they'd make progress. I'm hoping that they will begin to get along when the kitten gets older.

As for the one-on-one time, do you think that going outside with my cat counts? It's not really play time as she likes to just go out (on the leash), sniff around and watch the birds and squirrels. She'll also try to sneak up on them as well. Again, it's not really play time, but it is alone time where it is just her and I. I've tried going into a seperate room, but the kitten starts whining outside the door making it even mroe strssful on my cat.

Oh, cats

Thanks again!