Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs down Pitts ban in Windsor Ontario

I saw on the news tonight,how Windsor Ontario are seriously considering an all out ban on Pitts,as a result of many attacks by"pitts".
One segment showed how 2 pitts had gone right through a hedge,grabbed an 18yr old cat and played tug of war with it,needless to say the cat did not survive.
The Windsor HS has so many pitts(they did look like pitt-bulls,but I could be wrong)they are keeping them in quarantine in small cages and they are all going to be killed.
It was sad to see,the dogs were all wagging their tails happily when the cameras approached
One responsible pitt-bull owner,who is allowed to keep his two dogs,suggested holding owners responsible,the problem is,the owners are difficult to find after an attack...
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

my friend has 2 stray pits and they wouldnt hurt a cat.. there so nice
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I didn't hear about that Anita but I'm not surprised. It's terribly upsetting.
Kitchener did this a long time ago.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes and we all know how accurately the general population can identify breeds.

Any big black dog is a Rottie or GSD, and any short haired dog is a pit bull.

And the people who own dogs who have been made vicious, or who will kill other animals, and allow them to roam will continue doing it with another breed, since they are not being punished for their actions.

If every dog who will kill a cat is to be put to death, they better start building hundreds of gas chambers.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Since it was on the news tonight,it will probably be in the paper tomorrow.
Other than the cat,one supposedly pit-bull bit one mailmans ear off,I tend to think if that was the case,the dog would have bitten more than an ear off,unless the mailman was Dumbo!!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:27 AM

Hi all,

I live in Windsor, Ontario and we are having a problem. The cat attack was just the tip of the ice berg. A few weeks before A small dog was killed and a few people have been attacked.

The problem here is they are a popular dog, but the wrong people are purchasing or "adopting" them without properly training or watching them. Even last night, I was taking my kitten to the vet, and I had her in the carrier. An owner and pit bull were coming out. The pit bull was happy and wagging it's tail, as soon as my kitten meowed, instantaniously the dog was showing it's teeth, had positioned itself, but the owner was saying, oh it's ok, she's friendly. I had to tell her to come around front and take a look at her dog's face and to move it so I could get into the building.

A small township in our county already has an ordinance against vicious dogs, but I can't see it happening in windsor.

There have been 9 pit bulls dropped off at our humane society so far since this issue has arrisen. It is a small place but they have made more than adequate rooming for the dogs. So much so that they have taken up the big kennels at the back and they had to close a few rooms that usually housed kittens so that the dogs had proper space to move around.

All I hope for is that it becomes mandatory if you obtain an animal like this you must go into training of some kind to learn how to take care of it and to train the dog properly.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Maxime1,Soo many young"macho"men get these dogs for all the wrong reasons and unfortunately it's the dog that gets the death-penalty + whoever got in their way.
A proof of that is all the pitts in your HS,nobody who loves their dog would dumped him at HS.
Through this Forum,I've learned a lot about pit-bulls and actually all favorable,but people here are responsible loving owners.
The man who got to keep his dogs,shown on TV,was in my view not a good owner,the dog,a beautiful tan coloured pitt,was kept on a short chain by a small dog-house and if he/she would ever turn aggressive,being chained up will be one of the reasons why.