Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM

Location: On the road mostly western Canada and eastern Canada
Question who's the boss

I have 2 dogs a female (spayed) Yorkie 11 years old and a female (spayed) Am. Staff 8 years old. The Yorkie was always the boss (I have both of them since they were 8 weeks old) until we started to drive across the Canada in April. I am a little scared that the Am. Staff will hurt the Yorkie if she decides to become the full time boss. What are some suggestions to prevent this from happening when we are on the road ? (we live in a 28' motorhome during the summer months).

I should also mention that the Am. Staff use to like other dogs until she was approx. 2-3 years old but now I don't feel comfortabel letting her play with other dogs because she is starting to get a little snotty with them. Is this mostly because she is an Am. Staff or because of her age ?
Old November 23rd, 2002, 08:09 PM
The Pit Bull Lady

Am Staffs

Typically dogs that derived from the dog fighting lines will expeirence some sort of dog aggression once they hit sexual maturity, you did the smart thing on supervising her play times once she hit the 2-3 year mark. I give you thumbs up for that.

What are you generally expeirencing right now is probably caused by two reasons: 1. The dog is getting older, less likely to put up with crap from the other dog. 2. Because of the confimed environment during the summer they may feel what humans feel too - some time alone. When we don't get "time alone" we usually get upset, why shouldn't our dogs?

What I can recomend is one on one time with the dogs. Take the Am Staff out hiking or for a romp around the area and do the same with the yorkie at seperate times. This then won't spawn jealousy and will tire the dogs out to the point where they won't want to fight.

It sounds like you are a very responsible Am Staff owner, all the members of the Positive Pitbull Awareness Society thank you for this.

-Sara